New xpack, all female leads? (Part 1)

allow me to translate

“Don’t mention examples that contradict me. I’m correct and we know it”

1 Like

You’ll note when I came back with two female characters that bit it in the first zone, one of greedy stupidity that Grievus there stopped replying.

Well sure, minor unvoiced storylines present women in a normal manner, ranging from hyper competent to incompetent and stupid. The main storyline and important voiced quests were female dominated this xpac though.

My guess is the people in charge of making side quests aren’t really being lorded over as much. Kinda like how Genshin Impact presents a really Disney-esque storyline for the main quests, but really dark stuff can happen in the side quests if you actually pay attention.

The issue is, the primary content people will remember is pretty heavily skewed in favor of women, at the expense of their male counterparts who are portrayed as incompetent (Baelgrim), emasculated (Magni), arrogant (Eirich), or weak (Anduin/Khadgar).

You can build up characters like Brinthe, Moira, or Xal’atath without tearing down every man in sight around them. Like, that is possible to do.

3 Likes

its a tl3 function what are you talking about?

i don’t know, but it looks like. Its just that tier level but worse.
Kyron has pronouns.

2 Likes

Natalia’s death was pointless? Lol. Her character knew what she was getting into, the signs were on the wall from the start.

The point of her death was a ‘be careful what you wish for’ - her greed and her desire to be above others was her own downfall.

She also says ‘greed is good’, a WC3 cheat code reference. It was a good questline, but her death wasn’t pointless.

Again, not a great comparison. Aggartha dies defending the line, and solo’s loads of gurlocks. On top of that, you get all these NPC’s glazing & praising her “she was so amazing” “she will be remembered”, etc etc.

Her final quest is even called ‘Heart of a Hero’, she didn’t die for nothing, she stopped a flank attack happening by herself.

Tbh I was playing the game a whole lot and not reading the forums.

Baelgrim and those 2 other characters are not great comparisons, the 2 women’s deaths have meaning, meanwhile Baelgrim could have just… not sacrificed himself in the dumbest way possible.

Could have ignited kegs with his hammer, could have charged and thrown his hammer, could used even more kegs, etc etc.

His arc was to prop up bossgirl by ‘bringing her back to duty’ while getting lectured for it, and then dying needlessly and with massive stupidity.

He didn’t get the hero’s send off Aggartha got, he just got replaced by bossgirl Lefsela.

4 Likes

Now, can they do it in such a way that people with bad intentions and intent on turning every game character that is a woman or minority (or god forbid both!) into some sort of indication of the fall of western civilization or some such nonsense through bare assertions that never go into details of why the things they decry are doing what they say they are, but just vomit forth a slew of buzzwords as if that explains the point would recognizae it?

That’s quite the goal post move their backed up by HEAVY opinionated view of Baelgrim’s arc. Oh, the jem merchant ignored all the warnings and never thought to ask why it was a bad idea, she didn’t die a stupid death because there was some saturday morning cartoon level moral to the story.

Character who ran the obligatory seven samurai bit gets a moment at the end of the questline where she died defending a small outpost, and that doesn’t count as a similar death to baelgrim because you don’t count that as a pointless death that could have be avoided with a different action.

But Baelgrim, despite going out in a pretty standard action movie heroic self sacrifice (yeah, it’s not the greatest of story telling, but it most definitely is not presenting him in a bad light if you aren’t looking at it with an agenda) And then you make assumptions about his options. Like throwing the hammer, while it is an impressive hammer, the first cutscene he appears in shows it does not make the sort of impact when thrown on its own that it did to ignite the barrels.

And girl boss? There is no way that that character is a girl boss, having doubts in her ability and trusting on advisors to help her learn the job.

As well as the fact that the point of his story was reinforcing the note that the edicts as he was following them were so strict as to prevent them from carrying out the spirit of the command. And that point that he showcased runs through the whole of the story, teaching the lesson about limiting how much you follow the word of rulers who do not have your wellbeing in mind.

