New Realm and Free Character Moves for Brazil

so the word foreigner

im responsible for what im saying and not what you understand. we dont use it as an offensive word no matter what you say

if they do in LATAM we dont

1 Like

Sure champ. Work on that punctuation.

I just hope you’re not pulling a “he’s wrong because his grammar is not adequate”. The argument stays the same. Greengo in PT-BR means: “someone who lives outside of our borders”. No offense, no appraise, it’s just a neutral word which people use for a little orientation. If LatAm people use as a derogatory, we don’t. Simple as that. As a matter of fact, probably most of us knew about this cultural difference because of this topic. I bet.

im trying to make you understand your mistake on your language, which is not my most proficient one, and you’re making this scene trying to lure me away from the whole discussion point

im not wrong because of my punctuation, but you are no matter what you say. are you a brazilian? do you understand portuguese fluently?

so how come can you mock me about my errors when its you, who probably wont speak anything but your mother language (portuguese i know for sure you dont), that are trying to impose to us something that is not right?

and btw, joking about someone who is not a native english speaker about their grammar/punctuation on an english based forum is so divisive and disrespectful, you should work on that and try to improve

2 Likes

exactly

just to end this, someone who does not believe in that just search for an youtube channel named “tim explica”

this guy is an american who lived in brazil for a couple of years and understand a little bit about our culture. then search again on youtube for “tim explica grin.go”. you gonna find videos of him reacting to stuff (he even has a series called grin.go react) and many other things. its basically him calling himself a grin.go because he knows that is not a bad thing

1 Like

Tldr

No punctuation, no sentence structure. What you just wrote, is barely readable.

please come to Brazil

1 Like

You know, I totally don’t, but maybe you can answer something for me:

My wife is Portuguese and pronounces “Bon Dia” with a “D” sound. Every single person I’ve met from Brazil pronounces “Bon Dia” with a “J” sound so it sounds like “Bon Jia”.

Wife insists she’s correct. Is she?

Uh… Why? In portuguese it LITERALLY means foreigner. We even use inside some Brazillian states (mostly the southern ones) to refer to certain groups of Brazillians (like italian-descendant Brazillians). It has absolutely no negative conotation whatsoever in our language. Unless they add some insult to it, like “greengo fdp”, where FDP is motherf&@#*&er, but then it’s the “fdp” part that is the insult.

She’s not wrong. It’s just an accent difference. In Brazil we have different sounds for many consonants, D being one of them, but also T and some others. In fact what you call a “J” sound is our “D” sound. Brazillian and European Portuguese are basically just as different as American English from, say, Texas, and the English spoken by someone from Scotland.

1 Like

thats just the way they speak in portugal…people in brazil say it in those two different ways too

the j sound is the regular sound for D in brazilian portuguese and the d sound, as you said, is the accent of people from the northeast region.

but brazilians and portugueses have different ways to pronounce some words, none of them are wrong.

its like en-US vs en-UK

Been there a bunch, I like the Acai.

But yeah again, in the context I was talking about G…go was used as a slur. Seems to be common on Thalnos, not sure if it’s any better now.

And I’ve personally been called a such and such G…go on multiple occasions.

But go ahead and defend a divisive word, good luck with that.

Not by Brazillians.

This word simply does not have a slur meaning in portuguese. You can literally ask any Brazillian, everyone says that word and it is not meant as an insult. Maybe it does in Spanish.

It’s just our culture to be territorial, we have rivalries and different names even within our own country depending on the state. People from the southern states are called “sulistas” and it has a similar conotation to the “g word”, for example. It’s not meant as an insult.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s quite common to see brazillians insulting grin.gos. But, as I said, it would be something like “grin.go lixo” or “grin.go fdp”, where the words “lixo” and “fdp” are the insult, not the g word.

2 Likes

I guess this dude can’t accept he lost the argument for some pride reason, then again, no offense. Hey, it’s a not a competition. Be happy many people offered different angles and you learned quite a bit. We don’t mean no harm.

Where I come from the N word is a racist degrading word aimed at a specific community. If another community uses it in a non racist way, it does not mean that they are allowed to use it freely around other communities or even within my own community. This is called social adaptation, something I barely see on my realm, Thalnos.

Yeah, the whole phrase is insulting, but it can and is used as a negative.

Can you honestly say in the phrase, " That Fing G…go." , that’s not being used negatively.

The word has a connotation, whoever says it is divisive.

What argument? Are you so daft you can’t see, that language has connotations.

If I’m playing with a group of people, and them call me an outsider, it’s insulting and idiotic. It doesn’t matter what the speakers culture is.

Is the “literal rest of the world outside of Brazil” a specific community though? It is true that many Brazillians are bitter towards foreigners, but can it really be considered racist or whatever if it’s not directed at any community in particular?

If your family is racist and you start saying the stuff you say during family dinner and everyone outside of your family gets mad at you, you stop and adapt instead of explaining to every stranger how ‘my family means it nicely’.

guys, just accept that: grin.go alone does not have an offensive conotation in brazil

you can feel that is an offense but is just not. its something on our culture to call a foreigner as a grin.go. its nearly impossible if you come live in brazil that you wont be known as gring.o on your social circle. people who likes you, who wanna be around you will call you that way

1 Like

almost every brazilian dont like the fact that americans consider us as latins

do you guys will stop that because we get mad at you?

1 Like