New multi-boxing restrictions don't go far enough

The language of the rules do nothing to stop some super wealthy/bored or actual gold farming company from using hardware as opposed to software to multibox.

They need to add the words regarding hardware. They are important and they matter. Even if Blizzard can’t detect or prove hardware, the TOS gives them the right to ban anyone who even appears to be multiboxing (they can ban you for any reason) just to prevent them from having future headaches of multiboxers being banned and claiming they didn’t use software, just hardware.

24 Likes

Yes, some one just brought that up in another thread and I hadn’t considered that until now.
I assumed all coordinated multiboxing would be covered, but never even knew you COULD use hardware to do this.

Let’s keep discussing this and see if we can get a response on this, because it has to be against the spirit of the change right?

17 Likes

The 1% always win.

2 Likes

they didnt ban multiboxing at all, thye limited it. they are changing the elua to make key cloners tos.

4 Likes

Could the hardware be used for botting? If not then no. Because it’s my understanding the change is only a thing because bots started using the same software. They couldn’t make warden detect it unless they made it detect the boxer software.

4 Likes

Precisely why I say it does not go far enough.

3 Likes

I’m going to multibox in shadowlands with my 20 accounts. i’ll be using 5 computers with 5 num pads. as i alt tab to my other toons. i can hit buttons toghter on 5 num pads to get the job done.

6 Likes

Of course, that’s how it was done back in the day before the software existed

Doesn’t seem that way

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/can-you-please-clarify-a-few-things-regarding-multiboxing/707988/14

What do you think?

2 Likes

Unless hardware is also added to the language, and thus the reason for the thread.

1 Like

Where did you get that info?
It makes sense if that is the case.
But still, I was told that many of the top offenders in this botting schema already use hardware to accomplish their tasks.

It’s just really my interpretation of the announcement. When reading it they specifically mention botting as the intended target but their policy has long been that multi-boxing isn’t botting. And it seems to be that is still their stance as boxing itself is still allowed.

“We’ve seen an increasingly negative impact to the game as this software is used to support botting and automated gameplay”

Is where it’s specifically mentions their target. Boxing comes later and the way they talk about it makes it seem like it’s just a friendly fire target.

2 Likes

What do I think about what?
They are banning software that clones keypresses so you actually have to play the toons individually.
They should be banning hardware that does the same thing.
That is how it seems to me, and how it should be if they are doing anything at all.

Would need to hear it from some one who is making the decision, not just responding to support threads though.

6 Likes

Botting can be done with a single character running a program to control its actions. A group of bots can be programmed each to perform different, unconnected activities that work together to accomplish whatever task the group is designed to do.

Can hardware have the same effect as keycloning, and do they care? That’s the question. Bots are a different issue.

What the Blue said, to me it reads as hardware boxxing is still fine.

2 Likes

Right, playing two accounts at once is obviously not botting or against the rules.
You might be right though.
I focused on the stuff proceeding it and just wrote the botting part off as a fluff excuse they were using to ban it.

We’ve examined the use of third-party input broadcasting software, which allows a single keystroke or action to be automatically mirrored to multiple game clients, and we've seen an increasingly negative impact to the game

1 Like

yea but its totally ok to multibox if you use seperate accounts and run them all at the same time without a program. which you can easily do with the follow command and macros. you dont really need the multiboxing programs to do it unless your just lazy.

3 Likes

I think at this point it’s a grey area that perhaps they didn’t realize they were going to need to clarify.

1 Like

Ya, that’s a support representative.
I would like to see the topic addressed by whomever makes the decisions.

1 Like

Key Cloning is exactly what they banned…

Where you people think that this “input broadcasting software” is an actual term is mental gymanstics. Its a term made by blizzard, meaning any thing that makes 1 key effect more than one client.

3 Likes

That’s possible, Honestly if it is their intention to ban boxing I wish they would just outright say it. To intentionally leave players uncertain isn’t very ethical in my opinion. People pay a lot to multibox and a change like that they should be direct about.

2 Likes