New Loa of change and moonkin. Q'onzu

And that’s fine. I wasn’t suggesting you take a dismissive attitude on it. I’m just pointing out that a lot of what blizz writes isn’t really that deep. You get the occasional quest like the time rift with Alex they wanted to add that people were rightfully mad at and they changed their minds on.

That’s all I’m saying. Wasn’t trying to dismiss your valid complaints about it. Sorry if it came off that way

Which tends to be the problem, yeah. There’s a lot of issues from the old writing and approaches to move toward better portrayals, the centaur being a big and recent example. And I do thank you for the reassurance and apologize if that came off too shortly. It’s been a recurring issue, too, to want to talk about and bring up issues with blizzard’s portrayal of trolls without being dismissed in some way or another. The Siame Quashi change, for example, would have never happened before. And it’s things like that where scrutiny needs to be applied, whether the designer’s intentions were malicious or not.

2 Likes

I’m more annoyed by how that text is trying to imply that there is a definite and widely-known dividing line between Loa and Wild God. I like the vagueness of the term Loa, and I’d prefer if the denizens of the Dream didn’t care about what names the mortals called them - or for a group of dryads, who of all the Dream denizens would probably best fit the gossipy type, would only view it like joining a different clique within the Dream rather than calling ‘Loa’ some mortal thing.

6 Likes

And I agree there some…rather questionable things that were added to the game over the years that needed to be changed and still do need to be changed or removed if they can’t change it to something more reasonable.

I do understand the issue people have about trolls and how they’re often portrayed. It’s usually one good step forward, thirty steps back with how blizz handles a lot of their writing regarding trolls.

I don’t want to say it’s malicious, but I can see why it certaintly feels rather intentional at times

So since Elune still created the moonkin, I guess even Troll-related Wild Gods are not completely immune from Elune’s influence.

Would be rather out of left field, but I hope this Q’onzu turns out to be the Dreadlord that infiltrated Life.

It’s blizzard’s fault for waffling on where they’ve applied the term wild god over time, too. I wrote about this briefly and have been thinking about writing on it more in depth, but there is a definite line between the two. It’s weird that blizzard wants to still say that Loa are wild gods though, because if you’re a wild god in the lore you’ve either been uplifted specifically by the titans or titan creations/power, or supposedly exist and don’t have near the power, freedom, or growth the Loa do. Like that is very much a known distinction that every Loa we’ve met has their own agency and the potential to be self serving in that regard and towards the goal of growing their power via followers, temples, and shrines.

I’d say unfortunately that it leans more towards malicious with the old lore, going so far as bfa even, but delving into that is probably not suitable for here. I feel bad enough going off topic as is.

2 Likes

Ought is a strong word, because again, the use of the singular they is grammatically correct in the instance you used.

“You were talking to that man earlier, what was it about?”
“Oh, I just found their wallet and returned it.”

Even though you know the person is male and is a man, the use of their is as grammatically correct as the use of his. Surely you can think of instances in your own life where you have used the gender neutral they to refer to people of determined gender.

And even if you think people can’t choose to not identify as either, which I have complex opinions on I won’t go into here, you have to at least admit that if anything had claim to having no gender it would be a spirit even if other spirits use gendered pronouns.

8 Likes

Fair. At least we both can agree that blizz defintely has a problem regarding how they write trolls regularly. I think that’s a fine place to leave it

2 Likes

I have a dreadful fear I will have to put up with this obnoxious owl to get my new moonkin forms. While they are the most “fey” wild god we have had to deal with in the dream insofar as they are capricious and self absorbed, Q’onzu still annoyed me.

I have a suspicion that they might of been created by Elune, though—They have both an owl motif, and a celestial/astral motif. Plus even Aessina thought they had just… always been there as long as the dream had existed. Q’onzu appears to of just gotten… very, very, very bored with the eternally unchanging dream and starting doing whatever they think might be amusing. Including, apparently, decreeing themselves the Loa of Change to justify their actions.

That would make me very happy! Give any excuse to beat him up! He has it coming for the way he’s treating me and the Dream.

1 Like

Eh, They’re a refreshing change from the monolith that the Wild Gods (and by extension their followers) seem to be. Ever since Legion, the Wild Gods seem devoid of any personality… sans Aviana.

I don’t care if they don’t want to defend the Dream… so long as they can take the consequences, considering it’s also their home.

2 Likes

I really don’t like Aviana, even in Cata and Legion. She’s always been very unlikeable.

Any particular reason you want the only troll-related Wild God in this patch to be a secret Dreadlord?

because all trolls are Dreadlords in disguise.

That’s right. I’M ON TO YOU.

1 Like

Because of this:

If Cenarius doesn’t believe that Q’onzu has done all these bad things, then this might not be the real Q’onzu at all.

1 Like

I have read a lot of praise for the DF centaurs on the forums. Then I did the actual quests and found them incredibly bland and forgettable. The Kalimdor centaurs, despite their unflattering appearance, are at least descendants of an actual deity and have territorial ambitions. The DF centaurs lack a divine origin story and their patron deity gets captured and humiliated (which is a common theme with Warcraft Wild Gods). There’s also a lack of cool locations, like the Valley of Bones in Desolace.

2 Likes

We don’t actually know the origins of the Maruuk Centaurs. Given their connection with the Green Dragonflight, they may very well also be offspring of Cenarius, given that Ysera was Cenarius’ foster mother.

Wouldn’t that be way too obvious for a Dreadlord?

The point of hiding in plain sight is to not draw attention to yourself. Q’onzu seems like too much of an attention seeker.

Not all Dreadlords keep out of the spotlight. Balnazzar and Mal’Ganis both became leaders of the Scarlets, and Banehollow was literally sending out invitations to give a presentation at a faire. Dreadlords can manipulate a lot of people all at once when they start cult followings.

2 Likes