Ninja Looting Issue

Hello and good morning! I don’t really know how to go about this, I’m rather new to this kind of thing. I was in a group of BRD earlier, we were suppose to do boss runs
my group leader promoted to find a healer. When we found the healer he left the party an proceeded to ask me questions about how are we with healer loot? Do we take loot that doesn’t apply to our role? I told him no we don’t do that here. He then asked if he can trust it, I told him yes you can did 3 runs and our healer always had first pick on the rolls for any type of healer gear. I told him I needed tanking gear cause I am a tank. So we run through the first area we wipe the trash mobs then Stockade Pauldrons drop. As soon as I saw that I said I need that for tanking, he then says it’s BOE and ignores that while the others in the group try to tell him to let me have it he does the opposite. Our Rogue greeded to show he wasn’t gonna need on it if I needed that. So thus he starts talking trash about how I don’t need it even though I’m a tank an proceeds to say how he could make money off of it an he’s a healer. Honestly it’s not even about the drop it’s more of the fact that he was aware that we all were getting gear for our roles not for money an we honored him as well on his agreement about running this with us an having healer gear! Please would appreciate any help on this matter this was not right an I even tried talking to said persons Officer an they were basically being mean about it an not trying to resolve said issue.

There’s nothing to be done. If the option to click “Need” is available they are allowed to click “Need”. The only suggestion I have is to put him on Ignore and don’t group with him again. If it’s in Classic it is possible he doesn’t know about the odd stats in Classic gear, and that a Pally could get an upgrade with leather or cloth gear.

Edit:
Also that greens could have better stats than blues for specific specs.

17 Likes

Just to echo Ruffle, there is no such thing as ninja looting. Everyone that can roll, can pass, need, or greed. Period.

If he won a need roll itnis his. What he does with itnis irrelevant.

Only thing you can do is place him on ignore, and make sure your guild and friends know what he did. This way they can try to avoid as well.

Server rep will matter. Sooner, not later. I am assuming this was on Classic from the dungeon that was run.

7 Likes

Exactly. Being a healer won’t protect them from a bad reputation.

8 Likes

Honestly? I think server reputation meant something more 14 years ago. I honestly don’t believe it means much now.

4 Likes

On top of that. It’s still too early to tell if Classic will stay long or go unaltered.

Additionally, and this is just me, not everyone views bop and boe items the same. If I’m doing a dungeon run and agree that I’m not going to roll on x loot, it doesn’t include boes unless that is specified. Reason being, a boe is worth the same to both of us. You can buy it on the ah for the same price i can sell it. While bops are worth a lot to the person who can equip it and vendor value to the person who can’t.

7 Likes

Need before greed isn’t in the retail version anymore remember.

4 Likes

Ahh good point. So it was a good assumption. Yup right back to server rep

1 Like

I highly agree with this.

Here’s the main thing about loot, especially in Classic:

This is a very blurry line. Yes, there is gear that has a secondary stats that says “healing spells”, but the primary stats are still very useful for DPS casters. Likewise, on the Stockade Pauldrons, it has a secondary stat of defense, but healers definitely need spirit, and there’s a strong case that +20 stamina helps a healer survive a bit longer when things go south.

This is why Blizzard doesn’t get involved. Above all, if the Need button is active, then a person is not going to be punished for clicking it. That is a developmental issue that was solved during Wrath (and quite frankly, it has been discussed ad nauseum leading into the Classic launch).

2 Likes

But didn’t apply to Vanilla gear because of the oddities in the stats. It didn’t get changed to armor-specific everywhere until much later.

1 Like

Right, but my point it that in the “new” Need Before Greed, updated in Wrath, the Need button wouldn’t be accessible if the gear wasn’t your primary armor class. Paladins couldn’t Need leather armor, for example.

That’s what I mean by a developmental issue. The tools themselves need to be changed. A player isn’t wrong for using the option that’s available to them. :slight_smile:

But did not apply to Vanilla gear at that time. A mage could “need” plate. A warrior could “need” cloth.

In Classic, it’s a social issue. If you want a specific looting rule on greens you need to get a regular group and agree among you what the rules are. It’s harder to have a random player join your group and have them agree with how your group decides to do loot distribution.

