No sound - M1 Mini

Since the update last night, I have no sound. It’s like the game cannot see my ‘external headphones’ (speakers in the headphone port - M1 Mini). Bluetooth headset works fine. When I use the headset, all the sound options appear in the sound settings dropdown menu, but when I turn the headset off, they all disappear again. I’m left with System Default and Nosound driver, neither option works.

I tried being sneaky and changing the sound to external while the bluetooth headset was still on, which does work but only while I keep the headset on! When I turn it off, the sound drops out again.

edit: updating OS to 12.5.1 fixed it, thank you everyone who replied

edit 2: 6th October. This has happened three times now since my original post, previously an OS update was available to fix the issue but not today. It is certainly an ongoing problem.

4 Likes

I recall wow has an issue with detecting changes to sound hardware. It only polls device list at launch so if a new device is added it won’t detect it without restarting wow.

This doesn’t cause issues with most headsets as they usually use a static linein/lineout that’s present even if a device isn’t plugged in. same with bluetooth. This is different for many devices that have their own built in audio controller, common for USB headsets and also some more fancy line in ones that appear as a new device in system audio settings as opposed to using an existing device/port.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Sound on my mini works fine, but no sound in wow since update yesterday. Did the things Blizzard recommended for fixing sound, nothing works.

1 Like

my m1 mac studio also doesn’t have sound since the latest patch.

1 Like

Hey all,

If the sound issues just started happening after 9.2.7 there could be something going on here specific to Mac.

If you haven’t already, see if resetting the in-game options through the Battle.net app gets the sound restored.

After loading up the game again, go into the System → Sound settings and for Game Sound Output try toggling it from “System Default” to “Nosound Driver” to see if sound starts playing. If sound is heard, try swapping back to “System Default” again to see if sound still plays after restarting WoW.

Please let us know the specific model of Mac that you’re using and the macOS version as well so we can collect that info. We’d like to be able to determine if this is a widespread issue with using external speakers (headphone / 3.5mm jack) or limited to specific Mac models or OS versions.

Thanks!

Mac Studio with bluetooth speakers. They don’t show in the list of devices, they used to, only system and no sound. They are my system speakers and work in all other apps.

Hey Jambrix,
I’ve tried your solutions and unfortunately they haven’t resolved my issue. I was using the 3.5mm jack, but also tried all these steps using the small speakers on the Mac mini and that didn’t work either. I have an M1 Mac Mini from 2020 running Monterey 12.5.

Before 9.2.7 sound was never an issue in game. I also tried all the steps Jambrix mentioned and nothing changed. My sound in other games, youtube, etc… were all working - it was just wow that did not.

This is the weirdest thing but i just installed mac os 12.5.1 and my WOW sound returned.

I use a Mac Studio with the M1 Max chip. I was on 12.5.0 when the issue was happening. I have my mac connected to a 85inch Sony 4k tv via HDMI and audio coming out of a samsung 11.1.4 channel soundbar.

Upgrading to 12.5.1 fixed it for me.

Upgrading to 12.5.1 fixed it for me, too.

Uppdated OS…still no sound.

2 Likes

Interesting. all that did was fix 2 security issues, one with OS and one with safari.

I tried restarting the Mac before performing the macOS update and it did not fix the sound issue. So it wasn’t the reboot.

This is also speculation, but maybe during the macOS update it “cleaned up” some files that were causing the audio issue in wow.

However, before patch 9.2.7 while I was on macOS 12.5.0, or any level prior, I have never had audio issues in wow.

Also keep in mind that audio was fully functional on anything else on the Mac, the audio problem was only happening while playing wow. I could play something in the background using another app and it was just fine.

WoW uses FMOD for audio. It’s quite possible the way FMOD works with macOS was invalidated by apple remotely for security reasons and required 12.5.1 to be re-enabled.

12.5.1 was a pretty rushed security update.

All speculation of course, but only details I know about wow is it uses FMOD for sound engine.

So actually, i talked with someone and my theory above wasn’t far off. The security vulnerability apple found was in audio driver and 12.5.1 did fix that vulnerability and older versions of macOS versions that didn’t have vulnerability patch did in fact block wow from playing sound.

So the short of it is, you need to have latest macOS security update for sound to work correctly.

I have MacOS 12.5.1 and no sound in WoW. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I also Updated to the latest macOS update through Apple… My sound still not working

are any of you using 3rd party audio drivers like Blackhole?

Continuing the discussion from No sound - M1 Mini:

I have a mac studio and the sound problem started with the last 12.5.1 update … I have tried to and been unable to get the sound back for WOW

Having same issue since updating Mac Pro to OS 12.5.1. I found a work around using my iPods.