Night Elves and Forsaken don't need new cities

Laugh twice?
Perplexity.

1 Like

I liberated the Plaguelands alongside the Alliance and personally defeated Kel’thuzad twice. Then I stormed Icecrown Citadel and took my vengeance on Arthas. Now I’m fighting against the Cosmic Lord of Death that caused all this in the first place. A handful of Abomination guards are hardly sport at this point, especially given how pathetic the Horde’s defense of the Undercity was.

1 Like

idk Guillotine rocks with her hugs.
https://i.imgur.com/lzgKR5E.jpg

What nonsense! Undead is a disease, nothing more. The Forsaken is a political group of sick people who have thrown away all morality. Not a race.

Not that I was against inhuman experiments … But to have the consent of the experimental, obtained voluntarily and without the subtleties of jurisprudence.

You are a spoiled little fanatic who got triggered that he can’t have his favorite toy. It is rather pathetic to watch you. I feel deeply sorry for the community that they have to put up with your nonsense.

So you admit Sylvanas is innocent then!

Aren’t you the little Arthas, killing your own people.

2 Likes

It isn’t a privilege for the Horde to not be slaughtered by the Alliance after we have a “learn to be good” story involving a brutal civil war as the Alliance High King promises to end the faction if they act without honor again. That is a “their foot is on our neck” moment.

It isn’t the privilege for the Horde to be made responsible for a genocide that becomes the justification for 8.1 to be dedicated to Alliance trouncing them all over, and before that losing Undercity. I get it, the scorched earth thing ruined the satisfaction, but the Horde still lost their city. Hurray, they didn’t destroy Zandalar, which is so desperate for troops to fend of Naga afterwards that they need Vulpera help?

This “the grass is always greener” logic combined with a persecution complex doesn’t exactly give much reason for sympathy.

7 Likes

Well, Blizzard calls them a race:

1 Like

Does this apply to the list of deceased Horde characters?

1 Like

Current count of dead Horce characters is far over 20. Blizzard has massacred our cast ever since TBC. It is a shame how far the Horde has fallen.

It is part of the problem the Horde has in particular, where the Alliance has other problems.

The Horde receives the destructive civil wars, which means characters will die either to drop purples or to show Horde villainy against itself.

The Alliance tends to keep characters, but instead is overly centralized around the Wrynns and human ones in general.

3 Likes

Of course they were better off. the resolution of WC3 involved the sacrifice of the bulk of the race’s power, including their immortality.

Although whether immortality was a good thing for the race… is debatable. It caused a hell of a lot of stagnation.

Nighthaven was the capital during the RTS as well.

Darnassus and Teldrassil were created between the period of the RTS and the MMORG.

To be fair, what makes a race in wow is sometimes physical, but sometimes essentially political, or based on arbitrary differences.

For instance, it’s undeniable that Tauren are a race totally distinct from Draenei. They’re totally physiologically different.

But the waters begin to get muddied when we look at the difference between humans and worgen, for instance. Their “political factions” are distinct from their race, as most worgen are still humans, part of the Kingdom of Gilneas… but there’s Gilneans who are not worgen, who are still a part of that political faction. The same could be said of the Kul Tirans, who have a tendency to be quite tall and stocky, but are very much still a part of the human race. The main differences between the humans of Stormwind, Kul Tiras and Gilneas are cultural. The same can be said for the High Elves and Blood Elves, who really only chose different allegiances and cultural practices based on moral alignment - the High Elves were much more conservative than their Blood Elven brethren when it came to the use of magic. The Void Elves are more debatable as they’ve got Blood Elven origins but were physiologically altered by the void ritual that nearly turned them all into ethereals.

With all that in mind, are the Forsaken a separate race to humans? They’ve certainly got (mostly) human origins, but they’ve been physiologically altered in the vein of the worgen and void elves, making them somewhat different from their race of origin. They’ve got a distinctly different culture to the humans of Lordaeron, and distinctly different moral values. Are they human?

My personal thinking is yes, fundamentally, they are. They’re humans who bear an affliction and have taken a drastically different cultural and moral path, not unlike the Sin’dorei as compared to the Quel’dorei in some ways.

But realistically I think there’s a good argument for both sides of that particular debate.

4 Likes

Pretty sure, in this case, it means: “We let people play this.” (For clarity: I’m just being light-hearted in this thread.)

But I think the real tragedy is how my joke only got a reply from Shernish:

:cry:

Technically speaking, for many playable races in WoW, and fantasy in general, would be more accurately called species.

1 Like

I don’t know, I think the way these two races dealt with the trauma of the Third War undermines your argument here.

“Sin’dorei” was a name the high elves took up to honor the fall of other high elves; “Forsaken” was a name taken to spite and dissociate from the living.

The blood elves reclaimed and rebuilt Quel’Thalas under the same banner it was founded beneath; the Forsaken completely reinvented their national identity and carried over nothing of old Lordaeron.

The blood elves lionize and strive to recapture their “glorious past”; the Forsaken, from the very moment of their christening, were pressured to cut off that past completely. This admittedly might change with Sylvie gone, but the Forsaken’s “we are Lordaeron” bit in Cata was wildly inconsistent with what came before and after.

The Sunstriders are among the blood elves’ most celebrated heroes, and even the disgraced one’s edicts are upheld in Silvermoon today; the Forsaken were ruled by a usurping elf who set herself up as the only Forsaken hero. Getting rid of Sylvanas without amending this was the biggest disservice they ever did to the race, but I digress.

Perhaps most notably, the blood elves’ “redemption arc” in TBC veered them off that darker road they began it treading, while the Forsaken didn’t stop speeding down theirs until the bus crashed and they lost everything.

My point being, whatever political or ethical differences any two Thalassians might have, I don’t think the cultural shift between pre and post-Third War Quel’Thalas is at all comparable to what the Forsaken made of Lordaeron.

4 Likes

It is pretty reasonably explained when considering that while both suffered genocide, the Blood Elves are High Elves that survived, where the Forsaken were murdered then raised into undead servitude before being freed.

Me and Aurirel liked the same post and I’ve reread it like 5 times trying to understand how this could happen

Because it isn’t saying they aren’t the people of Lordaeron, just that their culture fundamentally changed to a degree that High Elves who accepted the renaming did not.

1 Like

But it is also saying that the Forsaken aren’t representative of Lordaeron’s legacy and that they have demonstrated practically nothing that’s consistent with holding a Lordaeron identity, whereas the Human survivers in the Alliance are more similar to the Blood Elves in that regard. The Forsaken fundamentally rejected a Lordaeron identity and demonstrated it with their actions, while the Humans have made a concerted effort to take up Lordaeron’s identity and carry on its legacy.

The observation that the Forsaken seem to overwhelmingly motivated by spite rather than any kind of positive attachments to anything is also a good insight, and consistent with how we know undeath affects an individual’s physiology and psychology.

1 Like