No more Guild Realm or Faction Transfers

With the Alliance and Horde inviting issue have they made it so Guild Finder is cross-faction yet? That could be a useful workaround if the faction-lock inviting persists.

That’s actually a good question, I’ll ask the person who relayed this to me. I didn’t buy into beta so don’t have direct access to check.

I suppose the biggest question is: will people in a same guild see each other out in the world or not? Will they need to be partied together?

I’m curious if we have to group like anchoring and if we’ll all anchor to the raid leader’s realm. I assume this is the way.

Hello, I’m the person Claresta mentioned.

All current cross-faction restrictions are still in place for TWW Beta as of the time of writing. Cross-Realm is far more lax in comparison.

2 Likes

This cannot be tested until TWW releases as the beta does not have a large enough number to test phasing. RP realms also have special phasing rules that normal realms do not have.

1 Like

Do we even NEED realms anymore? Most MMORPGs runs on scalable computing solutions such as Amazon Web Services (AWS). The server/shard hosting system was retired in 2015 giving way to scalable solutions. I noticed nonbusy times, all the RP realms are merged anyway. The actual game characters are stored in a separate data center and ported in on each log in - SURPRISE!! Well, that has always been the case making it entirely possible to just pick a realm each time we play the game.

Personally, I think it’s only really a matter of time until we end up with a PvE server, a PvP server, a RP Server, and then just a cavalcade of “Progression” servers (WoW Classic and the like).

Let’s be honest here. WoW’s 20 years old. We’re not going to see new servers added, just servers repurposed.

1 Like

I’ve been psyching myself up for this for quite some time.

If you look at some server forums on allegedly ‘packed’ servers, you will notice they are dead. They have been dead for quite some time. I know that it’s not the best gauge of things, but it’s something I consistently take a look at and it’s obvious that either more mergers are coming or something else.

1 Like

It’s going to be rougher for the RP servers since a lot of us have cultivated our own cultures and societal norms. There’s also the folks who take the idea of “friendly rivalry” to the extreme and thus make hating on Server X a personality trait.

I’m also genuinely curious what’s going to happen to all those technical support requests that we get here, on Wyrmrest Accord. Will they just be re-routed to whatever mega-RP server we ultimately end up as?

2 Likes

How do the capitol cities work?

For example, I move Juspion back to WRA but my guild is on MG. I assume what will happen is when I go to Stormwind I will be in WRA stormwind and would need to be invited and phased over to MG to see MG stormwind?

I’m not sure if we’ll know until after launch, since beta servers don’t operate under the same sharding rules as live, let alone the special considerations RP servers have. I have a feeling we’ll still be figuring this out the month after TWW launches.

I have a guild with the same name on MG, and all my major RP characters are recreated on both servers, so I have name rights. I did that awhile back, figuring that it might be useful.

I’ve had the name Kirsy on RP servers for years now.

Actual naming practices really don’t matter these days since TRP will let you connect any profile to any character regardless of name, but I wanted to be sure, just in case something happens when we go live.

Either way, I’m interested to see what happens when Kirsy WrA and Kirsy MG are put into the same guild. I assume they’ll be tagged with realm designations. Who knows.

Special PVP Scenario where you get to watch your two Kirsys fight to see who gets to exist.

1 Like

But can I get all my Kirsy characters in my warband at the same time?

MG has a “buy / trade a name” thread up and I’ve been tempted a few times to request “Norman” in there, but haven’t posted yet.

I would like to think when Blizz finally combines WRA/MG (I believe at this point, it will likely happen), they will understand how attached role players are to their names when they do it and ensure no one on either server loses out.

On Classic Era they combined realms and since then there is always the server name suffix attached to someones name, so if they combined realms on retail I believe they will use the same method.

Norman-WyrmrestAccord would be your moniker and Norman-MoonGuard would be whomever that is on MG. But for players who made characters on WRA they would see you as Norman without the suffix while players on a character made on MG would see the suffix, and vice versa.

1 Like

This is what I’m wondering about to and there is no answer yet, I think.

Since name duplicates exist across multiple servers, the guild is likely tied to the original server, regardless of realm/faction GM leadership change. (original server meaning where the guild currently resides once the pre-patch goes live)

The guild name change is still for sale.

So it could also be possible that cross realm/faction guilds are going to work because essentially it will create 1 big mega server through phasing/sharding.

However if that is the case, then the question is where does one get anchored to, their own server, or the guild’s server. Or are the guild name changes still for sale because they will force duplicate named guilds to pick a new name once pre-patch is live?

It would really be nice is a blue could share some insight on this.
Or if community council could help get some answers.

1 Like

I’m waiting on cool guild news & potential updates like the rest of us! Let’s hope! <3
crosses fingers

1 Like