New Instance Limit in WoW Classic

Unsubscribing complements the current trend of implementing bad ideas.

6 Likes

They should just remove the limit entirely. We were already limited to 5 an hour. That’s how it was in vanilla, so that’s how it should be in Classic.

It’s absolutely unacceptable to have it any other way.

8 Likes

They just hotfixed it as well so it’s not as if they aren’t aware people are going for it either. Stop trying to have fun you’re exploiting the game.

It’s absolutely unacceptable to have it any other way.

While I disagree with this, it certainly cannot be a worse way in every way.

The 30 instance cap/day does nothing vs casuals. The hardcore suffer from it though and it doesn’t even stop botting in any meaningful way as they just have more accounts, bot on different realms for 6 hours each, or both.

Everyone keeps saying “it doesn’t really stop bots”, but I never hear proof. Can you provide something meaningful?

2 Likes

The limit is 30/day per server.

This takes about 6 hours when “maximizing” each instance, aka 20-21 minutes in each so you never hit the 5/hr limit.

This means 6/24 used then locked
Bot goes to another server and instance farms on the account for 6 hours, then another then another until 4 servers are locked, using the 20 min per lockout they can now start on the 1st server again. For 6 more hours, repeat.

Then they do this with 4 accounts so there can be 0 downtime per server with this rotation.

Bot1:server1
Bot2:server2
Exc.
… And as they lock out of their server they go down the list with bot 1 now on server 2 and assuming only using 4 bot accounts bot 4 is now on server 1.

An hour after this change was made we saw hundreds of “people” leveling in the starter zones.

It doesn’t take a genius to realize the botters are just using 4 times the accounts per server to still have 100% uptime and using the higher population servers.

Blizzard gets the artificially inflate their subscription numbers, claim they did something about bots, and make the game more “causal friendly” because the hardcore are now much more limited than before.

30 instances per day isn’t hard to do on a weekend day off and you have no 8+ hour of work and can game more. This makes the game harder for the “weekend warriors” who would do most of their farming on days off of work to be ready for raids.

This hurts the min maxers who try to farm BiS for fights. As an example Mara nature resist gear for AQ and if your farming the mail helmet from the rare that can eat a lot of instances trying to get it. But this change limits people ability to farm in one day.

I personally have done over 500 gnomregan for the charged gear of nature resistance. Still don’t have it. I used to do 50+ runs on my day off from work. Can’t do that any more…

12 Likes

Don’t forget if they want they can just be in the open world for the rest of the time if they don’t do the server hopping. Which is way more damaging to legitimate players who don’t farm instances and doesn’t make them any more obvious, since it’s clear blizzard was already aware of who was spending a lot of time in instances and could investigate them like they would player reports from open world bots.

5 Likes

As I said - we agree about the proper solution.
Where we differ slightly is in making this an “all or nothing” ultimatum. The problem is that is a gamble as the result can just as easily be “nothing” as “all” - you know how stubborn and stupid Blizzard can be sometimes. Their stubborn keeping of bad changes is why many of us quit retail in the first place.

If they decided to keep a limit and but change it to up the cap to 300-400/week per character or account or something, then I’d personally just shrug and say okay despite it not being the full repeal we’re both hoping for. That would at least actually combat bots while affecting next to no real players so it could even be considered a positive change.

Currently my biggest problems with their current “solution” are:

• Does not stop bots from operating 24/7 - only forces them to make 4 times the characters per account. They don’t even have to buy more accounts.
  • This does affect weekend warriors who can play heavily only a couple days week (i.e. typically raid days, and getting locked out of ZG or AQ is still possible)

By removing the “per realm exemption” you address my problem one.
By making the time frame longer and upping the limit, you address problem two.
Thus the only remaining objection is “it’s not quite like classic”, and that by itself is unfortunate, but not the hill I want to die on.

Which is why I know trying to negotiate is pointless.

It’s definitely the hill I’ll die on, so to speak. Classic is meant to be a faithful recreation of the original World of Warcraft, even according to Blizzard. It’s what we were advertised; it’s what we pay for. Anything less is unacceptable.

4 Likes

I get you, but we lost that battle before the game even came out with regards to server caps, wall jumping, the release phases, etc.
I have never claimed that I think classic is perfect (hence any change is necessarily a negative one), but I am #nochanges because I don’t trust the current blizzard to be able to identify good changes from bad - and I don’t want to be constantly begging and pleading for reversions of bad changes. When a positive change happens, I suppose I should object out of principle, but I have better things to do than complaining on a forum with my time.

1 Like

The battle may have been lost, but we can still try to mitigate how much ground we lose from having lost the battle.

Daily reminder that the instance limit is a bad idea. Just hit it by doing dungeons yesterday (no boosting, no farming, just doing dungeons from start to finish all day for exp solo) and now I can’t do dungeons all of today just because i did 30 yesterday (i have to sleep at some point) BLizzard please fix.

9 Likes

Is there anyway we can get a function in the API that allows us to check how many instances we have entered? Or when they might be reset?

Seeing as how it is tracked somewhere in the code to be able to limit the amount we can enter, it would follow that a simple querying function may be developed so that as players we can keep track of it and plan accordingly.

5 Likes

#ICantInstance

4 Likes

You guys you think you want no instance cap again, but you really don’t

Just like Classic WoW servers, wait where the hell am I! How does one company fail to make money so often?

1 Like

It’s per server, bots just want to sell gold for real money- they don’t care if they have to do it on four separate servers.

Situation before- they make 4k g a day on server 1, which then then sell for 200$.

Situation now- they make 1k g a day on server 1, the same on 2, 3, 4, and make 50$ a server, or 200$.

This literally does nothing to bots other than make them spend a one time investment of a bit of time to level those extra bots- but that’s not even any effort as they just bot to max level.

After a tiny blip of time, they can get months of farming out of them before the next ban wave, if that even catches them.

3 Likes

couldnt go to a guild zg today because blizzard decided that i had played the game too much for one day, still trying to figure out how anyone thought this was a good idea

7 Likes

But they need to level four times as many bots, right? Doesn’t that take like four times the manpower to coordinate and manage? And only one bot can run on one account at a time, so instead of one bot on one account going 24/7, they have to keep switching bots on each account every time one hits the cap, right?

I don’t know much about them, but it sounds like significantly more hoops to go through to me, which should increase the cost to the people running them, making it less profitable. I doubt this was good news to them.

3 Likes

They level through botting.