New talent trees

this is a very rough mock up of what i intend with affinities coming back

all the core kit from the first affinity choice and then just passive improvements or utility spells after the third row.

There’d be more choices then what i posted going down the tree but i got tired of copypasting and moving things in paint.

SUGGESTED CHANGES:

Restoration Row 4:
Improved Ironbark: Ironbark cooldown is reduced by [10/20] seconds and increases healing from your heal over time effects by [10/20%]. Two Rank Talent. (Note: merged 2 talents to free up space later in Row 7 of the tree)

Restoration Row 5:

• Ysera’s Gift: Heals you for [3/6]% of your maximum health (up from 2/4%), every 5 seconds. If you are at full health, an injured party or raid member will be healed instead. Two Rank Talent.

(Note: Ysera’s gift in Dragonflight is being taken away from all feral, guardian and moonkin druids. They will no longer have access to it, even as a talent choice. As a result, your average raid group that previously might have had multiple Ysera’s gifts ticking every 5 seconds, may have none at all in Dragonflight. To compensate for this loss in healing, the overall healing throughput of Ysera’s gift has been buffed slightly, from 2/4%, up to 3/6%. From a lore perspective, in Dragonflight we might see the return of Ysera. So thematically this would be the most appropriate time to buff this talent).

Restoration Row 6:

• Inner Peace: Reduces the cooldown of Tranquility by [30/60] seconds. While channeling Tranquility, you can move. Two Rank Talent. (Note: For a long while now, the developers keep tweaking Tranquility, giving it 20% damage reduction and immunity to knockbacks, while appreciated, simply did not address the underlying problem. Too many encounters simply involve too many completely random abilities that randomly target you at random times, making it impossible to predict when is the ‘right’ time to use Tranquility. Encounters like Halondrus had notoriously low clear rates, because they had phases that required both large amounts of healing, and large amounts of movement, at the same time. Thematically, I feel like casting while moving should be, pardon the pun, second nature to druids. They are masters of controlling their movement and shapes, and almost all of their abilities can be cast while moving. In fact it was not too long ago that tranquility could be castable while moving. A return to the beloved legion style Tranquility would be well received by the community. There is no worse feeling than starting to cast a tranquility to counter a boss ability that is obviously designed to be countered with a big healing cooldown, only to be forced to stop that tranquility, because you were randomly targeted by a high damage boss ability that will one shot you, or deal a lot of damage and also stun you, ending the Tranquility anyways, if you don’t move).

Restoration Row 7:

• Ysera’s Embrace (Replaces Stonebark): Ysera’s gift also plants a healing seed, the next time the target is damaged within 10 seconds, the seed will bloom, healing the target for 3%/6% of the targets maximum health.

Restoration Row 10:

• Verdant Infusion Swiftmend can now be cast on targets that do not have a heal over time effect present, no longer consumes a heal over time effect, and extends the duration of your heal over time effects on the target by 8 seconds. (Note: This is a return to legion style Swiftmend: when you talent into Verdant Infusion, you will be able to cast Swiftmend on any friendly target, whether they have a heal over time on them or not).

Vision of Unending Growth: Rejuvenation healing has a 2.5% (up from 2%) chance to create a new Rejuvenation on a nearby target. (Note: there was no need to nerf this, please revert the nerf).

Other thoughts:

Innervate: Targets affected by Innervate will now have a new visual effect applied to their mana bar on the user interface: it will light up and have a crackling lightning effect applied. The goal is to make it more obvious that they have unlimited mana for the short duration.

1 Like

You are making recommendations on a tree that doesn’t exist. Blizzard already revamped the tree, but has yet to roll out a beta patch this week. Most of the talents you are talking about aren’t even present anymore.

Some updates finally.

2 Likes

Happy they’re aware having no control over your rotation from pull to pull sucks along with Starfall having a CD.

Mastery sounds promising, with the way they are talking it sounds like Stellar will be baseline?

Really looking forward to the tree now.

