New Forums - not cool web people

I still use these forums mostly for Guild recruitment and if I’m bored enough to read general. These changes are pretty silly - why would you add a horde of new rules that serve only to impede communication?

Now I’m not talking about layout (which I’m not a fan, but sure). You can’t post links, even though this interface you stole from someone has a hyperlink option. Also you’re unable to ‘bump’ threads - something only really done in guild recruitment.

New tools of communication are meant to make communicating easier. Please talk with your web staff and restore prior functionality.

9 Likes

It seems to affect a very specific circumstance. The new forums are fine.

I can post links… could from day one. Here’s one to google.

4 Likes

You answered your own question.

Umm, is that a virus?

1 Like

It would be nice if they solved problems instead of making new things to later break, only to not resolve as well though.

5 Likes

Why they limit likes I have no idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, I complained about this and made a thread on the Webpage forums. I couldn’t bump my guilds recruitmenet thread on our realm forum.

1 Like

A solution for now might be to just have another guild member alternate bumping it up.

1 Like

Bumping your own thread is not communication: your post is still there, you are just making it visible again. Thing is, bumping can easily be considered spam as it does nothing (other than provide virtual visibility through ‘activity’ in the thread) for the thread itself, no new information is added.

4 Likes

Not sure how you’re posting links Snow, I get a ‘can not post links’ warning every time I try.

For instance

Edit: ok so you can only post ‘approved’ links. Imgur you can’t post, guild forums you can’t do it - anything not white flagged by them.
No on Wow Logs, Raider IO - Bet you can post WoWHead’s virus of a page though.

1 Like

Bumping is allowed, unless the rules have changed with the new forums, of 1 bump per 24 hours. So, no, it’s not spam unless done more frequent than that.

1 Like

Well to be fair, there really isn’t much of a good system provided by blizzard for guild recruiting, even the in game tool is barely functional and provided very little information needed for proper guild recruitment.

Is there a list of approved websites?

I know that at least on TL1, imgur is not approved – although that may not be a bad thing in the long run. But a list would come in handy.

As someone who has recruited the last two expansions - forums have always been a easy mode of delivery. WoW Progress works, discords work - but 75% of the time, WoW forums are the easier way in terms of cost per recruit.

So bumping - ok I can have guildies help out. This linking system, where WoWhead gets a pass (a site that without adblocker you’re computer will melt) but Wow Logs don’t, Enjin guild sites don’t, or what ever you’re using for your guild.

These restrictions are annoying to say the least. You can’t even copy paste a guild info, as it’s ‘body is to similar to what you’ve written’ - why, for bots? All they have to do is add a 1 2 3 at the start of a new post to bypass that.

Please revert, cut back on these new rules, and/or fix things. Forums are cancer enough - this isn’t helping.

2 Likes

It says in the New Forum Guide that links are generally postable and that the system will automagically™ try to parse them into hyperlinks, but only at higher trust levels. It also says you can put single “tick marks” (which I believe to mean apostrophes) around a link and it should display as text, if you’re not authorized to post links:

http://www.youtube.com

Maybe it’s just that you can only post links to the “approved” websites until higher trust levels?

EDIT: Well, apparently either I’m at a higher trust level than I thought I’d be (maybe they were gathering data from our previous forum usage to have a baseline when the new forums went live?) or the “approved website list” idea is a solid one, because even though I put apostrophes on either side of that YouTube link it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is very inhibiting to a friendly person such as myself.

Hey there a tick mark is the key just below the ESC key. The apostrophe is not the same.

Also, I discovered they changed the rules where Trust Level 1 users can post trusted links (and works in all different game forums on the new platform), I am confirming if this is intended or not.

1 Like

What is, not being able to bump threads? That seems to be most of what the fuss is about at present. Jury’s still out on links, but they seem workable and that was the only other complain that the OP had.

No, having limited likes. I plowed through my likes last night in no time.

I assume it limits the popularity contest aspect to posting but dang it, now I have to type more! :rofl:

2 Likes