New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Oh wow, he’s going full nuclear.

I know I reported his addon to Overwatch. I don’t know what they will do, if anything.

Blizz is the one who has to step up. If you don’t protect your copyright, you lose it. I have copyrighted work, so I know I have to defend it.

3 Likes

Waiting for Limit to release a dungeon addon. This gonna be good.

The premium features are the guides. At least the last time I checked it out. If they’ve changed that, and they unlock features of their addon - then they need to be reported as well.

1 Like

Some people sell guides for real money and Blizzard has never banned it. You might say “only some of the guide content is premium, the rest is free” but that is the same with this addon, it’s free but the maps cost money. Blizzard has never been consistent with these things. In truth, it’s all against the ToS. Blizzard just chooses who the enforce rules against.

This particular addon was Method Dungeon Tools, renamed Mythic Dungeon Tools and is now named Manbaby Dungeon Tools. It’s still free, and always has been. The second the creator tried to charge money, some other folks just re-released the old version for free. Which was the obvious conclusion to this drama.

1 Like

I don’t think paid addons are the worst idea out there, since they take a lot of work to create and maintain. The real problem is that Blizz has no oversight over any of it, which means you get a lot of the same problems that come with any kind of expenditure related to the game but facilitated by third parties.

If paid addons are to be a thing, it’d be better if Blizz opened a section of the in-game shop for them, which would do a few things:

1. Protect players from being scammed
  2. Allow Blizz to set a price cap, so no addon is too expensive
  3. Allow Blizz to buy out any addon that comes to be “required” and roll it into the game, avoiding the situation of players feeling obligated to purchase
  4. Lets players use in-game gold to buy addons instead of being restricted to cash only

So, without paying for npc information, the addon is pretty useless, yes?

2 Likes

Can someone tell me what MDT is?

Without NPC info the addon serves no purpose at all. It’s just maps of the dungeon which is already supplied by blizzard themselves.

4 Likes

Yeah, without the mob info its literally just a map of the dungeon you can draw on. Thats it.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought.

surely a ‘free’ addon that can’t be used without paying goes againgst something.

2 Likes

Strange, I just logged into my Warrior and opened up MDT out of curiosity… and all the mobs are still there? The trash % is also still showing? :man_shrugging:

Now granted, my addon is outdated by like 3 weeks since I get lazy/forget to update my addons.

I guess I’ll just never update it ever again, now that I stumbled upon this thread/found out about this. For once, it pays to be a procrastinator? :joy:

1 Like

How will this npc change affect imports? If one guildie pays for MDT, can they distribute maps (with mobs) to the team? What about the weekly M+ uploads from wago,io, Icy Veins, et al? Will their imported maps show mobs? Can’t we just copy & modify them?

So they literally can’t do anything with the maps, those are 100% Blizzard IP and they can’t charge for them.

What is included in the paid tier that isn’t included for free? Specific routes created by the developer? Or just mob placement on map that is free in older versions?

mob placement, what % they’re worth, producing routes with them. you know… the whole point of the frigging addon in the first place.

There are already maps ingame.

1 Like

i think it is.
only legal way to make money from addons is voluntary donations , im pretty sure.

idk what blizz will do with that. send a message or do nothing?

I’m aware. I’m of the opinion that charging for any addon content is complete BS.

Asking whether this is a “he previously included routes and now you need to make your own” or a “this change kills the ability to actually make routes on your own” issue.

Sounds like the latter.

You can make your own routes, but it requires a lot of knowledge about the addon and game in general.

Just google manbaby dungeon tools and install that until someone makes an alternative.

Rename the folder from ManBabyDungeonTools -main, to just: ManBabyDungeonTools

Can you even place NPCs on the map?

If it amounts to drawing lines on a whiteboard with the dungeon map overlaid there really isn’t any point.

You can, if you do /mdt devmode or something like it prompts you to, you can literally put the mobs back in place with the % they give but as I said, requires acute knowledge on how the addon works and what mobs are where and the % they give.

All bunch of stuff that were already in the addon prior to the update… or downdate, as it were.