Starfall targeting an area? yuck

Well, there is a pre-patch PTR up and feral is…, I do not know what to think so far.

I am going to go mess around with it for a bit. See what each talent does.

The Feral changes are a start and a step in the right direction. However a good deal of additional work is needed in order to bring the tree up to par with other spec trees we’ve seen so far.

There’s Too Much Bloat in the Bottom

There are too many talent points you are required to travel through in order to get the things you absolutely must have for you to consider spending points on things you think might be fun. Here is a good example (sample M+ build): https://www.wowhead.com/beta/talent-calc/druid/feral/DAAAOUVJkFQVERiUFQQCFQ

I would love to be able to pick up Swarm in that build, but I just can’t because I’ve had to spend 2 worthless points in CEC in order to access critical talents that you pretty much must have in order to be successful at doing keys (i.e. powerful AoE talents). Could you do it if instead Swarm was only 2 points required (taking Swarm without the split is pointless)? Probably. I could see dropping Rip and Tear for it maybe.

Bizarre Pathing

This one is easier to do in point form.

• Why is Rake cleaving locked behind Scent of Blood?
  • Why does Infected Wounds have Rake damage at all?
  • Why is Lunar Inspiration locked behind Sudden Ambush?
  • Why do I have to take Predator to get to Taste for Blood?
  • Why do I have to take Ferocious Frenzy to get to Brutal Slash (it’s a single target button, stop pretending it’s an AoE one).
  • Why do I have to take Ferocious Frenzy to get to Frenzyband?
  • Why do I have to take CEC or Eye of Fearful Symmetry to get to things I actually want?

Why Bring Me?

The largest problem is that in a world where different specializations are bringing different cool tools to a group (for keys or a raid environment), what’s a Feral druid bringing? Infected Wounds and Predatory Swiftness (nevermind the fact that you can’t reasonably get Cyclone anymore)? If you stack those up against Trees and Solar Beam…well let’s just say those scales are wildly tipped in one direction and it should be clear which way.

Good Start
It’s a good start. There’s more iterations to be done. Look forward to seeing more.

3 Likes

Infected wounds is so strange.

I’ve been trying to understand while it’s still only a 20% snare as well.

2 Likes

I actually prefer it being targeted than based on the player. I think this should just be a choice node though.

2 Likes

Sometimes no updates are better than bad updates.

Personally i find the reliance on having moonfire\stunfire up on the target then hard casting abilities basically impossible in PVP just due to the fact that they are both dispellable and have no protection on them at all. On top of the fact that hard casting 2 starfires after one dot GCD is actually impossible in PVP just because we have no mobility or utility to keep melee at range especially in DF with the new talents.

I also find that these changes\direction of the spec doesnt sound as fun and sounds like a ton of set up\GCDS just to start casting what you want to cast. Honestly really dissapointed.

I can agree with this quite easily. I have been doing some digging to see how some of the talents actually work.

• Veinripper vs Rip and Tear

This is a pretty hefty balance issue more than anything else. Rip and Tear is useless right now. The talent text on my character says 50 damage per tick for the tear. When I watch the combat log, it agrees with this, but it only ticks 4 times. That means a base 200 damage. Why I say this is so bad is that Veinripper increases Rip’s damage for me by over 2k. Have CoLaD and you have an even more powerful combo.

• Tear Open Wounds (TOW) and Ferocious Frenzy

TOW is in a problematic area. It hits decently hard and has no limit on enemies hit. It is followed by Ferocious Frenzy. It hits harder on the primary target and even the secondary ones take as much damage as TOW can do. Frenzy benefits from BT, but TOW does not. If it was not for the fact it could save you one point since you would not need to take Taste for Blood. In another test, Ferocious Frenzy does not interact with FB cast by Convoke.

• Initial Review

There is some good possibilities here, but there DOES need to be a pretty hefty balance and restructuring of the layout.

Treants are boring and a super underwhelming new ability (way worse than mops version), Full moon needs to be baseline on balance and do something cool and do big damage again. Nothing new or exciting just a bunch of required passives.

