New Hero LICH CLASS!

In gameplay terms it might just be a teleportation spell back to (location) similar to what DK’s have

1 Like

Oh gosh.

Suddenly, sticking the phylactory in a tree hollow, doesn’t seem like such a good idea after all…

4 Likes

Would be epic if starting quest has us alive and go through the events of dieing and having the willpower to raise ourselves as a lich.

But what races can play this? I like the feeling of a class feeling slightly exclusive or just not available to all races. Is one reason i dont do warrior. I still hate that blood elves can be warriors, i get why but i dont like it.

That would be like going from level 1 wizard to level 21 wizard/lich.

To all of the people who think that a Necromancer would borrow too much from a Warlock, I’d like to propose a design philosophy.

Why not have Warlocks focus on summoning singular but powerful minions while Necromancers can focus on summoning weak but numerous minions?

I know this would fundamentally change the playstyle of Demonology locks, but I’d just like to remind you that you’ve lost the Doomguard. He’s Gone. The most you get is a moderately powerful demon that lasts less than half a minute on a 3-minute cooldown that you can’t make any stronger, any more durable, or anything. It just shows up and leaves, and IT is the one empowering YOU.

I think it should be the other way around. My Warlock class fantasy is going through great lengths to summon something more powerful than myself. Something that I can turn into an unstoppable killing machine.

Necromancers don’t do that. They always go for quantity over quality. Even for those rare instances when they take the abomination route and stitch together something big it’s still just going to be some mindless bumbling puppet that doesn’t really have many useful abilities.

It is not Necromancers that would steal from Warlocks, it is Warlocks that have stolen from Necromancers.

5 Likes

EDIT: The Warlocks in this game even come back from the dead! I mean come on!

Pretty sure Death related stuff wont happen in China though. They fight the Bread King in WotBK.

2 Likes

If we’re going to the Shadowlands it could just be a bunch of ghosts. Also it’s not like Death Knights aren’t just pale versions of living races anyway.

yeah that would be an excellent hero class, we NEED a caster hero class and necromancer stuff has always been highly requested

5 Likes

Man, just squishing the numbers to make it less levels before learning a new talent or ability isn’t going to actually solve anything. Because it will be still the same old process, same old content, same old everything for leveling.

1 Like

Eh I like the concept of Demo locks as is. But if the leak is true I do kind of wonder how DKs and Warlocks will change based on the Lich’s inclusion. I implied my idea earlier where the Lich is to the DK what the Priest is to the Paladin. Not a direct 1:1 comparison or anything but tackling the same themes/domain while not stealing the other’s powers.

It’s not that I’m against change it’s that I’m against dramatically changing class identity unless it’s for the better and not just for a new class to have the toys the other class had. Especially when I feel they have nailed the concept behind a class/spec identity even if they haven’t fully nailed it in execution.

1 Like

I’d be cool with a lich or necromancer class as long as dk doesn’t have their stuff stolen.

3 Likes

It’s just a shame that the “Warlock” as it has been established in the Warcraft mythos has borrowed so heavily from what have been considered to be traditional necromancer staples. Stealing souls, draining health, afflicting others, coming back from the dead, summoning hordes of minions…

They may as well just rename the Warlock to Necromancer and change the visuals. It really is that close.

Come to think of it, I think that may be why they ended up having to turn Kel’Thuzad into that… thing. Because there was just nowhere for them to go with a traditional Necromancer after what they did with the Warlock.

It’s for this reason I actually believe a Kel’Thuzad-esque Lich class is more likely than a Necromancer. It’s just going to force the same design direction that they made in Warcraft 3.

1 Like

lich caster sounds more like a dk spec

1 Like

Demonology’s “class fantasy” already ticks those boxes though.

Judging by how you describe the Tyrant though, it feels like you haven’t played Demonology in a looong time.

For one, he’s a 90 second cooldown baseline, not 3 minutes, and for another, he doesn’t empower the Warlock (outside Azerite traits like Supreme Commander which gives us Int when he dies, or Baleful Invocation which gives us 5 shards when he’s summoned), he empowers our minions, and thirdly, he’s an absolute BAMF that massively fits the Warlock theme, with the Demonic Consumption talent allowing him to consume our Imps to massively empower himself to the point where he’s more powerful than any other Demon we’ve ever been able to summon.

Demos fantasty as a summoner is in a pretty good spot right now. We have our Felguard being decently interactable with Axe Toss, Fel Storm, Soul Strike and Demonic Empowerment, we have a decent variety of Demons we can summon (mostly through things like Dreadstalkers, Inner Demons and Nether Portal at least) we have a swarm of “worthless” imps that we can sacrifice to fuel our other abilities, specifically Demonbolt, Tyrant and Impslosion all while the caster himself still feels impactful with many rotation/cooldowns serving to control/empower Demons, while dishing out damage himself.

Not to say that there couldn’t be improvements in terms of mechanics (most notably mobility), but in terms of fantasy, they’ve pretty much hit Demonology on the nail as a “summoner” type spec in terms of what it does and how the spec works.

I’m still mad that Warlocks lost metamorphosis so that DH’s could be a thing and I’d hate to see what they’d have to strip from Warlocks, DK’s and Mages just so Lich’s can be a thing.

1 Like

Yes, it has been some time now that you mention it…

Although the time that I gave it on the class trial I melted faster than butter in a frying pan in pvp

Like don’t get me wrong, I understand where you’re coming from with the class fantasy of Demo being about empowering yourself and your Felguard, but mainly yourself.

But with how Warlocks work in lore, the pinnacle of self-empowerment from a Demonologist perspective was always going to be obtaining a Demon Soul and Metamorphosis, and now that Demon Hunters are a thing, that’s not a route that Warlocks can really travel anymore without stepping on their toes thematically.

I would like to point out that in Asian countries things often have a different name than their western counterparts. It may be called something else like necromancer here.

What we really need with the upcoming throw down between the void and the light is a light based hero class.

A Paladin?

No… A SUPER Paladin.

What ever they called it, it would be more extreme than a paladin. It would have lines named:
Annihilation
Subjugation
Redemption