New World down to 150 k players

New World may go down as the biggest AAA MMORPG flop of all time. This makes it harder for even new MMORPGs to launch like Ashes of Creation.

Vanguard and Tabula Rasa fell HARD. Those two had big time names behind them and huge bankrolls.
FFXIV already failed so bad they had to hit the redo button.
SW Galaxies and the Matrix had big time IP’s and failed badly.
Warhammer Online was awesome, but very problematic… They wrecked their playerbase once by charging their subs 20-30 times. I had just canceled so… phew.

I could go on, but you get the point. It’s been two months and they have time to salvage. They don’t appear to be doing anything but screwing up… but they have time. SL has been a near total disaster, but here we are, paying like fools.

I’m really starting to think most people ragging on NW weren’t here on WoW’s opening day. They recovered overall, but boy did they have issues til about 1.10.

Welcome to the new gaming normal. Brokenness.

Exactly. FFXIV went from being one of the biggest colossal flops in MMO history to now being the #1 MMO on the market. It just takes a dev team that actually cares about the game and its players having fun. Sadly, WoW doesn’t have that.

Source ??…

The usual speculatory sites that guess like all the rest.

I do believe that FF14 is on upward trend where WoW is on a downward path though, anecdotally of course.

1 Like

I just visited the FF XIV forums. Its players don’t seem any happier than ours.

I didn’t think a source was needed to show FFXIV started as a colossal flop; I figured the whole “pulling the whole game offline and re-designing it” took care of that.

I believe he was referring to this statement.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: 150,000 players is still alot of players and more than enough to populate many servers with cross-realm.

Maybe with CRZ… but right now if you are in a 200 person server , you can hardly play the game .

Do they have cross-realm in New World?

Nope. And no NPC vendors so if you need to make gold , you need the AH or trading post as they call it. And without enough players you can’t do wars or outpost rushes . It’s a cr@p show .

The way they are going , if they try to implement CRZ , they may crash the whole game .

1 Like

They’re going to merge servers. Something WoW was/is scared to do.

Let’s not forget that wow left 100+ servers with unbalanced factions twist in the wind for years. If I needed something on my horde main, I had to smuggle it thru the neutral AH. Before the first half donkeyed merges my server “might” have had 50-60 players.

1 Like

If an mmo needs to merge servers within 2 months of launch , then it’s a colossal failure .

So what’s the flip side? WoW milking unhappy players for 10 years of paid transfers? I’d rather a game admit mistakes up front than live with a bad decision, AND profit off of said bad decision.

1 Like

The way the servers are setup with connected realms they don’t need to do server mergers because it causes inconveniences with character naming + downtime. I’d much rather see them do cross-faction play because that fixes way more issues than just merging realms.

New World went from having their playerbase being angry they couldn’t play at launch so Amazon had to scramble to add new servers to now talking about merging said servers due to the massive population drop in… 2 months. That’s really unheard of.

Most new MMORPG launches usually made it a year before player population issues hit.

New World sounded fun for the open world, immersion and launch experience, but it’s not something like World of Warcraft where I’d spend thousands upon thousands of hours into. I guess a lot of people thought that way, looking at how fast it went down.

I personally didn’t play it because my computer cannot run it, but I might have otherwise.

The problem with New World is that it’s a free-to-play game after you do the initial game purchase so losing a lot of players is much more impactful.

Subscription based games like WoW + FF14 have shown to be more long-term successful because you’re getting a continuous source of income.

It took years of dead realms and dead factions before they finally implemented connected/merges. Years of paid transfers.

I’m not trying to white knight NW here, but if they are going to take action on low pop servers this early, vs years too late for bliz… good on them. For the longest time blizz made it very costly to move years worth of toons and wealth to realms with actual players.

Any rosey picture you paint of bliz doing the right thing with server pops is dead wrong. They acted about 7 years too late, didn’t do enough, and only acquiesced when it was profitable to them.

Blizz could afford to do that as their population increased for 7 straight years after launch .

New world has lost 80 percent or more of it’s players in 2 months . The situations are a lot different . Plus New World is more a community based game than WoW.