New Shaman Talent Changes

I like this whole thing. All of the points are salient not only for PVP, but pve also. Giving us the ability to macro wolves into other things like frost shock where swirling maelstrom will generate the final stack of maelstrom for lightning bolt seems like an easy sell to get a quick trigger out of alpha wolves if you aren’t playing elementalist.

No, they both need a rework. Storm is too degenerate into spamming a few buttons and elementalist is too degenerate because it requires way too many buttons and devolves into tab target spamming lava lash when hot hands procs. Both are nowhere near great. Hero talents certainly don’t help either since Stormbringer brings the tab target spam to storm build. Personally I think storm is in a better place for the average gamer versus elementalist. Elementalist is better for higher skill players, but for average players it’s horrid.

3 Likes

As a rshaman I’m not super happy. The spec is still bloated and clunky. Some of the changes give us more access to talent nodes, which is good but, adds even more bloat to the most bloated spec in the game.

1 Like

Changes be like the patch notes version of a Christmas/B-day present someone bought at the dollar store on their way to the party and tried wrapping while driving and they drove down a bumpy road.

2 Likes

I’d say for me it’s like a 6/10 for Resto. I can’t judge it too soon, but overall reading the notes and seeing the way the new tree is laid out, definitely an improvement over Dragon Flight talents.

Resto tree:

Positives: - Making lava surge baseline
- Freeing up several of the 2 -3 point nodes(Earthliving, deluge, ancestral vigor, etc.)
- Healing Rain and Downpour synergy.
- Improved Spirit Link Totem
- Improved Ascendance(Still no word on the crappy old visual) and Healing Surge modifiers

Negatives: - Don’t like still having the clunky P-wave mechanic
- No rework or redesign for Wellspring. It still shares a capstone node with ‘Deeply Rooted Elements’, why? (This doesn’t make sense to me.)

General Tree:

-Honestly can’t complain much here. It’s a lot better in my view. They even gave us pvp talents like "Traveling Storms’ and ‘Seasoned Winds’. I would have honestly liked them to do the same with the pvp talent “burrow”. Make it a baseline ability or talent in the general shaman tree as one of the capstone defensives(Choice between this and bulwark totem).

-Mobility: I wish they would improve ‘Gust of wind’ to not feel so weak and improve ‘Thunderous Paws speed bonus’. 25% extra speed for 3 secs doesn’t cut it. I wish they would have just rolled Winds of Al-Akir into Ghost wolf form and make its modest boost baseline.

-Stone bulwark totem is better than nothing defensively, but it just adds another button. I would rather they replace Stone bulwark totem with Burrow or make it a dual choice node with Burrow. Totemic Shaman already get a wind shield from their totems. It’s just redundant.

Just give Ghost Wolf mount speed already.

1 Like

Out of combat it should move as a ground mount 100% agree, during combat leave as I reckon.

Remember Legion it could with Rehgar as your companion, Spirit Pack - When you enter Ghost Wolf form out of combat, Rehgar and you both have 100% movement speed.

I was trying to pick a new build with enhance using the TWW calc on wowhead but I ended up basically the same as live, except I had to take crash lightning for pathing - it takes too many points spent to unlock the 3rd tier. Having feral lunge will be nice but really hoping for some more. Class tree still has too many niche talents, maybe they can take a peek at cata classic for inspiration?

Having a stroke reading this so big post with replies to multiple people

I get you’re talking about PvP and playing with doomwinds…but please remember there M+ and Raid.

The hope is that they change molten assault so Lava Spreads Flameshock to 5 targets to remove needing to potentially tab and Flame Shock another target. That removes a GCD in the setup which makes it smoother. I have copium they also just make Pwave also apply the dot to 5 targets. It then just Pwave > Wolves > Bolt and you’d still have flame shock incase you missed one and lava if the mob is too far. It shortens the setup but gives you back ups in case stuff happens.

It sounds cool but it’s basically an insta cast Fae. Pwave’s gameplay value also comes from the buffs coming from your next LB hitting you Flameshock targets is super important since we can put it on CD but then time it for optimal use. It being a dot lets us do a pit of spread like Council of Dreams and say the 2nd Boss of Everblood. It hard and risky but if you can pull it off its cranks. Big reason I like elementalist.

It being on a choice is a great thing. It’s pathing spot is easy to get to and is important for how Elementalist and Storm build their talents. It also is crazy important to Elementalist’s damage profiles, letting do priority damage on 3-4 target with minimal damage lost. No elemental blast quite literally kills Feral Spirits because it giga ramps RNG in our damage. It being separate button is what facilitates different techs you can do with Pwave, the 10 MSW it generates, and you LB cleave for the Haste buff.

Also we do not need more talents in our tree.

That is so bad for both builds for multiple reasons. For Storm it forever kills any potential to play Pwave or Fire Nova and you lose a MSW generator is which still very important because Stormstrike doesn’t always reset. For Elementalist Stormsrike alongside Stormbringer is still very important; similar thing you’re gonna be out of things to hit sometimes and Stormstrike is there as a filler. Losing it would have such a drastic effect on our MSW generation rate. I get pretty hyped a lot of the time when I get Stormbringer procs. Good RNG on procs with natural MSW gen can lead to some crazy damage even though it doesn’t do a lot of raw damage.

Well Pwave only has value with is other talents so it cant be a center node. But that would also push doom winds to really awkward spot as well. I get the idea to incorporate elements but you need a base skelton to branch off. The builds are too ridged talent wise and damage profilewise Doomwinds/Windfury are extremely ridged.

