New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Then you would have to go after people who use Trade Skill Master

Their ah profiles for buying, selling, and crafting are the same way. When to buy what to flip for a profit is closely guarded secrets that people do buy, sell, and trade as well.

There’s a big difference between a user selling their profile string (meaning you can set up the addon yourself without issue or use free profiles that are available) and the creator of the addon locking the data for it behind a paywall.

Neither should be happening, but let’s not pretend that they’re the same thing either.

2 Likes

Mythic Dungeon Tools can be downloaded and works perfectly fine without the routes these people created and sell.

They are selling their routes so you dont have to figure out the most efficient yourself.

Or at least they were; until someone else already uploaded the data and will continue to do so in the future so it’s free anyway.

TSM “premium” is $2.50 a month for the following stuff:

https://www.tradeskillmaster.com/premium

Looks like automatic updates, priority beta access, priority help in their Discord, no ads on their website. That all looks all right-ish…

They do have “Great Deals” filtered data, but it looks like it’s freely available on their website and Premium just sends the data to the addon instead of having to go there.

There’s also region-specific automatic notifications for deals that you can set up filters for.

It’s all pretty gray-area. They’re not really selling an in-game service for real-world cash so much as they’re selling the ability for their addon to automatically fetch and push the data from their website that you could look up manually.

I wonder if this dude had done something similar - made it so that the route maps could be downloaded separately for free but to get automatic updates you could subscribe - if that would be allowable.

So what is this “Dungeon Data,” exactly? Because I haven’t paid for anything with that addon and can see all the mobs on all the floors in a dungeon and right-click on them to see what they all do.

Read over a ton of the comments and here is my one thought.

There is a clear difference when comparing to things like profiles and TSM. If you really wanted to you could make those profiles by yourself or features you get still exist just with better/faster back end support.

What’s happening with MDT is a core feature the addon had for years, the very reason most people use it has been stripped away by the developer. Now you have no access to that feature, you can’t add it yourself, unless you pay for it from the developer.

This should definitely be ToS.

2 Likes

You haven’t updated yet, all that has been taken away. Unless you pay for it.

1 Like

I see. So it happened with the past day or so. This being the case, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets his addon nuked.

Same for me i checked the addon and was confused lol.

This reminds me of Preheats cease and desist, not gonna go well for his viewers/etc.

No idea what that was about. But it wouldn’t surprise me if someone just releases a version of MDT with all that information restored.

Already been done, its called manchild dungeon tools.

heh. Well that works, I suppose.

Okay, I officially retract my previous comments.

I only read the first few posts and was not aware that the addon had been gutted with no means to create your own routes without editing the actual program and not just the in game profile.

This definitely qualifies as pushing a “premium” version of the addon.

2 Likes

But you can use the addon just not it’s premium features Just like you can still use a basic version of zygor without its premium features.

From the looks of it only the prior versions of it. From what I’m seeing new versions/updates will be paid content if you want more than the blank map.

Pretty sure it’s borderline against TOS, which is why he did it. He’s probably smart enough to know he’s treading a line, and the question is whether or not Blizzard is going to bite or not.

1. Add-ons must be free of charge. All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Yeah?

2 Likes

Looks like the addon author turned off comments for his addon on Curse/Overwatch/Twitch/whatever it’s called now.

He also pushed those without rank out of his chat channels on Discord as well. Likely due to the immense amount of anger, trolling, or whatever else from MDT users. His mods were attacking people who even agreed with him getting donations for his work. They just disagreed with how he just changed it without any warning. Myself included. Honestly I don’t see myself paying for his addon because of the following reasons.

• This happened without warning/courtesy ahead of time (his choice/his stuff I know)
  • It seems like the RWF and Twitch/Twitter were involved in frustrating the creator
  • What’s to stop him from paywalling more of his content without warning
  • Lastly if emotions were involved in this decision it’s a bad move for everyone especially if he happens to get mad again.

After all there’s nothing to stop people who decide to pay him from trolling him again… I saw a lot of this in his discord before he decided to delete his chat channels for those without roles.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s just called “paying.”

6 Likes