New Specialization: the Storm Mage

Well, gotta get rid of fire and frost mages, since shamans are supposed to be the master of the elements. I hate to do it, but you’re right. Its just too much overlap. And we know how mages feel about class overlap and the subsequent removal of every blink-esque ability.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I was thinking the same thing for PvP balancing. It would seem that the spec would be really weak until you cast thunderbreak and one shot someone, which would then make it broken.

I’ll address that in a future post when I figure out the numbers, but you’re absolutely right about that.

The lightning dash is intended to be a risky gameplay move. You can either sit there and cast static field safely in aoe or instant cast lightning dash for more damage / charges.

The rotation ill also have on future post, but basically it is as follows (for st):

Ion bolt—>lightning dash—>ion bolt —>surge —>thunderstrike or thunderbreak (guaranteed crit) —> static field (instant cast due to charged up —> ion bolt—> ion bolt —> surge —> thunderstrike —> static field (instant due to charged up) —> lightning dash —> ion bolt —> surge —> thunderstrike —> static field —> lightning dash (fulminant charge, cd resets after cast) —> lightning dash —> surge —> thunderstrike—> repeat.

So, in short, kind of complex but very mobile and oriented around moving with lightning dash

1 Like

Glad to help! I’ve posted my own 4th spec thread awhile back over in the hunter section of the forums, and another user over there by the name of Ghorak has posted one. Both heavily focus around bringing back ranged survival as an updated (to fit modern gameplay) 4th spec for the class since its removal has been incredibly contentious in the hunter community ever since Legion. I genuinely enjoy posts like this as seeing new gameplay or thematic niches being explored is always fun.

Yeah, that was one of my major concerns. It just seems like for anyone besides the stormmage they would have a two minute (before factoring in stats) timer or so to kill them before experiencing this.

Interesting. So, I think I understand it a bit more. Thunderstrike is there to get a decent chunk of damage without needing to spend if you don’t want to but isn’t meant to be spammed? Wonder how the math works out if you’re only wanting to use it on crit, but I can see how that works.

1 Like

the yugioh gif
I died aylmao.

Ill take a look at your guide too! I love seeing ppl come with new ideas.

rotation stuff
Thunderstrike is intended as a vastly weakee thunderbreak, but still stronger than ion bolt, static field or lightning dash, but only when used to discharge the 3 static charges (hence the 100% increased damage per static charge, because tthe base damage for thunderstrike is actually intended to be significantly lower than even ion bolt, but higher if used to discharge 3 static charges, which increases its damage by 300% and guarantees a crit)

Thank you so much! I hope I’ll see you in my next forum post when I have more on this! (After getting ripped by the shammies)

1 Like

Though I love the idea this is too similar to Arcane since we rely on charge build up,personal it is no different and it would be a dps then any other.

Plus,this would enrage shamans ,I think had enough arguments with them about lust already.

Sure! Feel free to take a look!

It’s several months old now, so you don’t have to post in the thread if you don’t want to (can avoid necro threading haha). It also needs to be updated.

If you want a more updated thread with a similar (but still different) take on the same idea, I highly recommend Ghorak’s thread.

1 Like

I have to strongly disagree.

The charge on arcane us capped at 4, and you arcane barrage quite often.

This build you build up the equivalent of 1000 charges before discharging them, meaning you dischagr every 2 minutes or so. As a result, you dont have a big cd like arcane power, which arcane has, since this discharge is essentially your big cd.

Lastly, you dont have mana in this spec, which is perhaps the biggest difference with arcane

These are conceptually completely different specs.

I do agree about the shamans tho, and personally this could be a shaman spec, i dont really care.

One, it wouldn’t fly because it would be too op to play which mean it’ll be nerf to the ground just as any spec a mage had. Now,if it were a tank spec with elemental ions as shields and little dps it could fly,But you would have a whole community of shamans coming down from the skies on you.

This could be a shamans dream for tanking .

Well you can’t say its op if i havent given any numbers.

Like our hunter friend here, you can say that if the spec is balanced in pve, it would be a problem for pvp because thinderbreak would one shot someone.

But whether or not this spec is op in pve in the first place isn’t even possible to know without numbers.

I didn’t out in the numbers for that exact reason, im still figuring them out. Right now i wanted an opinion on the mechanic of giant spells acting as cds

But it is an creative idea I’ll give you that.

Why thank you! I appreciate that :slight_smile:

That’s a really long post to say you should switch to elemental shaman lol

Why does it have to be an elemental aspect? Why not a blood mage, that would be way better

Ive been over this

Please god almighty forgive me for daring to suggest lightning.

The mechanics, however, are completely different from shaman

I guess I don’t exist

Isn’t the storm mage - a ele shaman?

1 Like

Unlimited yes! :smiley: :cloud_with_lightning:

Soooooooooooooooooo an Elemental Shaman :wink:

Now ,you know how i felt lol. Maybe change it to something other than elemental ,how about gravity or material multiplication.

If i hear 1 more post about ele shaman, i may actually have to get institutionalized