New Multithread Optimization

I wouldn’t worry about the optimisations being pulled away this close to 8.1 dropping. NVIDIA has already updated their drivers to better accommodate the optimisations, and everything appears to be stable thus far.

I’m hoping we see more multi-threaded improvements in future patches. Both 8.0 and 8.1 have given us healthy performance boosts.

This is about all you’re going to get. Most of the way the multi-core enhancement was achieved was separate particle calls from the main thread. Once the center of a particle affect is determined by the main thread, the individual particles can be off-loaded to separate draw calls. So now instead of every particle of an Ice Storm or Rain of Fire having to be issued a draw call from the main thread, it can be offloaded to a separate thread.

I believe something similar was acomplished with shadows.

Kagrhul, you’ve always been quite pessimistic about multi-threaded improvements in WoW. Previously you said that DX12 wouldn’t bring any of these improvements to the table, and now they’re here. The rendering engine may be sufficiently threaded at this point, but there are still other systems that may be ripe for such performance gains. I’m certainly not holding my breath, but I’m not writing off the possibility either. It’s fairly obvious that Blizzard has been working on squeezing better utilisation out of modern hardware.

3 Likes

Because i have an actual understanding of the code involved from speaking to real programmers, some of whom have even worked on the WoW engine. I post in a lot of other places, not just this benighted land of willful ignorance and idiocy.

Which they didn’t. DX12 for most people brought… margin of error differences. You incorrectly believe these changes have a single thing to do with DX12. They dont. They are entirely due to a very deep-level re-write that would work just fine in DX11, except they are not going to bother because DX11 is relatively dead development wise and it would be a waste of man hours.

These are not DX12 specific changes.

Sure, and without a complete and total rewrite of the networking code and how it is coupled to the main thread, it isn’t going to happen. And at this point, that would require an almost total rewrite of everything. A lot of other stuff is tied into that main thread, including animation timings, how things work on target range and ability delay reaching targets… all sorts of basic stuff. Replicating that with a different model and not radically changing how the game plays at this point would be nearly impossible.

If im pessimistic, its because Blizzard has never delivered. And thats not pessimism at this point, thats realism.

Pessimism would imply that they’d done miracles in the past and i was just dogging them.

Im honestly shocked they managed to get the performance boost that they did.

1 Like

I’m a bit shocked as well, which is what leaves me cautiously hopeful for even more in the future. I’m not expecting miracles either, but incremental gains are more than welcome.

Also, I am a programmer myself by trade. I’ve written parallelised code and introduced multi-threaded optimisations to existing systems. It can be a daunting task, but it’s not impossible. Multi-threaded rendering may not be the last gain that we’ve seen If there’s an internal focus at Blizzard to improve performance in WoW.

It’s impossible to say where exactly things will go from here, but I’m not going to either dismiss nor expect further improvements for multi-core processors.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you guys are smoking :stuck_out_tongue:

But i’m loving the 40 more fps… Idc if you are going to say “lol 40more fps in 2018”

Playing on Ultra settings and getting extra 40-50 fps is good. regardless.

I tested it on LIVE standing on the Horde BFA city, with full ultra settings around 40-50 fps.

On the PTR i’m getting 94 FPS on ultra settings standing in the same spot.

Keep in mind I tested this in the morning when the Horde City was also empty on Live. on my dead realm.

2 Likes

Played with console commands which seems more accurate of a test as even turning 5 degrees wildly swings fps. So live vs ptr was never going to be accurate.

There does seem to be about a 20% (37 vs 45) improvement with all of the settings maxed. However it is still way below my normal settings fps (70 vs 45 in this test). With my normal settings MT on/off the fps is pretty much the same fps.

I think they call pull more out of draw distance at least.
EDIT: Seems 9 view distance a lot of the performance comes back and pushes into the high 60s. Also noticed lower detail areas are higher. If I stare at the sky its 100fps vs 180!

What CPU and graphic card are you using?

I’m currently using 1080ti and i’m noticing a huge boost compare to live and PTR. like almost 40 extra fps.

With full max ultra settings on live I get around 45 fps in the Horde BFA city Dala’zor or watever.

But on the PTR max ultra settings i’m getting 94.

Seems good.

The same 1080ti / 2950x several posts above :wink: What resolution and MSAA (I use 4x)? Also those numbers are bottom of the barrel worse case even on live most places I’m in the 90s.

Just tested this - with it off, my 8700k @ 5ghz sits around 20-21% in Boralus on the PTR. With it on, it goes up to 28-30%. That’s close to a 50% increase in CPU usage.

in game when i do it - enabling gets me from around 115 fps in boralus with relaxed settings to 144 cap, which is about 30ish fps more on top of 115, which is exactly in line with the 25% that people have been citing.

What command did you use?

This information from Kodiak

Funny when I tested live vs PTR I didn’t see a CPU utilization difference but using PTR with console commands I now see it. Its 5.x% vs about 8% :wink: And about 38% vs 50% on the GPU.

Now that I think about I think I had a few Nvidia control panel tweaks as well that I probably never applied to the PTR exe files interested to see how live does Tuesday with those and no debugging.

2 Likes

There’s more improvements that can be bled out when the average consumer’s hardware catches up. These performance improvements are nice but still small in the grand scheme of things.

Smashy, Salhezar and Ragequitten are already disproving what you’re saying. You in the past are saying double digits. You gotta make up your mind. Margin of error or double digits, which is it?

Multi-engine functionality doesn’t work on DX11 or OpenGL so DX12, Metal or Vulkan were necessary.

Just played on live and did the world boss.

With relaxed settings and a full raid group, didn’t drop below 75fps withe relaxed settings; seemed to hover around 90-120

prior to the update it would tank to the 50s and 40s

1 Like

Pretty much the same experience here. Is BfA out of beta now? Can it be?!?!?!

uploaded a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DJrCmeDSVU&feature=youtu.be

closer to around 80-100fps average. not bad, used to be mid 50s

need to log into my wife’s R5 1600 to see if she has similar results

EDIT: oh god she has 60hz monitors. oh the humanity

Anywhoo, with same settings as my 8700k system, the wife’s manages around 45-55fps int he world boss fight with the optimization disabled. Enabled, it is around 55-80fps. so 22-30% boost in minimum FPS enabled.

her system is 3.8ghz, 2666mhz cl16 memory.

bottoming out at just under 60fps with relaxed settings with a 1060 3gb (GPU was around 53% util, cpu only around 23%)

Coming the two, although not identical, the low of 55 vs 75… That’s like a 36% difference in fps lol

Ya, but are you playing full ultra settings 10?

What do you define as “relaxed settings”?

Because at my standard settings, literally nothing changed. Hit about 50fps in the World Boss, same as always.

55-80 in world boss fights for me as well, mostly around the upper 70s occasions at 50

with the Vega Frontier and 2700x at stock settings, at 4k resolution

sitting in Boralus I am around 80 fps at 4k

the fps increased big time indeed

edit: ah god I mixed up the numbers lol