New ToS update question

I would like to hear from a blizzard representative/GM about the topic listed.

My question is about the recent ToS update concerning multiboxing. Specifically the part that says:

“The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients will soon be considered an actionable offense”.

Are all 3rd party broadcasting softwares now considered an actionable offense? I have a program that allows me to say commands and associate the command with a keystroke to a singular client (think of Siri or Cortana type deal) that i use because of carpul tunnel syndrome, would that program now go against the new ToS change that I have stated above?

The reason why I question it is because of the following conditions:
-The program can only target 1 window at a time
-The program is not mirroring keystrokes to other duplicate clients, instead it pushes keystrokes to one client via voice command, ie: I say “Jump” the program sends the Space keystroke to the designated program/window/application
-The program uses Windows 10 speech recognition which is part of the “accessibility features” that allows full use of the computer for amputees so it’s a legitimate program.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this question and I hope to be able to hear from a Blue with a legitimate answer and not random peoples thoughts and opinions, although feel free to add you thoughts and opinions but I will reserve the conclusion until answered by an official GM/rep. Looking for an answer from the horses mouth as it were.

Because Blizzard does not make or control third party software they never officially give approval for it. What may be ok today, may not be ok once that software changes features.

From your description it does not break the new rules in the EULA. You are not mirroring keystrokes to different clients. Use however, would still be at your own risk.

My personal opinion which is obviously not official - should be fine.

6 Likes

You may want to take a look at this article, though, if you email them, you may not get a response back.

3 Likes

Tagging in too, but please be patient. If they will respond to you, ticket/response times are taking longer than usual right now. If it takes a day or two, please just be patient.

1 Like

I’m afraid Customer Support (Support forum agents like myself, or a Game Master) wouldn’t be able to comment about a specific program. To be clear, the policy update is looking specifically at Input Broadcasting Software, which, as the news article says:

which allows a single keystroke or action to be automatically mirrored to multiple game clients, and we’ve seen an increasingly negative impact to the game as this software is used to support botting and automated gameplay.

It doesn’t sound like what you are using would be in the same category, but I would agree with Nightdrakon that contacting our Accessibility team would probably be the best option.

6 Likes

What about software that sends commands to only one window that isn’t your focused window?

So like 2-> Main window, Shift+2-> Other window?

Also what if we disable all mutlicasting features of a program so it’s 100% 1 physical button press = 1 button press in game in 1 client.

commands like scripts? keystrokes? what are we talking

Sorry, Fluffypuff, but we’re not able to provide an answer on the various scenarios and what abouts. Our policy update prohibits the use of Input Broadcasting Software, if the program you are referring to is considered that, then this likely applies.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply! Yeah After re-reading it sounds like any software that sends a keystroke to any window, even if it’s only one keystroke/action/account is now off limits.

I was asking because of the wording in the original announcement wasn’t as strict.

soon begin issuing warnings to all players who are detected using input broadcasting software to mirror commands to multiple accounts at the same time

It’s a shame as a small time multiboxing team that never farmed nodes/exploited hyperspawns to inflate my gold or pvp, this huge time/money investment is gone without warning. I loved the challenge of doing my own normal dungeon, or Tanking+Healing for a low mythic for a friend.

Hopefully one day in the future the developers can find a happy middle ground to limit boxing to no more than 5 accounts at a time, and disallow any behavior that is bad for the game(pvp/nodesharing)

Thanks again for your quick reply!
:heart:

I am just waiting for the first person that buys 100 pcs and uses a hardware switch on the keyboard and mouse to control them all just for the memes! I would be fine with this because if they had the money for all those pcs they would not be farming with them. =) Well maybe farming but not herbs hks lol, but I think the gms would not like it much because they would get a few million reports about it. =)

I have an email From Blizzard which states that you do not support multiboxing but that’s its not against the ToS. I see you have changed your mind and that if fine, I want my money back for the accounts I just paid on. I do not need any more time on my account, as soon as I’m done with Vanilla Classic (Naxx) I am done with your game so giving me 2 years of time on one account isn’t helpful at all.

1 Like

Then go right ahead and submit a ticket. No one here can award you a refund.

Here’s Blizzard stance on Multiboxing.

They didn’t change their stance on it, just clarified it. You cannot cheese your way though it now with software, that’s about it. Time to adapt.

2 Likes

That isn’t entirely accurate. We have never supported multiboxing, but it has been style of gameplay that is permitted. This policy update is specifically about the Input Broadcasting Software that is now prohibited.

You’ll want to put in a refund request.

I want to make sure any feedback is directed to the appropriate place, so I’m going to close this thread. If you have feedback on the policy update you’ll want to post in the active thread linked in the News Article.

5 Likes