New Multithread Optimization

Hello all,

I haven’t seen anything more in depth about this upcoming feature other than it releases the 11th. Any info on how many threads it supports?

PTR seems about the same as the live game except it hiccups more. It rarely goes over 10% CPU and 40-50% GPU. May have been too much for them and they are giving themselves to 8.1.5 or 8.2. I know they had it off/on several times due to crashes.

Thanks. I knew they had turned it off at least once. I didn’t know it’s basically been off this long. I hope they release it soon.

Instability increased and performance decreased over time. Not sure why they decided to not just leave it as is when it was at least stable.

Have they said how many threads the game utilizes? My lil bro in law will be building a PC sometime and will be playing WoW.

dozens.

The issue is that all but about 2 of those threads can be handled by a single core without breaking a sweat.

For now, it seems the Multi-core enhancements for 8.1 got shelved. They seem to be disabled in the current PTR build.

WoW is never going to be “uses all 30 cores 100%”!!!

Never ever.

You will never need more than 3-4 fast cores for WoW to perform extremely well, without a complete and total rewrite of the engine, and even then, a huge portion of the work has to be done by one thread because of how secure client/server networking does.

My guess is they are targeting working on it right after 8.1 releases they just want to get it out. The priority is most likely addressing player concerns that are piling up.

Ignore Kagthul’s trolling.

As you can see from the graphs below BFA can scale well across multiple CPU cores. The 8.1 enchantments, when working allowed, utilized the DX12 capabilities for better cpu/gpu utilization. It’s a tricky task since various AMD, Nvidia and Intel cards are harder to optimize for.

i . imgur . com / SJz416s . png

Posts useless Mac OS CPU usage charts (which would have looked identical to this before the patch because of how Grand Central assigns work to cores) as if it is somehow relevant to the 99.9% of people who play this game on Windows.

Keep on strapping those rocket-assisted thrusters to your goalposts kiddo.

Pointing out your lies and deliberate malfeasance isn’t trolling.

ITs calling y ou out on your delusions.

And you dont ignore me. You DESPERATELY respond trying to make yourself look right.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

And you have yet to succeed.

Keep on truckin, kiddo. And get that help i mentioned.

You need it.

1 Like

Ignore Kagthul rant. Mac OS can’t magically schedule threads onto different CPU cores if the WoW client software isn’t multi-thread and doesn’t benefit from being scheduled as such. This is also easily reproducible on Linux and FreeBSD.

Conclusion: WoW is multi-threaded and it works well already. DX12 framework is already built for BFA. More enhancements will come for better CPU/GPU utilization over time.

The multi-threaded optimisations are still working in the latest PTR build. Not sure where the conflicting information is from, but maybe the optimisations were briefly disabled in an otherwise recent build? Here’s the improvement I’m seeing while looking down from Dazar’alor on the current PTR build (8.1.0.28657):

Seeing an FPS boost from ~49 FPS to ~63 FPS (with minor fluctuation, of course). Still getting that same ~25-30% performance boost as before.

5 Likes

I tested as I posted 3 days ago running them side by side and the CPU/GPU utilization was pretty much the same with the same FPS. Maybe because I’m on a NVIDIA card?

Also I bounce between 70-120fps as it is (not raiding).

There is a new Driver update from NVIDIA for the upcoming 8.1 Changes. make sure to download it it was yesterday or 2 days ago.

I’m using NVIDIA card as well, but i got 20-30% boost and noticable.

On live i get around : 55 FPS with 10 draw distance.

On the PTR: 94 FPS with 10 Draw distance.

There is a huge improvement with DX12.

I’m also on an Nvidia card. I’m running a 9900K and a 2080 Ti.

The 2080 TI is more AMD GCN like than their predecessor Nvidia cards. You’re getting the best of both worlds. People with 1080 TIs or older might not benefit as much. Older Nvidia cards use more CPU in DX12 because those cards lack the hardware scheduler for multiengine.

You rock. New drivers ‘feel’ better but I didn’t do a lot of analysis to really say empirically.

Installed newest drivers, rebooted. Reset BOTH live and PTR to 10 (1440p with 4xMSAA) and went to stand in the exact spot as posted above (lol fps is low there).

6.5% cpu
35.5% gpu
37fps (71fps on my normal settings)

7.5% cpu
50.2% gpu
39.5fps (71fps on my normal settings)

Normal settings have a lot of the “10” settings but view distance is 8, lowered partial physics, etc.

GTX 1080ti and 2950x.

Comparing between live and PTR can be a bit tricky, especially in populated areas where player count can be a significant uncontrolled variable. Historically, PTR builds have often been a bit slower than final live builds as well, possibly due to debug code overhead and other factors.

I would recommend toggling the optimisations on and off on the PTR using /console gxMTDisable {0,1} instead (0 to enable, 1 to disable). That should give you a better representation of how the optimisations are improving performance.

1 Like

What mode is your CPU set? Nvidia drivers have/had lots of problems with high core count CPUs (minus RTX series). Can you drop your CPU to game mode and test?

I manually set affinity even to a single CCX the numbers were al the same. Unless you crank up view distance to maximum and stand on a cliff it seems that instance does give about 5%.

Thanks I’ll try but I’ve never found PTR accurate anyway they are known to yank things at the last minute and it has debugging on.