New World, A Retrospect After Nearly A Month

I haven’t played NW, but it sounds like they ported over Warhammer Online’s open world PvP zones, seemingly without learning anything from that failed attempt.

War is hell, but war is also a lot of sitting on your rump waiting, just in case the bad guys show up. In the scheme of things, war is probably 75% not doing anything related to fighting. Important things, but boring as snot things that do not make for good gameplay, but are central to the kind of conflicts they’re trying to recreate.

Dividing your player base is arrogance or ignorance manifest. Pretending to yourself that players will divide themselves equally among factions is ridiculous, and expecting players to remain loyal to a faction when they can reroll at will is just plain stupid.

They will learn that the admin requirements to maintain a conflict will exceed most players commitment to the game and that everything will end up with one-sided factions where the underdogs would rather reroll or stop playing.

2 Likes

New World seems like a competitor for Runescape not WoW.

1 Like

www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/10/22/three-week-later-new-worlds-playercount-is-barely-half-its-peak/?sh=54322a34aacf

This article speaks volumes. Players get hyped about games, they find out they aren’t the godsend they thought they were, they go play other games.

As to the player count, let this gauge help you out some.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1063730

4 Likes

Pretty much, that’s what’s happening albeit slowly in WoW too. I’m more amused that they made the client authoritative when it comes to character which is just the biggest WUT possible.

Literally rule number 1 of things like this is “Do not trust the client”

Rule number 2 is “see rule number 1”

1 Like

This is how New World is doing…the game is a little over 3 weeks old and they are already talking about it dying on thier forums

1 Like

Lowering the load on the servers can save server costs. Mind you, this is like saying leaving off the doors makes the cost of building a house lower. It’s technically true. Granted when you’ve had to buy a fifth tv because people keep walking in and taking yours it kind of stops being true. Even on paper.

This really seems like something I have a hard time believing the devs didn’t know was a bad idea. Seems more something pushed down from above to me.

And I have to assume there was pushback and it was overruled. Probably because it’s a horrible idea long-term but in the here and now lower costs and by the time the exploits really start rolling out well.

They have your money because it’s buy to play. :expressionless:

1 Like

Idk, I didn’t hear that.

I’ve played 80hours on the game so far.

1. The professions are amazing and absolutely blow wows away.
  2. The quests are fun and are built different. They use treasure chests much more which is nice.
  3. There is A LOT going on with the world. You can be questing, get side tracked, 10 hours later your like wow where did that go?
  4. The identification of mobs you need to kill is super nice, unlike wow where you kind of have to guess.
  5. The combat system, while basic, is also complex, while the weapon builds are involved.
  6. The graphics are amazing compared to wow.
  7. There are multiple levels of play. There’s controlling territories, contributing to invasions and war, ect…

But with every game there are downfalls too. I do not like the banking system (every city’s Bank is separated, although you can see the other banks. You can do from them if both banks are controlled by the same faction and it costs.) I kinda wish and kind of don’t wish they would put in a mini-map. I think quick-travel costs too much, but just a little. I do see what ppl mean about the economy, however, it’s also good that way. For new players, being able to buy a needed weapon for only 5 coins is nice. You can make money, it just takes time, which is also good bc you don’t get people listing items for millions of coins that will never sell. The economy is much more realistic.

2 Likes

Fun fact: AWS is always more expensive! So yeah not surprised.

Unless you come from a security background like I do it’s not actually that simple. You’d be surprised about how many devs think they can secure the client side. I’m DevSecOps so to me it’s literally roll on the floor laughing.

I have no doubt that someone brought it up as a bad idea, nor that they were overruled. Making an MMO and server based software is fundamentally different than what a lot of game devs have done. It’s closer to managing credit card transactions than it is making a game on the server side (quite literally). Both in that it must be fast, and that it must be passively parallel while keeping things in perfect ACID.

1 Like

Overall, would you rank your experience with NW higher than that of current WoW? Btw, the genuine, non-troll like feedback is appreciated!

still a janky game.

Any game in its vanilla stage better have depth. The original WoW was sixty levels deep.

2 Likes

I do not have a security background.

My knowledge of security:

• Don’t keep passwords in plain text. Seriously, what’s wrong with you? Don’t.
  • Never trust the client
  • Sanitize input because…never trust the client
  • Never trust the client

:expressionless:

2 Likes

And yet the majority of the industry doesn’t care, they care more about ‘does it work’ and then ‘security last’.

It’s very much a ‘safety third’ thing, it’s more important that you’re able to get things up, running, and testing quickly (which as an agilist I get and 100% support); than build a fully hardened server. To some extent I kinda wish there was an industry standard basic architecture for this. Something they could just install and configure and then build an MMO on.

1 Like

YW.

Comparatively, yes, I would most certainly rate NW over WoW for the following negative wow aspects:

Woke censorship
Lack of content
Empty .5 patch
Tired of rehashed content
Tired of recolored sets
Tired of gated content
Bad class balancing
Bad useless grinds like korthia’s dreaded research grind.
Tired of the ends not justifying the means.
Ect, ect, ect…

1 Like

But you’d be willing to possibly give WoW another chance next expansion? Or do you feel like NW might be your new go-to, if they fix the banking system, and the costs of certain things, like quick-travel?

Yeah. New World players don’t seem to be to happy with the content.

1 Like

I’d give wow another chance, but given blizz’s track record, it won’t last long.

I play wow bc of my friends and guildies.

1 Like

lol this is a hard no. TOR was the most cloniest of clones for WoW and destined to fail. Having a big name IP is only one factor for success but when you’re cut and pasting a game that’s already so far ahead of you then you’ll never be able to compete. TOR was never a serious competitor.

WoW has never had a serious competitor (except maybe GW2). FF14 and ESO are the only two that have proven they can co-exist in the same space as a very weakened WoW. NW might prove that it can co-exist but none of the four games (WoW included) will see numbers like peak WoW did again.

Yet, ppl on these forums state that SL is amazing.

You can’t judge game on its forums, lol. Thats just… frankly, stupid.

new world isnt competing with wow, FFXIV is. FF has 3mil subs going into endwalker while wow only has between 1-2mil at this point

1 Like