New way of multiboxxing!

is this allowed blizzard??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFk1Atoum2Y pretty sure it isnt lol

2 Likes

if thats a new way to alt-tab then no
they are banning the software you can multibox you just need to alt-tab

3 Likes

It’s a hardware switch. IMO it is against the spirit of the new rule, but who knows what Blizzard thinks.

He’s still pressing one button to control multiple clients. We’ll see what they think.

2 Likes

It appears to be a keyboard that can record its own macros so he thinks he gets around the new rule that way. Seems like it could still be bannable as it may break the one key press one action rule.

He may be right. He may be wrong. Only time will tell.

That’s not the rule. The rule is you can not use 1 key press to spend a command to more than 1 client.

1 Like

That’s what he’s doing. He’s pressing a key and it’s cycling through 8 clients by itself.

5 Likes

There is no rule against using software to alt-tab for you. That is a windows feature.

3 Likes

Potato potato :potato:

1 Like

The new rule states:

• “The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients will soon be considered an actionable offense. We believe this policy is in the best interests of the game and the community.”

Its possible that Blizzard is only concerned with software. However, if the change to TOS was done to stop multi-boxing habits then I’m sure they will modify the rules to be more inclusive, and clear.

Every single programmable keyboard/mouse/keypad out there supports macros, Razer/Logitech/Corsair/etc… Alt-Tab is a windows command. If you set up a macro to Alt-tab to another window, then send one keypress, which is one keypress per client, that isn’t using software to simultaneously send a keystroke to multiple windows, it is pretty much the same as if you just set up an alt-tab macro, then pressed the key then hit the macro again.

You can easily do this manually, a keyboard macro does make it faster, but there will still be some latency between each command. It likely wouldn’t be very useful for PvP, but probably could support 5 or so characters for farming.

It doesn’t, on the face of it, seem to violate the multicast software rule since it isn’t multicasting to clients simulatenously.

1 Like

At the end of the day this is expressly what Blizzard said wasn’t allowed, so if that is still the case it is still unsanctioned.

7 Likes

Personally, I’m hoping Blizzard clarifies their stance by disallowing multiboxing entirely.

It’s unhealthy for the game.

:cake:

#boxingischeating
#endmultiboxing

16 Likes

Multiboxing via software replication inarguably did that, but was explicitly exempted from the rule. One button press doing one thing on more than client is more than one thing.

This will be something Blizzard will likely make a blue post on at some point.

Actually you could easily dual-box with two clients. Lets say you set up a macro to press-1-Alt-tab-press-1-Alt-tab. If you have two clients open and you press that macro it would:

1. Press the one key on the current client
  2. Alt-tab to the next client
  3. Press the one key in the new window
  4. Alt-tab back to the first client

You could set up as many of these as you like simply adding alt tabs until you cycle through each client. Which is bascially what he is doing with a few modifications.

All in all there will be more latency than with multicasting, but it is certiantly doable.

Which wouldn’t be against ToS, but if you press one button (a single time) and it does actions over multiple accounts that would be against ToS.

Swapping client and playing multiple accounts on the same computer isn’t an issue in of itself.

Broadcasting software is a very specific kind of software that permits simultaenously sending a keystroke to multiple windows ( in this case WoW clients). The method being used in the video is not using broadcasting software. Now Blizzard could prohibit this as well, but that doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment.

2 Likes

That there is botting not multiboxing.

If you are running windows 10, you don’t even need to alt-tab to switch clients. If you go into the control panel, under mouse settings you can configure your mouse to make any window you mouse over the active window for input from the keyboard or mouse.

2 Likes

Not really. Botting is easier tounderstand as “unattended play”, kind of like a Ron Popeil commercial “Set it and Forget it”. Where you start your bot and it runs around doing multiple actions, sometimes for days at a time, even while no one is present.

I’m not going to argue semantics. I think I was pretty understanding in my first post on the issue. At the end of the day, obviously this doesn’t directly break the rule as explicitly written.

However, does it just go around the rule to still be the problem they were trying to resolve? I believe it does. I wouldn’t blame Blizzard one bit for banning players that do this.

1 Like