New Playable Races Ideas

Hello Wyrmrest it is your favorite “can’t shut up about Ogres” guy. I’ve seen a couple threads about changes to the game, like what expansion you would write and what dungeons you would add to the game. So how about new races? Playable races, imo, add flavor and replayability to a game, something critical in an MMO.

What races would you like to see added? Do they exist in the lore right now? Would they be Horde, Alliance, or both like the Pandaren? What racials would they have?

For me I know my list is:
Alliance: Broken, Arrakoa, High Elves, Vrykul, Jinyu/Ankoan, and Furbolgs.

Horde: Ogres, Naga, Hozen, and Gilgoblins.

So what would you like to see added?

9 Likes

I would love to see playable arakkoa. I played through the questlines of Spires of Arak for the first time recently and I loved them. Their lore seemed cool, and I loved the characters, particularly Reshad and Percy.

“RAAAWWWRRRKKK!!! Nasty bird!”

Tuskarr and ogres are also races I’d love to see.

3 Likes

Broken. Give us the real Draenei Blizzard, you cowards!

12 Likes

Dire trolls.

Drogbar might also be fun.

3 Likes

Drogbar would be a cool race! I would think they’d technically be part of the Highmountain tribes and would have relations with the Horde because of it. They’d be a neat answer to the Dwarves for the Horde.

Tuskarr would be cool for the Alliance I think. Most of the races are human-lite or Elf, it could use some actual unique options.

1 Like

I don’t want a high elf race. We have too many damn elves. If we could just get natural hair colors and a damn tentacle toggle on void elves, we’d be golden. Maybe, maybe, put paladins in the velf roster (look, if they can be holy priests, then Paladin isn’t that far a stretch), but the hair colors by themselves would do wonders.

Ogres are a much needed thing. Mok’nathal are also frequently requested.

I think Vrykul would actually be a pretty interesting addition to the Horde. They certainly have the Horde aesthetic, and having the progenitors of humans fighting against them might be interesting.

Walrein have always been a popular request.

Honestly, what about like… Mantid? Get some buggybois on the roster.

EDIT: Also, Sethrakk.

4 Likes

Helf customization for Velfs would also be good, but I feel like they’d need to add Paladins to them too if that’s the route they’re gonna go.

Vrykul do certainly fit the Horde aesthetic but I think it depends on which region they’re coming from. Northrend ones would do well in the Horde, but Stormheim, particularly the Valarjar, might have issues there. The Horde defiled a sacred place and it was the Alliance who came to the rescue. I could see the argument though that Horde adventurers helped Odyn against Helya, but I think the incident with Eyir would probably push alot of them to the Alliance.

I like the idea of Mantid but the Old God thing kind of holds them back I think. I think all the bug races except maybe the Nerubians are almost compelled to follow the Old Gods, like it’s in their DNA. I would certainly be open to a fringe group of them that’s broken free of this influence though.

1 Like

I want demons

Eredar, nethrazim, all those edgy guys

Maybe in some alien planet set adventure we could recruit legion remnants, idk, I just want to be a shirtless red-draenei warlock

8 Likes

Like I said, I don’t personally care all too much, but that seems to be the big request is “paladins”.

I like the concept Void Paladins, or Disc Paladins, so unless we get like… Class reskins, then you right.

Yeah! That’s fair. I was thinking the OG NR Vrykul, but Stormheim Vrykul would definitely not be okay with the Horde.

Yeah, but we got void elves. If those guys can avoid going all “must serve the Old Gods”, then I think there could be a splinter group. I chose Mantid, because - between the Mantid, Qiraji, and Nerubians - they have legs for mounts and armor.

2 Likes

Oh man I didn’t even think about the Velf side of it. Honestly if Velfs can resist the call of the Void I don’t see why some Mantid couldn’t.

As for demons I’m honestly a fan of the idea of Eredar in the Alliance and Fel Orcs in the Horde. We already have Velfs, might as well open the doors to our Fel infused counterparts. It could even be an interesting plot point for internal conflict - the Lightforged go berserk at the idea Eredar are welcomed into the Alliance, while the Mag’har are angry Fel Orcs are now part of the Horde.

2 Likes

NO MORE ELVES

I’d like to see Sethraak for the Alliance. You start off with them being the first people you meet when you’re doing Vol’Dun as Alliance and the interactions seemed a little more positive than it was for Horde characters.

Mogu for the Horde. The Horde embodies power, aggression and strength. Less now than during Cata and Pandaria, but I feel that rogue Mogu warlords would take their clans and join the Horde because of this.