2 Likes

The whole “talk to their officers” thing is overrated anyway. Let me explain what that looks like from the other side.

You are a guild leader or officer, and someone whispers you about some convoluted loot drama. You don’t know the person, you don’t know the circumstances, and of course there is no hard evidence of anything. What would you do?

it’s not really a guild officer’s job to manage their member’s behavior outside the guild, unless perhaps it’s something they can directly observe.

The guild’s reputation? Well, I’d rather have a reputation of standing behind my members, and anyone who can’t understand that, I probably don’t care about their opinion anyway.

2 Likes

I know the CS forum is not really the place for this, but some Guild Officers do indeed manage player behavior outside how they treat guild mates. Nobody wants the Trade Troll in guild nor do they want the rep as a guild of ninja looters. Same does with being known to allow a really nasty and insulting environment.

A Guild who has a bad reputation has issues with recruiting and maintaining a decent raid team. Further, most decent guilds like to have amicable relationships with other guilds. This means working with their officers if contacted/vice versa. I had to do that a lot when it came to checking background on applicants. It was also really helpful for Guild Alliance raiding where we needed to team up to fill ranks.

Now, if it is low level random drama from non raiding guilds/non guilded folks. Meh, I don’t see an officer getting too involved.

6 Likes

Yes, the Trade Troll would be an example of something the officers can personally observe. I’ve played MMOs for longer than WoW has been around and I’ve been in all these places and done all these things. I’ve removed people from guilds for being a bad apple, but that’s never just based on an accusation of some unknown outsider. You hear them in public channels, you come across their posts on message boards, you see their behavior in guild, and it adds up.

But I’ve never gone and tried to arbitrate loot drama in some random group because there was a guild member involved. You don’t have the tools for that, and that’s not what they’re looking for anyway, they want you to kick the person from your guild because they’re mad, and that just isn’t going to happen.

1 Like

But therein lies the entire larger issue with “server reputation” that everyone thinks is so awesome:

Who do you believe?

A guild officer doesn’t have access to the logs. Random player whispers you about loot drama, you ask your guild member and they say it didn’t happen, what are you going to do? It’s all he-said, she-said baloney.

When I was a guild officer (back in Wrath), that’s how we handled it. “I’m sorry, but we are not getting involved in personal drama. Place our member on ignore.”

1 Like

I was an officer in Vanilla and BC so the modern loot tools were not available yet. Behaving was kind of important. The kind of person who causes dungeon drama with strangers tended to cause drama in guild runs eventually as well.

As I said, random low level nonsense we tended to ignore. If it was a report from a guild we trusted and worked with then we certainly took it more seriously and kept an eye out for repeat behavior. Enough of it, and they got at least evicted from the raid team. It was hard to get other guilds to raid with us if we kept a jerk on the team. Of course, one single complaint from one guild was not enough, as you said, we don’t have logs.

These days in Retail I would just shrug and say to use the tools in place. If they can roll they can have it. Vanilla though, so much that was not exactly perfect for you was a huge upgrade and helped your dungeon and raid performance. It was odd. Like Druids in cloth.

6 Likes

That is true, the officer isn’t there and it is difficult to take a stranger’s word over a guild mates. You can’t verify an individual’s claim about it, but if you get a few reports over time, that might be a bit more telling.

If this is not behavior that your guild approves of, there are steps you can take. While I don’t have a horse in this race I have been an officer and/or guild leader in a number of guilds over the various games I’ve played. I have always found communication on what is expected to be a good start. In this case I may talk to the guild member. Maybe say “I received a complaint that you rolled need on an item that you couldn’t use. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that, as a guild, we don’t want our members behaving in such a manner and hopefully this will be the last we hear about it”.

12 Likes

The point of everything was it was a clear agreement with everyone, not just one person. On top of that we were being asked if we Ninja loot on things we said no,
it was a fine line marked at the start of the run even when I said I needed that everyone else was ok with that. Only one person decided to Need on it the same person who was worried about my group taking any healing gear.

The Rogue greeded/ while everyone else saw he needed even asked why
But as I stated it’s not about the loot at that point just a matter of why do it
at all if you were worried about loot being taken, but then do it and talk smack?

1 Like