Nice Interview

Remarked about this in a similar topic.

6 Likes

Of course he does. He will goose step with the best of them as long as he keeps getting paid. :slightly_smiling_face:

I doubt it’s as simple as that.

I’d compare this to what happened in 2011 with NPR’s Ron Schiller who, after being caught disparaging the Republican party in front of people he believed were part of a Muslim charity, was made to resign.

Later on, when confronted about what happened he confessed that he said things that were–in his own words: “not reflective of my own beliefs.”

I think Ion is in the same boat. He’s just saying what he says he thinks he has to say, regardless of what his own beliefs are. He’s just a puppet. Whatever Blizzard is right now, it’s nowhere in his realm of control.

Nah. He is by far one of the biggest problems at blizzard, yet they have allowed him to produce two pathetic expansions in a row. He is totally on board with the culture there.

1 Like

I don’t understand, what’s the issue with diversity?

WoW has a diverse player base – the people working on the game should reflect that. WoW is for EVERYONE.

You definitely picked the correct in game race.

5 Likes

It inserts a problem that has no solution. This is done on purpose. The coin of the realm is to forever find victims of discrimination in order to perpetuate one’s being savior of said victims. The key here is to continually use the ideology of concern for victims to gain power.

4 Likes

I mean the ebil white guys are all gone so the game must be getting better right? RIGHT?

2 Likes

I doubt it given how inconsistent he is in this interview. His words come across as someone who tries to say all the right things, but the contrarian nature would show he doesn’t actually believe it.

Almost like a Canadian offering a high-intoned “sorry” as he does something that majorly inconveniences you.

seethe cope dilate

1 Like

I hope you meant :phone: :eight: and not the other thing because that would be quite offensive

Be quiet. The OP doesn’t like rational thought or truth.

well thats not very diverse of you to say

Colleges are hemorrhaging male students… particularly white males. There are a number of reasons why this may be happening. Regardless, the number of female and minority job candidates will likely increase in every field. Women typically out-perform men in school across the board, at least here in the US. It would be most interesting if these high-status/high-paying jobs continue to be staffed mostly by white men.

Yuuuuup. Men in general are checking out of higher education costs and time because 2yr degrees and technical programs are vastly cheaper and provide access to jobs that just don’t pay any worse (and often times pay much better) than entry-level work from a mere undergraduate degree. There’s also the various perceived and real hostilities to male students, but I don’t think that is the biggest factor. I think guys are just looking at college and wondering why they should waste that time?

I also know that high schools are responsible for this stuff as well. Colleges hand down to HS counselors the sort of things they’re looking to promote, so if you have a daughter that’s even remotely good at honors/AP level math and science, you can bet at least one counselor is HOUNDING her to go into some STEM degree using some Women-In-Tech scholarship. My wife’s school has counseled more male students on pursuing careers in shipping, welding, dock work, etc than colleges, and some of the counselors there don’t even bother with suggesting various universities or reach schools like they do the girls.

The sad thing is that dating preferences are still pretty rigid, so a lot of guys are dooming themselves to a lot of dateless years because they’re “less educated” than female peers, and women are far less likely to date someone who is “less” than they are in pay, education, etc, than the opposite. We are not setting up a lot of men for success in the slightest.

Have to be very specific when we talk about “high-status” positions since how someone scores a partnership in a big law firm isn’t remotely the same kind of ladder to climb as becoming a surgeon or an administrator in a school. Any report that tries to just lump all these kinds of jobs together because they happen to pay well into the six-figures is more or less just spreading misinformation at that point.

5 Likes

we are gonna need something more than an internet statement to support that claim
from experience what ive seen is qualified men being left behind underqualified personnel because they need to fill a diversity Quota

12 Likes

the whole thing is set to implode
and will be a sight to behold
tons of post wall wahmen looking for prince charming

5 Likes

When it comes to the skilled programs, men in my school gravitate toward automotive and welding as well. Women tend to move toward nursing.

For transfer programs, most of our students are female.

