New holidays revamp missing from 10.0 announcement, news or interviews

As mentioned by Chimes during Love is in the air, they’re checking on holidays in general but nothing has been announced or mentioned, Devs have this mentallity to focus only on the current expansio ahead.

There’s not new things around the old continents, the world quest even for cosmetics are located only on the new zones , the Holidays could be a good way to send players back to all continents for new world quest, events, questlines, scenarios.

Also, could provide new gameplay to pvp with special brawls, M+ affixes, boss challenges like the mage tower…etc

So far, Blizzard hasn’t mentioned anything about this new ideas for Holidays , if we get a Beta for 10.0 and it only focus on the new expansion zones, leveling, systems that’ll be good but doesn’t address the fact that other side events in the game like holidays, darkmoon faire, trial of style…etc bring life to the game for a casual player base.

Devs really need to remove this “expansion” philosophy and add things to the whole world, already Ion confirmed this via an interview:

buffed : What’s actually happening with the rest of Azeroth? Will we see any revisions or adjustments there - after all, there’s still a big sword in the side of our World Soul.

Ion Hazzikostas : We used our artifact weapons to drain the corruption from that sword in 2018. Everything is fine. It’s just just a big splinter. But no, this is a story that really focuses on the new continent of the dragon Isles. As always, there are going to be some stories that touches stormwind or Orgrimmar or other major parts of Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor. But we’re not updating or doing significant new stuff in those old zones. It’s really about the dragon Isles.

probably only pre patch will deal with old zones and storyline as per this interview input.

It just feels like this mentallity to focus on the new zones like Legion that introduces world quest which are actually expansion quest from the point of view that doesn’t embrace the whole World and continents on this game, I wish for a fun world quest with minigames from previous expansions or fun quest that provides a rep for only cosmetics rewards, so every few days you’ll use your teleport toys, portals…etc and revisit old zones.

1 Like

I haven’t engaged with holiday content realistically since 2009 most likely.

That said, I don’t really mind. I’m not really the target audience for pet / mount / toy collecting for the sake of collecting, which is what most of these events are for. Blizzard has added new holidays like Micro-Holidays and updated the Darkmoon Faire as well. I don’t think they need to be adding holiday content for us end-game focused players as they already have gameplay holidays like Timewalking to draw us into.

The bar’s dropped so low with this game that I’m just happy to see the game itself being updated. lol

But I really do hope they circle back to making holidays feel like something special again, and not a relic from 2008.

2 Likes

They can create gameplay with replayability for your kind of gameplay and holidays at the same time, example, new pvp brawls with a mechanic for each holiday, new boss challenges like mage tower or even a M+/raid mechanic during those holidays similar to the effect that timewalking brings (TW 5 dungeons = a normal piece from current raid, maybe dungeons with a holiday twist that farming a currency or x amount of runs, a normal piece from current raid) . Besides adding new cosmetics, toys,pets…etc to the casual player base.

Hmmm. It would be a good time to revisit this actually. I never earned the achievement myself as I really don’t care for Holiday gameplay in general, but the excerpt from the reward seems quite relevant to the next expansion -

With the drums of war pounding in the distance, it is easy for the denizens of Azeroth to forget all that life has to offer.

You, on the other hand, have maintained the dignity of the good races of Azeroth with your ability to remember what we fight for. To not celebrate our victories is another form of defeat. Remember that well, reveler.

May others be inspired by your good cheer.

Alexstrasza the Life-Binder.

The idea of tying Dragonflight into a holiday revamp could be pretty cool. A new dragon-riding enabled Violet Drake could be pretty neat.

That said, I mean, I don’t want to hog all of Blizzard’s dev time, so while I think “Holiday M+” events like M+ affixes themed around Harvest Festival, Winterveil, etc could be awesome, I’m more than fine leaving holdiay content as purely casual content for newer players.