No AH is the most fun I’ve had in a long time

Brings me back to my RuneScape days sitting there for hours bartering and trading up slowly until I got “rich”.

I can’t imagine not having an AH permanently, but it’s been a blast not having it for a few days. Plus I’ll take actual trade chat spam over boost spam any day

12 Likes

You would have loved the EC tunnel in EverQuest.

6 Likes

idk what it is about NA players in current MMOs, but no one ever likes bartering for prices, or bargaining. Everyone gets offended if u try to get a bargain or the other way around too idk…

I agree with the OP and it’s super fun to /2 THE AH is open!

2 Likes

I like being able to just put an item up and get gold in the mailbox. Although, I do also like wheeling and dealing for stuff too, which is one of the things I like about POE. People just get mad on wow when you try the same thing, even if you see an item on the AH you want, and whisper them to see if they will take a lower price.

The crappy part with POE is that 90% of the people you message are afk.

3 Likes

We moved away from a barter economy quite a while ago. I think lots of folks aren’t familiar with the concept.

3 Likes

I miss the AH really bad but I like seeing trade chat actually being a trade chat lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, but now we’ve got trade in the LFG channel, and people are looking for groups in trade.

All is chaos.

2 Likes

Told a guildie last night “imo this is how it SHOULD be, players trading and making deals with each other.” Just gives the Major Cities and minor lil towns more life and player interaction. But im sure we are a small percentage of the base who thinks this lol.

5 Likes

I don’t think that would scale with several hundred people trying to sell things at once.

2 Likes

Scale well? I’m sorry I don’t understand.

If you have exclusively been using the AH the entire classic time, you’ve missed out on a lot of deals.

When you want to buy or sell something, include a price in your ad. I won’t even bother with people who don’t because it will involve a handful of unneeded messages back and forth that wastes both of our times.

Its like that guy who random whispers you for help one fragment of info at a time. Just ask me straight up what you want and I will be more likely to help than if you drag it into a 10 min conversation.

5 Likes

You’re not doing it right.

2 Likes

Scale as in ‘increase in number of users.’

10 people hawking stuff in the same channel is managable. 50 or 100 people hawking stuff in the same channel at the same time makes the channel more or less unusable.

1 Like

Ahhh gotcha, yes that could be irritating but a spam filter tweak would take care of that specifically in Trade Chat no?

If I were to like bartering or bargaining, I would have to start off with some sort of outrageous price that I would never pay (and I know it), and then spend time whittling down in a back and forth.

I like to cut to the chase and request a sane amount up front that isn’t negotiable, knowing it’s a fair trade for both sides, and to then move on. Someone trying to haggle that lower is annoying.

2 Likes

Conversely, if you spend much time looking for deals in trade, you’re spending proportionally less time playing.

Trolling around the city spamming wtb/wts is an appalling use of game time, imo.

Maybe. Depends on the spam filter. I use Classic Ignore List for LFG to keep that managable. That works well because groups are relatively easy to screen out the things I don’t want to know about.

The problem with a chat based trade is that there are so many possible things to filter on. CIL doesn’t use regular expressions (a.k.a. substring token matching) so you have to use lots of very narrow rules.

What you really want with a trade chat filter is to either block everything and then selectively allow those items you’re interested in buying, or 2) use a filter that supports regular expressions (this would require more setup work but is more flexible.)