New Realm Connections are Underway

It should have been the first on the list. It’s amazing how dead that realm is.

1 Like

I did see Feathermoon and Scarlet Crusade went Low, surprised to see Madoran as well. What was shocking was Silver Hand went from High (where it’s been for ten years) down to Medium.

The population indicator is likely an indicator of how full a particular set of server hardware is.

Realm connections may have placed more blades into the group your server is part of, and therefore you may show lower capacity utilization of a greater pool. (Think like getting thrown into bigger sized “boxes”, now your box is no longer full / high / medium “full”.)

Grizzly Hills and Lothar went from Medium to High when they were joined up, and Korgath went from New Players all the way to High…feels all upended.

Considering that the Malfurion, Trollbane, Grizzly Hills, Lothar, Gnomeregan, Moonrunner, Ghostlands and Kael’thas cluster went through a total of 3 recent connections (08/04/2020, 09/03/2020 and 09/17/2020), I would assume that their total number of players on that blade simply filled up and are now High.

In other words, players from Malfurion, Trollbane, Gnomeregan, Moonrunner, Ghostlands and Kael’thas filled up the “extra space of the box” that Grizzly Hills and Lothar brought into the mix.

“New Players” does not always mean that the realm is low pop.

Heck, back near the end of MoP, Zul’jin was marked as “New Players”.
Dalaran was also a “New Players” realm for a good while during Legion.

Indeed, in china as well Echo Ridge is also labeled as “new players” despite it being among the 5 mega servers there (alongside Anzu, Deathwing, Grim Batol & Silver Hand) Ofc… It means nothing more than its the realm that the will redirect players to if they start up wow for the first time… it has no baring on actual population and is very misleading.

Also the labels are relative to the regional average, as servers get connected the average population goes up so severs that miss out on those connections naturally drop this… Look at Taiwan servers, before connections Shadowmoon was constantly full, now everything is medium cause they went so hard there and merged everything into 3 servers.

woot more lag and random framerates love it. The server can’t cope with these mergers and Blizzard have done nothing to combat it.

I’m not sure if you’re interpreting it the same, but the other thread about connections was closed after 10 days, so it was clearly done by blizzard, isn’t that a confirmation they’re done with connections for now? I don’t understand why they just won’t say it though.

Server hardware/blades is a thing of the past. They are using cloud tech (sharding).

So why can’t they make us just one big server?

Names, lag, shared resources, …

2 Likes

Source please.

Or do you work for Blizzard?

First I found was:

https://cloud.google.com/press-releases/2020/0124/abk-and-google-enter-relationship

Now, the whole game setup wouldnt work if it is all hosted on individual server blades…

Really a RealmID these days is just a database ID from where all character and realm system information is stored… Its why there is still the divide between west coast, east coast and Australian servers but the divide between localities is about the only divide that still exists, from there the open world is just sharded.

Have you given any thought to merging all realms together into a Sandbox. If it was me I would do that. I like to give away gold from time to time. There is a story behind that thing I do. I would also do something to make it so that Horde and Alliance can at least communicate with each other. I mean now they can talk in videos, why not in game.

When will forced CRZ and sharding be removed Blizzard? What is the point in connecting all these realms together when we still don’t see people from our own realm in the open world.

Another massive issue i have with my realm connection was my home realm of Jubie’thos was connected to a massive Alliance realm Frostmourne. All realms connected to Frostmourne have done nothing for the horde population, all it has done was make the AH a bit cheaper. Pickings are slim for the horde on this connected realms, as you now have 300 alliance raiding guilds compared to the 40ish from the horde.

So now i have a few options, play and accept it, which i will not as i don’t enjoy what CRZ and sharding has done to this game. Plus the added massive influx of alliance players now leads to either xfer all my toons which i will not do as that would cost a ridiculous amount of money which i cannot justify to give to Blizz. Or just keep playing Classic and forget about any expansion which is what I’m going to do.

That was only announced in January of this year and I doubt that it’s already in effect…

Sure, they are using sharding for CRZ and Warmode we all know that.
The reason why I think each server has different capacities is because of how Blizzard labels the server population on the realm selection page.

These “population” I am listing below is based on numbers pulled from raiderIO therefore it may not be the precise count of players on each server but since realmpop dot com is gone now and wowprogress is not up-to-date, it’s the best source we have access to have an idea of the current realm population that is not too far off.

