New World, A Retrospect After Nearly A Month

I wouldn’t read too much into NW dropping off from it’s peak, or for a bit. That’s just more about the demonstration of the power of hype than saying anything about the game(…or any game).

Now if it never levels off and keeps going down over the next say month or two, that’s when you know there’s a problem. I’d probably say any game/expac launch isn’t really measurable for a good two months or so to start actually hitting the walls and seeing real issues.

So we have the rapidly decreasing player base and general unhappiness on the forums…

What else should we judge the game by?

To quote a post from the New World forums:

"This morning player count had the lowest trough since launch.

190K players.

Hardcore survival game Rust had 40K this morning. It was released in 2013 with the Unity engine by a relative small indie team."

I mean… wow does that to towns, caves, etc.

Just be Devil’s Advocate

You could read a lot from it. Basically means the game didn’t live up to the hype. Nothing against NW as most games see this exact same pattern but what it means is that you’re not going to see that substantial growth like WoW, Minecraft, Fortnite, etc. did. We know enough to know that NW isn’t going to be this massive longterm trend setter.

2 Likes

In hindsight, this is probably true overall for that game. I know that, during release, that is the only time a game actually stole a huge chunk of my friend’s list away. Since then, it’s just been people leaving because they cannot stand the game itself anymore.

Perhaps practice critically thinking would help you here.

Do your research, form an opinion based on your experience and research, not on what others say, and be able to make a decision on that instead of what a bunch of white knighters and haters say on the forums.

Lol

To practice critical thinking, we would have to consider all data available to us…which we are.

You are just trying to dismiss the data because it is counter to your narrative.

1 Like

Fair enough! That seems like a reasonable approach. If possible, I’d like to retain WoW players :stuck_out_tongue: I really don’t want to switch to a new game because the one I’ve known dies lol Selfish, I know

You know, I dont either, tbh. Frankly, I thought my gaming experience would die with wow. However, blizz just continues to be an antithesis to everything I stand for and paying for that just erks me.
What I’ve liked about NW is that I don’t feel pressured into rushing my leveling experience. Logging into the game feels refreshing, not like a job. I’ve played 85 hours on NW and still only 31 bc I’ve enjoyed the professions so much. I’ve ran dungeons and pvped and all that which is nice but at the end of the day it’s just enjoyable chopping down a huge tree and yelling out “timberrrrr” as it falls down while my wife looks at me like I’ve gone crazy. Lol just fun.

2 Likes

How dare you make NW sound fun and appealing to me lol

1 Like

The graphics are great, the environment is challenging, the combat is fun. Everything is super immersive compared to wow. But that’s it. I never cared for playing with world economies, I never cared for pvp and I’m surprised when games make crafting an important asset. This game was never going to hold my attention, it wasn’t designed to.

There are 433k players currently logged in to new world

thats more than TBC players subbed

1 Like

Bots are getting killed by pigs

As became evident, the only viable WoW killer is…WoW. And at this point they are doing a damn fine job of committing very dramatic seppuku. If there is a 10.0 I might come back, but with absolutely NOTHING in 9.1.5, I doubt I will bother with it any more. After nearly 17 years mind you.

I forget it exists until I see someone mention it again on the forums.

I saw one youtuber say that he started New World with 9 friends and they all quit already, so that tells you something.

If your PC can handle it then it’s fun to play like others pointed out. It’s awesome to see the sun set and rise during your gameplay and even better that is not tied to real time day/night cycle that Bliz so terribly messed up and never fixed.

After traveling to a few towns it’s obvious they reused the buildings/structures for every town.

Mining/lumberjacking is good especially when you hear the sound of hitting the rocks and it’s echo it does.

Some mobs aren’t that great for mob scaling as going to one area with say low L30’s then going to another zones area with same level mobs and type they can be harder.

Bears, stay away unless you got a friend with you (as bait).

stop right there criminal scum, you have violated the law. Your stolen goods are forfeit, now pay a fine to the court.

In case people can’t tell because of poe’s law: HUGE /s

Huh, I’m confused

Mooooo

Oblivion reference.