What is this word vomit lol

3 Likes

Happy 4k posts in this thread everyone!

Make Thrall great again!
For the Horde!

3 Likes

You cannot convince me Lefsela is not a girl boss insert.

You think that over the course of milennia, Baelgrim and others never figured out how to be nice to animals? All they needed was a womans touch, right?

7 Likes

In what way is she a girl boss? Cause when I think of the negative use of the term, it speaks of unearned expectation of being treated as an expert, very demanding of others in gaining their own goals. And that character is anything but demanding or thinking she knows it all. She’s relying on the same earthen who were there for Baelgrim to be there for her too. You might not like the character, but she doesn’t fit that characterization at all.

As for figuring it out before now, some of that is just for the story, more interesting to be there for the societal shake up than not. So this feels like part of the whole theme on moving past the problems of how the titans set this island up. The edicts were overly binding, seeing them stuck to one particular spot without much freedom to leave and learn new things. Did those edicts give the stormriders and those that cared for the stormrooks the opportunity to learn more about them in the wild, or was it just the titans deciding the best method was binding and then gave them strict rules for how to care for them that are just now being questioned more widely?

1 Like

Could you explain it to me please?

lol, you are seriously stretching here.

The “girl boss” was unsure of themselves the whole way through and needed a pep talk from Thrall to actually accomplish anything.

2 Likes

Disagree, the only stretching being done is by the fools doing all this mental gymnastics to ignore whats right in their faces, because it supports their world view tbh

I’d disagree, especially the the over-arching pattern.

Lefsela is there to be nice to animals. Because no man possibly could. Brinthe is there to take the mantle from evil high speaker man. Faerin is girl-bossing it up to show Anduin how to be a man. Alleria flips the script when she meets up with Turalyon; he gives her the “I love you, I’ll always be there” speech and she gives him the “I know”.

Lol, the writing is on the wall but certain individuals choose to ignore it.

Side quests though, have their moments. “The Notebook” questline in Hallowfall had a choice ending and while it very much wants you to pick Sophietta to be the Captain because she ‘deserves it’, you can at least choose the outcome and both choices have merit

7 Likes

Sure. The appearance of “inclusivity”, which Blizzard is very motivated to have after everything that happened.

2 Likes

On the brightside. They’re at least well written “so far”

It seemed pretty clear that Lefsela is just managing the Stormrooks and will be delegating military matters to the Stormriders or to Olbarig since she can’t ride but can summon them. So idk where’s all this “girlboss” comes from when her character is more towards being a caretaker and nurturer. Not someone riding around killing people with a smirk. Also she was part of a whole sidequest learning about the Thunder Rams and was shown being concerned for restoring rain to the land, and learning more about the elements so she’s quite a fitting leader in the sense of representing the Earthern’s relationship to the elements and the land and animals.

Then Brinthe is basically always seen with Dagran and they both rely on each other. I could easily be all “how come this woman that’s thousands of years old needs some teenager to help her understand basic titan engineering concepts” if I wanted to use those people’s logic lmao

1 Like

Who is portrayed as heroic, decisive and self-sacrificing.

emasculated (Magni)

Who is portrayed as a caring, attentive father and grandfather, who also heroically sacrifices himself.

arrogant (Eirich)

He’s a villain, he’s not supposed to be a role model.

or weak (Anduin/Khadgar).

It’s pretty sad that you’d think that someone dealing with trauma and mental health issues is “weak” but he is coming around again.

4 Likes

More like an idiot without a match.

Which is immediately undone when his patron restores his flesh, we call that a cop out and another insulting stroke against the Horde.

or weak (Anduin/Khadgar).

Yeah people want to see heroes being heroic, not reducing themselves to a puddle of mush looking for us to be sympathetic towards them as they get some discount pep talk from a one eyed, one armed light mad stranger.

5 Likes