New Customization Options for Blood Elves and Void Elves

I still run into the problem that I think you can’t realistically deny that each void or neutral option added isn’t taking away from the other side. I don’t think they’ll end up basically giving two race’s worth of customization to one AR that’d be required to explore each theme. And right now, I think really Blizz needs to stop any new velf customizations until the rest of the ARs are being handled, and that most of that should go into the void theme. (now, if despite how it looks that whole ‘second skin color’ wasn’t a EE modifier but a way to take one of the neutral skintones and add some form of massive void scarring, that’d be pretty awesome)

I like the idea of void elves. I mean, it’s looking wasted now, but they’re one of the chunks of why I was bummed with the horde ARs. We were looking to be dealing with light and void conflict in upcoming story and the alliance got both of the ARs that are literally infused with those energies. To steal a term from a tabletop RPG I’ve heard talked about on a forum, the Void is the void elves’ one unique thing. It’s what sets them apart from the other elves. And I want their story to be about the future of those elves, and not distracted by what they had once been.

I want to see the various racial stories strengthened. I want the Tauren to be remembered and snatch back the Earthmother from that thieving dwarf so they can take point in a story that practically screams for them to lead on. I want the factions to be treated equally, where both can have incomplete knowledge and the benefit of the doubt to create more realistic conflicts where neither side is good or evil. I want the Void elves to concentrate on the void, lean in on the themes and aesthetic that are unique to them, use them to contextualize our, or at least the alliance’s, dealings with void beings. I wish we could have seen the Blood elves carrying on the story of the high elves of quel’thelas without having to cut out and privilege certain aspects of that story because they’ve been made playable now. I want the story to get back on path, and wish it could have continued on working to evolve without some echoes of the past being crystallized into something that cannot be changed significantly.

Look, I don’t really begrudge you your request (I’ll admit some times I get frustrated with the way it may be ‘requested’ at times) I just don’t know how to convey that I worry that emphasis on high elf themes in the void elves may be detrimental both to the race, and to the story at various levels by only using additive requests.

I mean, to me I’m asking for what I want. I am asking for things that I think are important to the story/game to be preserved. But that’s not asking for something new, it’s just asking not to tear down things that currently exist. (And can we leave it at we disagree on what tearing down is, as I really don’t have the mood for another argument about how since some people don’t see somethings as a loss that they cannot be considered taken.)

4 Likes

Sigh… I tried. I really did. No one can say I didn’t. But let’s try one more time…

So lets talk about what void themed options you’d like to see added to Void Elves!

5 Likes

I keep forgetting that I’m just a negative person, and a long thought out explanation of tastes is just worthless blather to the enlightened posters.

1 Like

Those are you words not mine.

All I asked was…

what void themed options you’d like to see added to Void Elves!

3 Likes

You didnt…he was trying to explain his view and you pretty much ignored it. =\

3 Likes

Because his view is only going to lead to more arguing and I am tired of arguing. I’m trying to steer things towards more positive and construction direction by simply asking:

Why is that so hard?

3 Likes

If you were, you wouldn’t be attacking others for their tastes.

2 Likes

Void scarring would be a neat addition to the void theme.

4 Likes

I’m not. You might see it otherwise but I’m not.

I’m just asking you:

But if you want to keep this up I’m not going to bother anymore.

4 Likes

How would it be arguing? He gave a suggestion about void elves. If you had read what he said entirely, you wouldn’t be so flustered.
Conversations can have multiple points in them, and they don’t need to be contentious. It is like…someone saying why they like strawberry.

Well at least the first thing you quoted was a void themed option you’d like to see. So that’s progress at least.

And so in reference to that, I would love to see an option to “void scar” any Void Elf skin tone, not just the neutral ones but even the original Void Elf skins as well! Maybe someone heard I liked void in my void and added some void on top!

Like imagine one of the Demon Hunter skins that has the little glowing fel scars… but instead of fel it’s void!

2 Likes

Personally, I want more tentacle options, as a separate customization. One thing I don’t like about the tentacles is how random they are to hairstyle, so I’d like tentacles that more uniformly came from the nape area (kinda like draenei ones) but thicker and more, also longer

That way you can mix any hairstyle with different tentacles styles (loose, over the shoulder, ponytail, etc) and of course I want a hairstyle/tentacle option that is just pure tentacle :D! Want to draw some concepts for it, will hopefully do after work

Oh that would be sweet. Personally, I am thinking on some scarring that “cracks” the skin and reveals void underneath, and that can be used on any skin tone, just like tattoos.

2 Likes

I asked what void themed options he’d like to see added to void elves.

He wrote a wall of text explaining the direction he wants to see void elves go in with one option wedged in there. The topic of the story and overall aesthetic direction that we want Void Elves to pursue is one that he and I will not see eye to eye on.

Which is why I worded my request specifically as “what options would you like to see added to void elves” so that we could discuss things that we might share commonality with rather than butt heads over the story or which aesthetic theme should get more or less focus.

3 Likes

But…isnt that answer exactly what you want? It just comes off as simply not caring for what was said in lieu of wanting him to say something you like instead. That int how convos work out. You get what I mean? Hopefully im not confusing

1 Like

Anything both narratively and aesthetically unique, that does not already exist in the game, on another race, especially not one that belongs on the opposite faction, and shares completely different opposing themes and views, because that would be pretty boring to look at and play, a detriment to the overall health of the game and it’s integrity.

1 Like

And here we go again with the idea that sharing an option is “taking that away”. Dude, you can still use it. Be upfront and say you care about exclusivity.

Why? Why do sharing options affect the “overall health of the game and it’s integrity”

It’s just highly suspect that when it comes to the simple question “what should VE’s get” you don’t actually have any idea for it, and instead take the opportunity to say it only matters if it’s something unique no one else has.

This obsession with uniqueness is wack. You don’t even have a clear idea of what you want for VE’s and only care that’s unique. How does that even track?

If your whole desire is for races to be completely distinct from one another, you are simply not respecting the places where their lore overlaps. It’s disregarding lore for aesthetics.

7 Likes

exasperated not safe for forum exclamation.

No. That’s not what I’m talking about there (even if that’s just your opinion and not true) I was referring to void elf customization and how there is a limited amount that will be added and that each side will be competing for the dev time to fill it out. You know the whole thing where each wow customization is a series of hand designed options, therefore limited in numbers as opposed to systems where sliders adjust values allowing a vast amount of options with less work.

If two people have incompatible viewpoints on one subject, and both know that their viewpoints are incompatible on that subject, then why bring up that subject with that person when they specifically make an effort to steer discussion in the direction of where common ground may be found?

I know you’re going to reply with some reason why there’s nothing wrong with it and why I should engage with his viewpoint but the bottom line is… I don’t want to and I am not going to, because there is no common ground to be found in such a discussion between us. If he wants to have that discussion with someone else by all means, I’ll stay out of it and not reply.

I made an effort to find common ground where he and I could be on the same side. More the fool am I for the effort.

12 Likes

Is this even true tho? since pretty much anything that would be “HE customization for Void Elves” is literally an asset swap?

Like for real, skin tones and eye colors are shared with BE’s. You talk about limited dev time for options when all the HE stuff VE’s have gotten are stuff that BE’s already got lol.

Same is true for hair colors and styles ffs.

4 Likes