Arrakoa and Saberon would be good neutral races because we need more neutral races than just Pandarens. Maybe we’d actually get an origin for the Saberon by having an introduction quest line? Arrakoa would have dual body options like Worgen and you could shift between the fancy Arrakoa of Skyreach and the fallen Arrakoa.

(Do this for Draenei as well)

Ogres for the Horde for obvious past lore reasons, but no two headed ogres.

Jinyu for Alliance because obvious lore reasons.

I suggest these because I would like actual new player models and not just re-skins that shouldn’t even be separate during character customization. Instead you should just be given skin and body options and then you choose your background to get the custom opening for that specific type of Euman/Elf/Tauren/Troll/Orc/Dwarf.

3 Likes

As an Ogre RPer myself, I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. This is the perfect idea for the next new MAIN playable races. Not allied.

Ogres for the Horde, and Vrykul for the Alliance. It makes so much sense! Ogres are the ancestors of Orcs, and Vrykul are the ancestors of Humans. That way, each faction gets a half-giant race that is the immediate ancestor of the main race of that faction! So an Orc could walk up to a Human and say 'My Ancestor could kick your Ancestor’s butt." And then they’d fight. And it’d be awesome.

And before anyone say Vrykul have more of a Horde aesthetic, they really don’t. Barbarism does not definite the Horde, and Vrykul have more of a culture than that. They have much more in common with the Alliance, having fellow Titanforged among them who worship the same gods. Tyr, Khaz’goroth, Mimiron, et cetera. All it would take for Vrykul to join the Alliance is for a faction of them to get shipwrecked on some island somewhere, meet up with some fellow shipwrecked Alliance Sailors , and work together to survive so the Vrykul can be like: “You -ARE- honorable! We should be friends now!” Because that is -exactly- how the Goblins became a playable race.

Ogres for the Horde are much easier since two Ogre clans are already a part of it. Stonemaul and Dunemaul.

5 Likes

ogres in the alliance because the horse keeps enslaving multiple ogre groups (the dunemaul, dreadmaul). Maybe the night elves start freeing the ogres to fight the Horde…

Vrykul in the horde because they hate humanity. That was the reason humans ended up in Tirisfal, after all. The Vrykul tried to wipe their new small “deformed” children out.

Bamboozled you.

1 Like

Lots of good ideas in here, but we’re still missing Forest Trolls and Ethereals.

4 Likes

I sometimes wonder if for MoP the Pandaren had gone Alliance and Mogu went Horde. Xin the Weaponmaster would’ve been a good leader for them. Strong leader to keep the clans together but realistic enough to realize the Mogu will be more powerful fighting with the Horde rather than against it. This could’ve been a neat plot point with Isle of Thunder where Xin now faces a crisis trying to keep the clans loyal to the Horde, while the Horde aligned Mogu are now struggling to prove their loyalty in the face of their people deserting to serve the Thunder King.

Mogu also could’ve served as a good bridge for the Zandalari to join beyond just the Darkspear. Not only are the Darkspear prominent in the Horde, but their ancient allies are there to lend a helping hand. There could’ve been a cool sub-plot in Zuldazar with Xin facing off against Zul’s Mogu.

Mogu could certainly still join the Horde, it could make for interesting storytelling where the Pandaren are uncomfortable with the fact two forces that tried to conquer them are now in the Horde, but I feel we’ve missed the boat in terms of cool plot points.

2 Likes

I want to be a dredger.

2 Likes

Ask yourselves; are we really even ooking if it’s not in the dooker?

7 Likes

I would trade half of the characters on my roster for the ability to play as an Ethereal… or even a Saurok/Sethrakk, because it is a crime that we have four fur-based races and not a single reptilian one! Though Arrakoa would be an acceptable compromise.

3 Likes

I feel like Ethereals could just put on armor over their bandages. They obviously have some kind of matter to have their bandages wrapped around, I don’t see what’s stopping them from throwing on a robe or a helmet. I think the Sethrak would be a great addition to the Alliance though!

2 Likes

I want more neutral playable races. Partially because Blizzard’s writing has been pretty questionable with some of the latest new playable races they’ve given us. If it was at least neutral races then I’d hope the writing around them would be a little better than, one time the Alliance sneezed in my general direction therefore my people joined the Horde to murder them all or I accidentally tripped and used the wrong magic and now me and all my friends are exiled to the Alliance.

Ethereals, Sethrakk, Arrakoa could be good neutral options.

5 Likes