Night Elf Player Hate

People have already answered this, but I think I have the appropriate calculation for it:

Years Horde players talk about Taurajo * (Number of Night Elves that died at Teldrassil / Number of Tauren that died at Taurajo) * (Undead Night Elf Coefficient / Number of times Tyrande killed Nathanos) = Years Night Elf players talk about Teldrassil

In 2025, the first part of that calculation will probably be 15.

11 Likes

85% of the time i’ve seen Camp Taurajo mentioned it’s from Alliance players.

I’d forgotten the event even happened… until of course Alliance brings it up as some sort of weird justification for the constant spam of Teldrassil complaints, as if the ratio was in any way balanced between the two.

I’d say the Teldrassil to Taurajo complaints is genuinely 75:1

1 Like

All you have to do to get the Horde talking about Taurajo again is say anything even slightly nice about Baine.

7 Likes

10characters

1 Like

coughs

2 Likes

I guess if you try to extend the logic outside of the context, into a broader discussion of faction/race identity then I see how you can reach this conclusion. But in the context of that post, I’m talking about territory versus lore.

In a separate discussion of faction/race identity, there are definitely things that can cause a loss, but they aren’t 2 zones. No, things that would cause you to lose racial identity would be the loss of significant characters and the loss of story progression. You actually touch on this briefly with Blood Elves and Orcs but for some reason think what happened to them is the same thing as what happened to Night Elves, rather than seeing and learning from the differences. So I’ll actually explain how your two strongest examples, prove my point.

Orcs. What you descirbed as “HA. Just kidding, orcs have always been eager to murder and spill blood at the drop of a hat” was a significant reversion of existing lore. It essentially took large portions of the lore that had been developed in Warcraft 3, Lord of Clans et al, and stuffed it in the dust bin. This is very clearly a loss of story and lore. It’s a step backwards and leaves the Orc story smaller than it was.

In comparison to the Night Elves. No Night Elf lore is reverted or cancelled by the events of BfA. Rather their story now advances to another chapter, introduces elements that they did not have before, and shakes them out of a status quo that has existed for that faction since Vanilla. Two entirely separate situations.

In contrast Blood Elves were actually in the exact same boat as Night Elves are in now. And I don’t mean your argument that they were handled better, they were handled exactly the same. Some Blood Elves are shown to be moving forward with their plot, accepting the grim realities of the events they survived, and changing to suit them. These are the Blood Elves players are meant to relate too. Others are preaching to an angry crowd in the bazaar about how things were better before, and abandoning their faction because they are unwilling to change. These blood elves run the gamut from being harmless and ridiculous, to being outright hostile.

The difference here is actually how you specifically are choosing to view the events. Because Night Elves have both those adapting and becoming stronger, and those refusing to do so and coming to be at odds with the Night Elves. You specifically have chosen to focus entirely on the Night Elves that are there to antagonize the Night Elf faction, and you have chosen to ignore the Night Warriors who have risen up in the face of adversity and become harder and better for it. You’ve made a bad choice. I’d recommend you revisit how you are engaging with the story because I think there’s the potential for a really good story in there, but it’s being wasted on you.

Yeah, this wasn’t really a relevant response to the paragraph you quoted from. Sorry. Not going to address this, but I hope voicing those thoughts helped you find some clarity.

4 Likes

The night elves, who excel in the dark and were masters of ambush tactics, were ambushed en masse by rogues and assassinated because they were “over-trained”. Elves who have been defending their homeland for millenia were getting outmaneuvered by orcs and trolls who had been there for a much, much more fleeting amount of time. Additionally, after all this happens, they’re shirking their faith in Elune despite having survived worse at the hands of the Legion in the past, and it having been established that Elune is not a goddess that solves all your problems for you. It’s a reasonable reaction to lose faith after such a horrible thing, but it doesn’t seem in keeping with previous characterization-- especially not of Tyrande.

The only “status quo” that has existed since vanilla is that the Horde would continually bloody the night elves’ noses and receive no recompense without Varian Ex Machina saving them.

The Night Warriors have proven completely ineffectual as anything more than a cosmetic change, so what exactly is that supposed to prove?

20 Likes

The Night Elves fought a force that outnumbered them 9 to 1 and inflicted alot of casualties. Rather than focus on that, you’d like to isolate a few cases where a few competent members of the Horde were successful. And Night Elf religious dogma has been shaken and is being questioned for the first time in the history of Warcraft.

Neither of these represents a loss of lore or reversion of story. The first just seems like a petty complaint, and the second is actually an entirely new plot development with alot of potential.