Regardless of the factors of “why,” the trend has been going on for quite some time now. The fact that most of these “high-status” jobs, which include CEO, partnerships in law firms, as well as various positions in government, higher ed and STEM programs are largely dominated by men. Specifically white men. If women are outperforming and outnumbering men academically, and have been doing so for some time, why aren’t more in these positions? And for those who are in those positions, why such a pay gap?

because women hate women
any department or company becomes a battle royale for who is to be the alpha B*
which affects the whole thing negatively
and god forbid there is a love interested involved

2 Likes

CEO positions are a rich person club, where having oodles of money already and being part of the inner-circle of stupidly rich investor folks is what it takes to score those positions. We could fast-forward another 100 years and many CEO positions would remain as old, white men simply because that’s how those inner-circles and private clubs work.

Partnerships in law firms are also a huge monetary investment, so you have to be earning a ton to even be offered, let alone buy in. This isn’t a discrepancy in pay either, a senior associate is going to make 300-400/hr no matter what if they’re male or female, but men are far more likely to be billing 70+ hours a week, week after week, than a woman. This becomes increasingly apparent once women start hitting the late 20’s, mid 30’s range and pregnancy and family building starts interfering with billables. Big law firms are fairly soulless machines that expect everyone to work their butts off for decades, so it doesn’t matter that you had a kid, or had to go fight cancer, or whatever, if you aren’t billing, you aren’t useful to the firm.

Government positions are equal parts nepotism, rich people clubs, and time-in-grade in the right lower positions. The military operates very similarly, although money is a much smaller factor. There’s a reason why the Joint Chiefs of Staff all tend to come from combat branches from folks with 8 different combat tours as opposed to the head of the Chem Corp or Military Intelligence branches. If you don’t score a company commander job before you hit Major in the Army, you’re more or less doomed to desk work only and you’ll never get a command position later.

I want to call this one out because higher education generally is dominated by women, even at the college level. STEM is the rare exception where it is overwhelmingly dominated by men. As I said before, you can’t just make more women get into STEM when most women have no preference for the subject material. Men and women aren’t interchangeable, and people really need to stop acting like they are. My master’s program in ChemE had ONE girl in it, out of 30 some odd students. Every hallway was plastered with “Women in STEM” posters and scholarship opportunities, and the professors would more or less treat that one girl like she was a brick of gold. She was an excellent student, but she was the only girl, and she notably felt out of place since most nerds doing a masters in any STEM field tend to be kinda socially awkward and content to just crunch formulas all day rather than chit-chat or interact with people.

The easy answer is that many of the highest and most lucrative positions in America are locked behind things that have nothing to do with performance, or skill, or education. The secondary effect is that the few that do care about insane performance output will naturally find more men than women, simply because women in generally can’t or won’t put in the ridiculous hours men will. The third effect is that women just don’t pursue those careers or positions at all.

Again, if you just lump surgeons and CEOs and deans and senior partners together because they all make a lot of money, you’re missing all the nuance of how those individually work to the point of self-deception.

Medicine is an amazing breakdown of preference determining almost everything. You get your pick of residency programs based on your scores in medical school, with programs like dermatology being highly coveted because of how amazing the program is in terms of pay and hours (you don’t get midnight calls on a Saturday). Women who excel in medical school FLOCK to dermatology, the same as men, because holy crap that’s the king of meal tickets.

But then the 3 available derm slots go away and the other 190 of you have to do something else. Women aren’t aiming for surgery or radiology, despite those being competitive, and despite those having amazing pay and prestige. Men overwhelmingly dominate radiology because it is the least person-oriented job in the business. Women do flock to things like pediatrics, family medicine, and gynecology, but aside from the last one, those aren’t exactly the big-bucks compared to others. These are also more likely to be small clinic setups rather than big hospitals.

There’s no bias here that isn’t in total control by the students themselves: their performance. And yet the would-be doctors tend to self-select into roles that don’t have the same pay, hours, or prestige. Comparing the male surgeon in a big VA hospital to the female private practice family doctor in a small town who went to the same school is going to inherently skew the data.

6 Likes