I still hate having both moonfire and sunfire. We not only have to swap into balance druid form in PVP but then we have to go through multiple gcds just to start playing the game. Remove GCD from going into forms so its a bit faster.

Do something to make moonfire more interesting, something like when we get attacked we have a chance to proc a moonfire that does 300% increase first hit damage to bring back moonfire actually doing damage on the first hit.

Make typhoon more epic like back in WOTLK (BIG wave that actually does good damage).

Balance druid has a 1 minute interrupt which is huge compared to other specs so give us some good utility like making our dots have dispel protection like when they are dispelled give us a instant cast full moon or star fall.

Put hibernation baseline, bake improved sunfire baseline make soothe baseline and move wild charge to it.

I don’t like how it’s not a choice between taking either ‘Tear Open Wounds’ and ‘Ferocious Frenzy’. If you take up Circle of Life and Death you barely have time to alternate between using Primal Wrath and Ferocious Bite at 50 energy.

There are a few “non-choices” in the trees, and some pathing that requires you take a node here or there that you might not want in order to get to specific nodes you are after.
All of the trees seem to have this in some way, but I noticed the point requirement to get into the bottom of the Feral tree left me hanging on nodes that I wanted but didn’t have points for. After spending 3 points on nodes I could live without in order to get to things I wanted back like Convoke and Apex I was running on E.
The gameplay of having Apex behind Curio feels a little better than I thought, but having to go thru Curio to get to Apex is still a little irksome.
The good thing is we will get a few more points to spread across the tree by level 70, so it may not feel as wonky to take those extra points up earlier in the tree.
All in all, not the worst feral has felt, but could be better here and there.
Dumping 3 points into stat/rating nodes just feels like they ran out of idea to me :woman_shrugging:
Going to give more time to bear this evening and see how that one feels. Later folks
:coffee:

I also found that Veinripper doesn’t increase the time of RIP applied by Primal Wrath. Is this a bug or expected behavior? Hmmm.

Agree, this is a poor pathing

Because no one would take it otherwise

More poor pathing

More poor pathing

Not sure about Brutal, but at least there is some chemistry between Taste for Blood, Ferocious Frenzy and Frenzy. Frenzy generates another bleed, which should increase bite via Taste of Blood, which would result in a more powerful extra (or more depending) bite.

I think the real question is … why Taste for Blood is surrounded by AOE talents?

No answers for that.

I actually love them but I would love to see more done with them. I much prefer Druid being nature based. So things like FoN, Swarm, Golden Wolves and Hurricane (if it comes) are things I love to see make a return. I would love FoN becoming a capstone though.

Agreed.

I’m really hoping that they de-link moonkin form from its current links as I would love to have access to typhoon without having to get it.

1 Like

So guardian druid next right? Right??

Playing with the talents on ptr, the capstone are just as underwhelming as they look.

Please make natures vigil work both ways regardless of spec or even just give resto the damage to healing one. That way we could just pop it and do a normal damage rotation for low healing fights instead of having to burn mana to get decent damage out of it with over healing.

with all the extra tree support heart should be fun to play with but its the opposite, its doesn’t feel like it makes off specing any better since its just a % buff and most of its secondary buffs were added to the tree. Its cooldown is still WAY TO LONG

Furors just furor, it’d be fine farther up in the tree, maybe moved to replace soothe since the middle is the shapeshift archetype zone and soothe just has no business blocking anything with how niche it is. it’s just not a capstone worthy ability.

Resto new tree is nice, but pretty boring to start, lots of passive thorough-put, i get that you cant do much early because wild-growth is locked so late in the class tree, but the first 8 talents are just a number game with no real interaction.

Moving efflo or wildgrowth higher in their respective trees so we could get earlier Aoe interactions would be nice. Or any of the new lifebloom options since its the first spec talent we get but doesn’t get much besides omen procs til the bottom of the second section.

1 Like