Nobody wants spell batching

So… we’re agreeing then.

Yeah I’m not sure what this person is arguing for. You can’t have your cake and eat it.

So we can remove the mechanic, which is honestly much more straight forward considering blizzard never has an open dialogue where we can give feedback, and is therefore the more realistic option.

Or there’s tuning it. Which is just open to interpretation and will never be agreed on.

So, for the sake of the game, and for the sake of what blizzard intended which is usually the reason for certain decisions in classic, we should just remove the mechanic

I’m sure that Blizzard intended to have instant server response with no batching

Yep, my only to point has been to point out that A.) Yes people did want spell batching, and B.) That people saying that players never died even though the animation went off is incorrect.

A.) Some stated earlier in the thread that no one wanted it all, in any form. This is an incorrect statement.

B.) Some don’t seem to understand that even if they used the original batching they would still see this happening. There are those that believe that this is unique to Classic and I have been trying to point out that it is not.

Well actually there was an open dialogue about spell batching, but that was months ago. People seemed to agree mostly to give this version a go at the time it was announced.

There has since been some problems so those either need to be fixed or Blizzard needs to go in a different direction.

I’ve only tried to point out that some of the things some people see as problem with the current batching are accurate, so even if they nailed it 100% to Vanilla they would still be seeing those things happen.

I honestly don’t remember a single point where having spell batching in the game was an extremely important feature to anyone. This was never a requested feature at any point even on the private servers that came before classic.

I’ve never seen anything like “yeah this server is pretty good, but I just feel like the spell batching is off”. If anything, servers with less delay were much more desireable. The more responsive, the better. Always. Which is a no duh

In my opinion, any memories about mages sheeping each other, etc. were just chalked up to inherent lag common at the time. Basically nobody knew that the phenomenon was actually a hardware limitation in the servers, combined with the aforementioned lag

So this feature was basically added without any dialogue. As far as the results of it, sure, mages can still sheep eachother, but as I stated earlier the massive amount of bugs, that decidedly DID NOT happen in vanilla, spell batching aside, have lead to the conclusion that if this is the mechanic breaking the game, without any similar mechanic to point at, that it needs to be removed.

1 Like

Just one of many if you use the search function.

So basically he’s fighting for vanilla spell batching.

So are we

Why recreate terrible internet from 2005?

1 Like

Yes but your post led off with:

" I honestly don’t remember a single point where having spell batching in the game was an extremely important feature to anyone. This was never a requested feature at any point even on the private servers that came before classic. "

Now whether they were requested on private servers I don’t know, but I do know some private servers either had it or attempted to have some version of it, so someone within the community felt it was important.

That thread definitely points out that someone on Classic felt it was important though.

So the premise of his post was to make sure PVP functioned properly

As we can see, abilities like feign and vanish are not working properly, interrupts are delayed, etc, so the OP would disagree that spell batching solved the issue he was originally putting forward

So on that premise, he wasn’t arguing for spell batching, he was arguing on making vanilla PVP functional, as are we.

That is not what we see in live

Wuh Wuht?! :thinking:

I think they moved this to general discussion from bug report. So disregard, general discussion is absolutely not a “serious forum”

He was asking for spell batching as it was for PvP, now whether he likes what they have done I’m not sure, guess I would need to dig around and see if he has stated one way or the other since.

He clearly was arguing for spell batching though, It’s the title of the thread and the entire point of his thread. PvP was his major concern, but it also had things that popped up in PvE as well.

Spell batching is what made those things possible, it’s why you almost never see them on live. That is not opinion, that is fact stated by Blizzard themselves.

He gives this example

In vanilla it was what prevented Gouge+restealth from working. With a 5.5 second incapacitate and a 5 second combat timer, in theory it should have been possible to restealth before the target recovered. But in practice someone mashing an instant cast skill could “tag” the Rogue before/while he restealthed.

What? Lmfao. Batching is not what prevents restealthing.

Combat is what that mechanic is called

I don’t think the OP knew what he was talking about at all TBH, just some feeling like combat would somehow be “broken” if batching wasn’t there.

Combat will be just fine without it

Gouging your opponent’s kidney shot

This is a gimmick, not a combat mechanic.

frost nova and jumping your opponent’s stun

Again, what?

vanishing a death coil

This should still be possible, if anything, it should be much easier to accomplish without batching because death coil is a missile.

Seems to me like the OP is actually against spell batching in practice.

If there was an “open dialogue” somewhere about this several months ago, that was long after the current in-game mechanic had been finalized.

What little discussion there has been has mostly involved people trying to understand it at all.

If a handful of players were requesting this, it’s unlikely that would have had any influence on the devs’ decision.

My guess is that the devs decided to design it this way in order to inject a layer of rng that would increase failure and increase playtime. It fits right in there with their time played metric nonsense.

1 Like

Actually he does, there were lots of screwy things that could happen with spell batching, Blizzard has discussed them multiple times over the years.

Things like jumping a warriors charge, double sheeping, double stuns, and various other things were possible because of how the batching was done.

It was the point of the thread to point out that those things are no longer possible to see on live with the new batching that was put on in WoD and would fundamentally change the feel of Vanilla.

His individual points may not be correct, but what he was suggesting actually was, as it’s been covered by Blizzard at least 3 times that I can remember over the years ( once in Vanilla, once in WoD when it changed, and once before Classic came out ).

Actually this topic came up before Blizzard made it’s announcement about it being in. Now whether it would have mattered what players though on the subject is only something Blizzard knows, and being I don’t work for Blizzard, well I wouldn’t know.

The last statement has some serious tin foil hat stuff going on.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say breaking the game because you want to keep gimmicks in like double stuns and sheeps is bad

And turns out, it is bad

Whoever pressed the stun first should get the stun.
Whoever pressed the sheep first should get the sheep

In fact, that’s what happens 9/10 times.

I feel like the people who think it’s fine now probably played in 2005 on a potato CPU and their internet was two tin-cans connected with a long string.

When the sole net result of a feature is that players are forced to play longer to get something done, there isn’t really any difference whether it was implemented intentionally for that reason or it is some sort of happy coincidence for them.

I feel like the people who think it’s fine now are the same ones who support keeping a variety of brand new bugs in the game that never existed in vanilla, because bugs existed in vanilla, so we should keep these new ones.