New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

So it doesn’t break actual functionality, just usability.

Still hot garbage, less likely to be actionable.

Blizzard needs to weigh in on whether this kind of thing is acceptable. I’m leaning towards no based on Add-on Development Policy language, but I’m not a lawyer or Blizzard employee so my opinion is worth nothing here.

In general you are allowed to sell addon.

Addon dev policy is not the WoW ToS…
It’s just a policy. Blizzard can ban addons based on the names but they can’t do more. It’s NOT against the ToS. They can’t force anything here.

And well people who get the ‘paid’ parts can copy whole content addon or share the paid stuff to all others since the base addon is GPL licensed and the other data automatically too. The GPL allows you to share it to anyone once aquired.

I do believe, Fabolt, you need to actually look in to this more. You are VERY wrong.

Yes they can. They own the code. They have absolute say over it.

Blizzard has broken and sent cease and desist letters over addons which have not followed the WoW addon policy before. So yeah, if your addon goes against policy they can and will nuke it.

Blizzard got NO rights at all over addon codes. ONLY the addon authors!!!
Addon authors are basically using the framework/api that blizzard provides, that’s all.

Just because you use some provided API doesn’t mean they own your code.

I think I am more into this than 99% of all users here :stuck_out_tongue:

Try again bud.

While you’re right that the code belongs to the addon author, Blizzard retains the right to disable/break an addon at any time, and they can send cease and desist letters to stop addon development since it relies on their API, which they own. Also, all addon code must be freely visible to the public, aka open source. It can’t be hidden away.

They can break/ban addons through API changes/ their banned addons data, but they have absolutely NO rights to stop such an addon development. a C&D letter won’t change that and would have no effect on that. You can just ignore these

Again, the addons rely on the Blizzard API, which they own. They can send cease and desist letters ordering creators to stop using the Blizzard API, which effectively stops development of the addon, as the addon can’t work without access to said API.

You can only develop addons for WoW as long as you have access to the Blizzard API, and you only have access to the API for as long as Blizzard says you have access to it. They can cut you off from it, just like they can ban you from the game, and if they do that, no more addon development for you.

1 Like

No, they can’t do that. It’s basically an open free to use API. They are not allowed to exclude specific addons/people from using these.
It’s like telling .NET/Java/C++ devs to tell to stop using the whole programming language API.
You guys should really get more into these topics and the validity of those C&D letters etc.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-user-interface-add-on-development-policy/1642

1. Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.
4 Likes

Nah boy, that’s not how it works.

It’s their legal property. The Blizzard API is not public/open to use. You only have access to it as long as Blizzard says you have access to it as it is their property. It’s the same with Java, C++ etc. These codes have owners and if the owners do not want you working with their code, they can legally cut you off.

Will they? Depends on the circumstances. In 99.9% of cases for Java, C++ etc nothing will happen. The owners of those codes aren’t really bothering about who uses them. Blizzard is a different animal entirely.

They’ve literally done this before, for the record. Back in WotLK there was a mod called Augmented Virtual Reality (AVR) which allowed users to share 3D images in-game to help with raid positioning and strategies. Blizzard broke that addon, and to ensure the author didn’t create a new version of it, sent a C&D letter to the creator.

That addon no longer exists.

In case you think I’m joking: https://www.engadget.com/2010-05-20-blizzard-to-break-the-avr-mod-in-patch-3-3-5.html

1 Like

This is just a policy! That allows them to ban the addons from the game through adding them to their banned addons list. That’s not the WoW ToS. They are not allowed to ban you for that, they are not allowed to stop people doing that. That is just an internal policy for banning addons. It got no legal relevance

1 Like

You… literally have no clue what you are talking about. I’d suggest you stop being an armchair Lawyer here.

2 Likes

I seem to be the only one here who knows how these things work…

Cadance is the type of person to fall for the biggest Democrat lie of all, free stuff.

Ya this is clearly against TOS and being done by someone who thinks they can do whatever they want, rules be damned. Perfect target to be made an example of if there ever was one. But Blizz won’t likely do anything since he’s one of their “pros”

No, you really don’t, and I’ve explained how it works to you quite clearly and even provided evidence of Blizzard breaking an addon and preventing the addon author from making a new version of it.

Get your head out of the sand and pay attention.

2 Likes

You don’t. You really don’t.

1 Like