I think what you’ve just proven was my point. The Night Elves, without any support from Stormwind or the rest of the Alliance, won the Darkshore Warfront. You’re ignoring that, despite it being the climax of their story this expansion.

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on that rogue (Lorash?) who was apparently older than the “old-aged” Anasterian Sunstrider yet dancing around making fools of druids who have traversed Ashenvale for hundreds of years, and compliments the Horde player for murdering civilians because he just hates night elves for some painfully hamfisted reasons.
Wait, I got started. Dang.

Then how is the orcs of WoD being portrayed as bloodthirsty a loss or reversion of the story? It’s just showing that the elders of the Horde and mag’har of Outland were looking at things with rose-tinted goggles and ignoring the bad in favor of the good, or treating Frostwolves as the basis for orc-kind rather than the Warsong, Blackrock, etc.

Gilneas and the player(s) join the Warfront, and we’re not given any explanation as to how Darkshore ended-- it could have just as easily been declared a victory because the Forsaken packed up and left after hearing that Sylvanas abandoned the Horde, rather than the night elves defeating them. As an example, we don’t know where Sira is, and Delaryn is very much still (un)alive in 8.3.

14 Likes

Lannister favoritism! George RR Martin is pro-Lannister! /s

In all seriousness, this is one of the reasons I defended the finale to the War Campaign. It seems that no matter what Blizzard does there’s either outrage, complaints or some combination of the two. The story has been from perfect but, for WoW, the finish to the War Campaign in particular was satisfying and brought the story full circle.

People can ask questions or nitpick about various aspects of the story, but there are some people who seemingly live in a state of perpetual agony and anger over the story not going the way they wanted.

For that I refer you to what you said about orcs, and the response I made. Frankly you’re all over the place, ignoring the point and I don’t think you’re arguing in good faith, so I’m not really motivated to cover old ground with you.

Sure, but in that case the response becomes, “With no aid from Stormwind the Night Elves won the Darkshore Warfront. You’re ignoring that, despite it being the climax of their story this expansion.”

it doesn’t actually change the criticism. It just shows that you’d like to nit pick rather than address the substance of an argument.

1 Like

Those 15% are still Horde players still talking about it then, aren’t they?

Example from just today:

2 Likes

To be fair that was more of a “It’ll probably never happen” to the person I was quoting about compensates for events because Blizzard writing is, well, Blizzard writing. Don’t try and think of examples when you’re half asleep and getting ready for bed. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love Night elves because they are good ingredients for bbqs

3 Likes

I bet that’s the same reason Bwonsamdi likes the Zandalari so much, given how happy he was that the kingdom was his while watching it burn.

3 Likes

He saved the kingdome twice and the souls of the trolls goes to his afterlife. Meanwhile Elune didn’t care and all the souls of Teldrassil and others elfies that die went to the Maw. Your goddess probably thinks the same way as me

3 Likes

I see the majority brought up by Horde players.

5 Likes
17 Likes

I’m just responding to your posts. There is definitely a difference in opinion here, so to me it feels like you’re being intentionally obtuse to further the argument, and to you it feels like I’m ignoring and cherrypicking. I’ll admit to being a tad scatterbrained.

The response in question:

I don’t see how this is any different from the treatment of night elves in the lore. If the night elf story has “grown” beyond its previous confines, it could easily be said for the same of the lore changes/additions from Warlords of Draenor, given the identities and niche for each of the orc clans was fleshed out more in the game than in previous lore, as before the clan identities were more or less boiled down to, “more shamanistic than war-like” or “more war-like than shamanistic”.

I’m not ignoring that, it just wasn’t the point I was trying to make. The point was that Night Elves, a faction previously capable of standing entirely on their own in defending their own land, frequently gets made fools of in their own territory by the Horde. I don’t expect the status quo of WC3 to remain, but it becomes tiresome when the “perfect warriors” (according to Grom Hellscream) are more often treated as damsels in distress who need someone else to help bail them out continuously.

Even arguing that the assistance from Gilneas is minimal, it took actual divine intervention to push out an occupying force composed of undead, goblins, and undead night elves who decided that the best revenge for Teldrassil was to… murder more night elves.

16 Likes

Bwonsamdi didn’t stop Zul’s plans, and he left Rastakhan for dead. Saying Bwonsamdi saved the Zandalari is the same as saying the Horde player was successful in their War Campaign efforts.

If we are taking Blizzard literally, all souls, including Rastakhan’s, should be in the Maw, so Bwonsamdi shouldn’t be getting anything. That is unless, of course, Bwonsamdi’s mysterious boss is the Jailer.

It must be nice to live in your own little headcanon world.

3 Likes