So please don’t take this as an insult or me trying to be an toxic player but normal/heroic are terrible bench marks to use when talking about how a spec plays because they will never REQUIRE you to push it to the extreme like Mythic does. I’l give you two examples from season 2 how drastic it can be especially because we had two completely different builds we’d use. I know its lot but you will be able to understand my perspective.

Forgotten Experiments in Normal/Heroic is basically a single target fight because each boss spawns one after another and sometimes a blob from the dispell is there. Meanwhile in you played Elementalist in Mythic due to each boss activating once when the previous boss hits 50% so it will shift from single target to 2 target cleave but you also have funnel potential later in the fight because your raid will wait for specific times to dispell multiple dots off which will spawn 3-5 than need to die; if you time and plan accordingly you can do Pwave cleave on the blobs for high haste then go back to beating on the boss. Zkarn is another example where you played Storm in Normal/Heroic and Elemtalist because there is more importance in killing the Golems and you can leverage funnel.

Sark you would play Elementalist always since in p2 and p3 you can cleave the adds and pwave haste can be used to funnel on Sark. Mythic is very different for 2 reasons. The fight is more scripted since p1 ends based on a timer and for the intermission you will wait till the last second around 2:08 to interrupt him to start p2. The second reason is that in P2 there is a new big add that spawns with the others that needs to die so our funnel was crazy there. Since you know roughly when the add is going to spwan, the tech you would to do to maximize damage is that you Pwave between 2:05 - 2:08 while you go to come up. You then drop WFT, then hit Sark with Wolves > Elemental Blast > Ice Strike > Flame Shock, wait till the adds spawn to then hit the Mythic add with Flameshock > Lava Lash to spread dot other Adds > Sunder for Tier > LB > Frost Shock and then go to town. This does crazy damage but this also aligns Pwave so you will always be able to LB cleave every add set and funnel the add down. Same spec, same boss, completely different demands and game play expression. These thing also extend to M+ in higher keys as well.

I disagree with a lot of things people suggest or say about enhance like button bloat, combining buttons, removing ice strike, make abilities choices so can only take one. Alot of people have these opinions I get where they come from because they are not necessary in lower end content (anybody who tells you have to do these things are apes; play how you want). They don’t see the value of these thing because they were never REQUIRED to utilize them. You can certainly do in lower content but its often not worth it or it wont be possible let alone its not at all required but its different thing when that can be the deciding factor if you kill a boss or time a key. When me or Faminex are talking about Enhancement looking bleak, we’re talking about it from a much greater perspective because I can tell you right now that how it performs in high end content affects how its treated in normal/heroic/low M+ given people have for years memed on survival hunters despite it not matter what spec you play. For us it’s there and what happens to it has a massive impact on high-end players because for some of us fine just doesn’t cut it. That’s also why we might come off as strong.

Or better yet make it a skyriding mount …
I mean it’s a ghost …

I just want to be able to move a bit more when s*** hits the fan. Shaman feels like it’s moving in slow motion compared to the mobility of most classes now. “Stuck in the molasses” Candyland style. ;(

Now that will be cool. Like a spirit hawk for flight and spirit wolf for ground

Walk through walls, disappear, and fly! 100%

Give Wolf wings, no hawk.

Yea, great reply.

First, I haven’t touched doomwinds in ages.

And second, the global cooldowns are just as annoying in pve as they are in pvp. Other classes don’t have this many global cooldowns. Why do we have to be balanced around a million of them with the tradeoff of feeling clunky?

Not even sure why I’m complaining anymore. The blue post said they are generally happy with enhancement the way it is. No amount of complaining will convince them otherwise. Only solution is to move on. I played my spriest for the first time in awhile today in all pvp greens with one purple necklace. Compared to enhancement, it is massively ezmode. Other than assassin rogue, it’s probably the easiest dps spec I’ve played for the amount of havoc it can cause in pvp.

And no, complexity does not make a class more fun or better, especially when it is not rewarded with more damage. That is what it comes down to. If you are going to make a class complex, then reward it with more damage or more defense. Instead, we are rewarded with a 25% nerf to elemental blast. Really?

3 Likes

Some ungas just want bungas and that’s not a bad thing.

Excuse you.

Plenty of us don’t think 2h ench is dumb at all. I think it would actually be really cool!

1 Like

It was the origin of the spec after all. It’s our heritage.

Quite literally the spec was one the best melee in every raid tier on every fight that actually mattered. We were a top pick in Season 1 in mythic plus and the first half of Season 2 until Aug came an upended the whole meta. And every fight you were able to exploit its complexity Enhance was literally one of the best DPS for the fight.

We’re not at all balanced around GCDs so I don’t even know where you are coming from. Go play play Unholy DK and see how they use their GCDs.

If you think they are implying that they are literally going not touch Enhance at all in any capacity you might be taking their words to literally. They are not going to rip out pwave, do 2 hand enhance, make it literally 3 buttons, or any of that. Minor talent modifications, reducing 2 talent point options, and adding pathing nodes are completely reasonable things seeing as they do stuff like that randomly during expansions.

I’m curious do you know why they decided to do that? I’m going to tell you that it was dumb af reason to nerf Elemental Blast, but I want to know if you can infer what their reasoning maybe that led to the nerf.

So I am coming from the perspective of somebody who played Frost DK for a good bit and was actively testing 2hand Frost DK during the beta and played Frost DK in SL…for like 2 weeks before I switched to Unholy because they to nerf 2hand Frost DK because it literally as over powered as Aug was when it first came out. They had to do that due to how 2handed weapons because of how it interacted with the spec and is quite literally Frost DK has been stuck with Cleaving Strikes.

So its cool you want it, but if its not just a transmog option it should not happen.

I mean i personally don’t care how it returns, so long as its back.

1 Like