New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

It’s under a GPL license so yes you can.

Someone already did it’s called man baby dungeon tools.

2 Likes

Imagine if the DBM guy did this… the forums would become hell on earth and his twitter account probably cyber burned.

I didnt know this streamer was “making” this addon… he streams gets money by playing video games and wants even more? getting paid by just playing the game on the 0.5% isnt enough?

1 Like

Technically the terms of service hasn’t existed for years being superseded by the Blizzard EULA which covers more stuff by its definition of the platform covering everything you use of Blizzards.

Is charging for addons or addon data against the EULA ?

No there is nothing in any legal documents linked at Blizzards legal section of their website. Blizzard does not own copyright to any addons so they can’t dictate what an author chooses to do with their addon. They can only break it or ban it from working in their game client

But-but the UI policy says no!

The UI policy are guidelines only. It tells you that right in that document if you actually read it properly. It is not part of the EULA and is not referenced in any documents in blizzards legal section of their website. You dont have to sign it in order to create addons.

Someone already did. It can be found here:
https://github.com/Tomslack/ManbabyDungeonTools#readme

Lol @ the clowns defending Nnoggie.

Literally can’t get a clearer cut violation of rule #1 of the addon development policy than this.

Big true.

Honestly, if anyone deserves a few bucks thrown at their Patreon, it’s MysticalOS. (Or your free Twitch sub you get from Amazon Prime if you’re not using it on any other streamer).

But yeah, there’s a vast difference between asking for some people to subscribe on twitch or patreon for extra perks and whatnot, to outright bricking an addon if you’re not a premium user.

11 Likes

This is incredibly ignorant. It has been a rule of blizzard’s for a long time because of what Carbonite tried to do.

This is an addon with 13 million downloads. Blizzard has to act or it will just set a president that this is a thing that is allowed and before too long more developers will do the same. Can you imagine if big wigs, DBM or details did this?

I won’t be using any of this guys weak auras, addons or anything anymore and myself and all my friends have unsubbed from his patreon. I will also be screening people in my groups going forward that use any of his things by kicking them.

Blizzard has to act. Ban this guy and his addon.3

6 Likes

I agree that for most addon creators the money they gain from it is secondary. I am not going to use that MDT myself, but like the sass here when a guy suddenly decides to charge for the addon instead of just have his patreon/humble sellout on his page/stream.

I remember when the DBM guy was struggling to keep up with the addon and IRL job, I think he said hes trying his best and would need more subscribers/patreon to be more commited to updating the addon. Don’t know if he ever got it, but his asking seemed to have worked out enough that we still have it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Uhhh… Precedent?

2 Likes

yeah that. its 5 am. i forgot how to english

3 Likes

they absolutely are not. @pigstick is just salty

He got to 1/2 way I think. Gets about 4k~ a month between DBM patreon and other donations. I think he needs a bit more to support his mother to whom he’s a caretaker but he’s in a much better spot.

Debatable.

If the addon can’t be used because the data is locked behind a paywall (and yes, requiring a ‘donation’ in order to access the data is a paywall) then that can be considered against the addon rules. You cannot charge for access to an addon. That should include the data needed for the addon to run.

1 Like

It’s not debatable at all; the TOS are extremely clear. You cannot make a premium version of an addon that requires payment to access. Either you give free access to your addon, or none at all.

Even if Blizzard wanted to let this slide, there is absolutely no chance that they can or will, because it would be absolutely impossible to justify letting a tool as popular as MDT functionally charge for a part of its content and not raiderio, or dbm, or details, or whatever else. It simply can’t happen.

1 Like

I say debatable because Blizzard hasn’t been 100% clear on this. They say all addons must be free, but they say nothing about addon data. It ‘should’ be free, but it’s not always free, which is why addons like Zygor’s Guides have been able to charge folks a monthly fee to access the addon data.

I hope they revisit this and make it clear that addon data can’t be charged for either and the only way you get money is through 100% optional donations.

2 Likes

Zygor’s addons have been free as long as this part of the ToS existed, I don’t think there’s anything in game that is available in Zygor that is behind a paywall; if it was, someone else would simply upload it.

Nnoggie can upload all the pdfs and google docs he wants with all the data he wants; the moment it becomes importable to the game it breaks the ToS.

1 Like

The addon for Zygor has been free, you’re right.

But if you want access to the guides, aka the meat of the addon because otherwise it’s a useless shell, you need an elite subscription to access that data, and you only get an elite subscription if you pay for it (and I should know, I pay for one currently)

From what I understand this is exactly the same.

The addon itself is free. Anyone can download MDT without issue. But if you want the data that makes the addon work, you need to pay for it.

The addon is 100% free. They are selling their profile import. You can still get the addon, you just have to set it up yourself.

If you wanted my ELVUI profile you could ask me to export it and hand it to you or you could just do your best to copy it. If I said “I will sell you my export string” that in no way is selling an addon.

1 Like

huh?? :face_with_monocle:

That doesn’t work that way. It’s still Blizzard’s. They learned from the dota map in wc3.

2 Likes

Ok, so I was wrong then and I agree with the prior person; Blizzard needs to stomp on these people instantly to ensure that the message is received. Nobody should be making money from content that affects the in game experience of other players, period. The ToS is pretty damn clear and this is a semantic argument that clearly skirts the edge of it.

This is even more the case when the “profile” contains the vast majority of the data that the addon exists to represent.

2 Likes