New Thrall statue... doesn't make sense

Blizzard just released a new Thrall statue. But there are two versions and the descriptions for them don’t make much sense.

The “limited edition”:
`https://www.blizzardgearstore.com/games/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-warchief-thrall-limited-edition-statue/o-21509119+t-76611348+p-14183940+z-8-2133244665?_ref=p-TLP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

And the “regular” version:
`https://www.blizzardgearstore.com/games/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-warchief-thrall-premium-statue/o-32612420+t-54169159+p-816546099+z-9-1268763673?_ref=p-TLP:m-GRID:i-r0c1:po-1

Disregarding this HUGE jump in price from their previous products (polyresin may sound fancy, but it’s PLASTIC… cmon), there are some things that don’t make sense.

The “limited edition” … doesn’t list ANYTHING about it that’s "limited edition. It reads exactly as the “regular” one.

And worse, the LE is shown as plain-colored plastic, even though in the description it says it’s painted, and the cheaper “regular” statue IS painted.

Any idea wtf is going on here? Anyone from Blizzard can clarify these issues?

6 Likes

WoW those prices are outrageous! AFAIK Plastic statues should be getting super cheap with today’s 3D printers

12 Likes

That is bizarre. When I saw the limited edition figure I thought, “That looks like the stuff they use for the nicer RPG tabletop miniatures”. An unprepped mini. lol

Now this part could be why it looks the way it does, but still feels off.

• This is a hand painted statue, final color may vary from shown images

How will it vary? That can mean many things. lol

4 Likes

Yeah the only exception I’d give to that is, there is another company that makes statues (afaik, officially licensed) and they use real leather, real wood, REAL FAKKING HAIR on their pieces!!!

They’re $1500+ … but you can at least say “it’s more than plastic.”

These… an almost 100% markup from previous statues, and what are we getting??

1 Like

I would imagine the limited edition one would have better coloring, probably a more precise painting job. Putting a plain white picture up for marketing doesn’t make a bit of sense to me.

Beautiful statues though.

1 Like

Right. Except these are TWO FEET TALL! lol

welcome to activision and more control.

Those statues sound like a lot more work and although the price is waaay up there, it makes a little more sense, especially if they’re using rare materials. But yeah idk what blizzard is thinking with their statues, especially the unpainted one.

Lol, 740 usd and 540 usd for plastic well i know i am in the wrong freaking Business…and they will probably sell out of there stock…

So they are Heavy but what is 23 pounds i think 380 oz ? So about depending where they buy the polyresin that’s roughly 90 usd to 140 usd in polyresin so they making a killing

Not for 740 bucks

The Limited Edition one is grey. The IGN article even refers to it as the “Limited Edition Grey Statue”.

Why the unpainted statue is more expensive, I don’t know. But that’s the difference between them.

Speculation: Many hobby enthusiasts enjoy painting miniatures. Perhaps the unpainted statue is for that niche market. But since the production run was anticipated to be smaller, they had to raise the price because the per-unit cost would be higher.

1 Like

For some reason this is a trend, unpainted versions tend to be the ‘limited edition’ versions or versions that are painted all one color. You see them in the blind bag/box items where the ‘mystery’ item is literally one of the regular painted items, just all gold, or silver, or unpainted.

I guess someone is putting more value on being able to paint it themselves???

Sorry, while there is value in that, you’re then telling me PAYING someone to paint it… ISN’T an intrinsic cost.

wtf

1 Like

The upside is the current Gear Store sale says 25% off orders over $49. So the LE statue comes out to only $562!

1 Like

Honestly, at this new price-point, it feels like the 25% off discount is baked into the price.

They need to let a place like Sideshow do their statues. When you start paying the kind of money they are asking for you expect things to look a lot better.

dont think your meant to paint it. from what i see in other statues those ones are more rare thus are higher cost vs the painted ones. more rare cause it’s less supply typically. but idk how blizzard is doing theirs

for the cost really aint worth it though unless you a die hard thrall fan.

Well, I don’t think it looks BAD. Their mock-up looks incredibly detailed to me, I don’t have a problem with that.

Just doesn’t make sense that the UNPAINTED version is $150 more. So, again, you’re saying that the time it takes for someone to “hand paint” a two-foot tall statue… has ZERO intrinsic value.

That’s putting it lightly. Looks like Forge World resin before you do any scrubbing.

I mean, they’re not saying it has zero intrinsic value, they’re saying it has negative value.