New World down to 150 k players

LOL! That’s a laugh. They literally had 100 or so realms with entire faction pops of <100. Sure they could afford it, because they were profiting off transfers heavily. They lost about 10 million subs since LK so… horrific choices I would say.

If nothing else, maybe the AGS devs will look back at wow’s history and learn how not to alienate a player base.

Which was 6 years after launch not 2 months after launch.

And two months after WOW launched they could barely keep a stable server running. You could also say they did the same thing NW did, which was to add servers. Let’s see if/when NW follows the wow blueprint of creating server imbalances and monetizes them.

And still the WoW player base grew and grew for 6 straight years .

New World has lost 80 percent plus of its players at launch in 2 months . The game is a colossal failure . To be compared to Vanguard or Warhammer instead of WoW . To be fair to the mentioned 2 games I don’t think even they failed as fast as NW

Vanguard was pretty much DOA. It only survived because Sony spent a fortune on it and they included it in the station pass.

I think to call any game, short of being unplayable due to bugs, a colossal failure is short sited. Since nothing gets released in finished form anymore, they have the time and money to fix it. Will they? Who knows?

NW is still relevant on twitch. NW is constant top 5 on Steam. NW Youtube videos get hits. WoW took a beating from EQ2 when it launched. It was not the overnight success some try and paint it. It took more than two months.

Actually, it was an overnight success. I remember this well, as I was an EQ fan at the time, and I was quite annoyed at how all the magazines proclaimed it as the new king of MMOs the moment it launched, and EQ lost mass amounts of players.

1 Like

Log onto the game at 3 am to a screen that says the world is full and you’re #137 in queue.

There’s my source.

WoW is dead.

Look up the numbers yourself. You have eyes and hands. Use them.

+$80mil last quarter compared to year before.

Not in the least, especially today when people “expect” completely polished games right on release, completely forgetting how polished games today have been around for years upon years, and were not at all polished themselves when they were first released. Practically any game that gets massive hype is going to see a massive audience followed by a significant drop.

The question is how you deal with it. Not having enough servers at the start results in massive queues and bleed from people not being able to play. So you open a lot of servers at the start to handle the players. Then when that drop-off happens, you merge them so the people sticking with the game still have a true MMO experience. New World has made mistakes, but this isn’t one of them. They created their server set with the express intention of needing to merge them.

The whole mindset of “we’ll release it now and fix it in a year” wasn’t the norm until a decade ago. It highlights more the problem about paid game reviews like Battlefield 2042 getting 8s and 10s when the game hard crashed on me 5 times in 4 hours the first time I played it.

This is 2021 … and when you are comparing your launch to WoW in 2005 and saying hey , they had the same issues sorry it’s not acceptable .

New World was rushed . Even the small map is not unique. They have cut copied cities and caves all over it . They deserve all the brickbats they are getting . Good thing for us is it costs only 40 bucks and no sub . The bad thing for them is that because there is no sub they need ppl buying from the cash shop for the game to sustain itself .

WoW reaching millions of players back in 2004-2005 wasn’t expected because back then the MMORPG market was niche and servers only had at most 10,000 players. Cable internet was still fairly new so a lot of people were using dial up. Computer hardware was just catching up with the first 3 and 4 ghz cpus.