The top 5 servers - Area 52, Stromrage, Tichondrius, Illidan, Frostmourne (+4) - these servers that have always been considered as high pop realms are labeled as “Full”, which makes complete sense.

And then these following servers also known as high pop are mostly labeled as “High”, but it makes you wonder what makes some of these realms “Full” instead of “High”, and vise versa.

#6 - Sargeras
RaiderIO population data : 206k+
Population shown on Realm Selection page : High

#7 - Dalaran
RaiderIO population data : 205k+
Population shown on Realm Selection page : Full

#8 - Thrall
RaiderIO population data : 202k+

#9 - Zul’jin
RaiderIO population data : 197k+

#11 - Proudmoore
RaiderIO population data : 187k+

#17 - Mal’Ganis
RaiderIO population data : 141k+

#23 - Bleeding Hollow
RaiderIO population data : 114k+

#24 to #30 : all realms are labeled as “High”.
(except for Azgalor and the associated 6 realms labeled as “New Players”)

At #31, we have the first cluster that is labeled as “Medium”.

#31 - Bloodscalp / Boulderfist / Dunemaul / Maiev / Quel’dorei / Sen’jin / Stonemaul
RaiderIO population data : 93k+
Population shown on Realm Selection page : Medium

#32 to #37 : all realms are labeled as “Medium”.
(except for Andorhal and the associated 8 realms labeled as “High”)

And then at #38, there is this cluster that is labeled as “Full”, despite having about 17k less population than the cluster at #31, which is a “Medium”.

#38 - Eredar / Gorefiend / Hellscream / Spinebreaker / Wildhammer / Zangarmarsh
RaiderIO population data : 76k+

#39 to #45 : all realms are labeled as “Medium” (except for Auchindoun and the associated 8 realms labeled as “High”)

#46 - Dentarg / Whisperwind
RaiderIO population data : 64k+

#47 - Alterac Mountains / Anvilmar / Balnazzar / Gorgonnash / The Forgotten Coast / Undermine / Warsong
RaiderIO population data : 62k+

#48 - Aggramar / Fizzcrank
RaiderIO population data : 58k+

#49 - Darkspear
RaiderIO population data : 58k+
Population shown on Realm Selection page : Low

#50 - Aerie Peak
RaiderIO population data : 57k+

#51. Arthas
RaiderIO population data : 54k+

#52. Durotan / Ysera
RaiderIO population data : 50k+

These above are just some examples I’ve picked up, but how does it make sense that Aggramar + Fizzcrank cluster is at “Full” when Darkspear has about the same population, but is still labeled as “Low”?

How can Alterac Mountains + Anvilmar + Balnazzar + Gorgonnash + The Forgotten Coast + Undermine + Warsong cluster be “Full” when it has about 2k less players than Dentarg + Whisperwind cluster, which is labeled as “Medium”?

The only way these realm population labeling would make sense is that the size of the servers (server population capacity) are not equal / even.

Full ≠ high population
It means the server is crowded.

Warsong, Aggramar & Hellscream as well as the servers that got dumped onto those 3 are and were always abnormalities, why they get marked as full nobody knows but its been that way since legion at least. I can only assume that whatever data they collect to measure realm population is broken on those servers… Remember that Aggramar/undermine were actually hosted on a hidden server (Namely US-Xavius) hence why that cluster was on central time despite neiter of those servers originally being in that time zone. And that server also got merged into it.

That tooltip is outdated and is really a relic of the past… full servers wont be anymore likely to have ques than low pop servers, and new player realms are just the default servers that wow will connect to when you make a new account not through RAF and log in for the first time… It has nothing to do with population and hence why new player servers are all over the place population wise. for US servers only 4 are marked as such and they are 1 east coast server, 1 west coast server, 1 spanish server and 1 portuguese server cluster.

one thing on raider.Io is it only tracks chars that have either done a M+ key or killed a raid boss in the latest tier, its the best we got atm but you need to realise that a lot of people are left out and this can skew the data, especially on RP servers.

also how do you explain what happened in taiwan where we used to have shadowmoon that was full before connections and after everything there is medium/low pop… its because the indicators are based on the regional averages and as the average goes up, realms will begin to drop on the listing.

Indeed, I’m starting to think those indicators aren’t as accurate as I thought, even in eu I’ve found realms marked as high with higher numbers of people online at the same time than realms marked as full.

i really do hope they do more realm connections. The fact the prepatch is now out and there are many many servers that are low pop is a little concerning. Some of the realm connections they just did were great and they sitting at High pop.

1 Like