New Customization Options for Blood Elves and Void Elves

Man it has been a while. So far, I´m mostly dissapointed with the Belf customization options (though thank god the awful body jewerly may have been removed; it wasn´t only mostly useless -one was stuck at underwear to show it cause 95% of armor would hide it- but fugly AF too. Frankly, the models looked like a christmas tree with bead chain ornaments thrown haphazardly). The bracelets seem to be as restrictive and useless too… if this “jewerly” takes the slot of proper arcane runic tatoos or scars or anything else I´d say Belves WILL get the short end of the stick customization wise.

I´m feel the Dark ranger skintone (literally just one shade of gray people, go back and check) issue is not a good enough “compromise”; Belves already have those available with the DK so it comes as quite the mediocre option when this basically means the programmers just have to copy-paste the code for the skins the race already has implemented in one class into the the other classes and that´s it. Also, the fact this basically only fulfills the “hunter” niche as per the lore is quite dissapointing too.

Maybe I´m too picky, but I hate it when the suggestions try to narrow and cut potential content that only makes sense for some classes/aspects of the race (reason why I always despised the golden eyes, for me those basically send the wrong message Belves are some sort of freaky Lightforged creatures and this people, is a wrong interpretation of the lore -no, the Sunwell DOES NOT provide the golden eyes, the ubber devotion of the characters IS what provides it as per Word of God-). I´d like more “global” options that can be used for all classes, not just some.

In regards to the topic of Velves getting Belf haircuts and hair colors… sigh, not my cup of tea, but as long as the new haircut options stay strictly Belf oriented I think I will get over it (seriously people, let us keep at least those). In such case, I´d actually ask for at least two more new haircuts for the Belves:

As the nominated “owners of the anime hair”, I´d like to see for the male Belves a Death Note´s L Lawliet esque haircut AND an Itachi´s ponytail esque haircut. For the girls, I´d love the same haircut Saya Otonashi sported after the 33 episode of the Blood+ anime, and Hanato Kobato´s very fanciful outrageously long hair (fem Belves lack a proper long haired haircut, the boys have them beaten in this department).

As usual, I´d like my scars and runic tatoos (heck, devs should give some love to the Grand Magister and update his model with actual proper arcane-esque magical runic tatoos that don´t look like a weird shirt). Let the tatoos options get a big color palette to properly reflect all the schools of magic independent from the eye color -I mean a pally can use arcane torrent and last time I saw that´s no “light based” spell…-. Heck, if the idea of overlaping with “High Elves” is too much, let the Belf tatoos use the same artistic choices used for the Nightborne; just make them more visible, more “bright”.

Honestly, I’d be happy if they just shared a few Human hairstyles and colors with Void Elves rather than share any hairstyles or colors that are uniquely Blood Elves.

3 Likes

As some poeple have pointed out, Humans and Draenei already have those options so… a little late to complain over overlaping haircuts.

And if this helps to shut up most of the Helfers so they get their happy stuff, the better. The last thing I´d want is to keep this argument going so the most extreme portion of that playerbase start asking for stuff I´d actually HATE to lose, like characters or territory (yeah, I still remember the first iterations of the Helfer megathread, and it wasn´t a nice one in regards to the Belves -yup, back then I saw people asking for all our classes + more classes, asking for our racial, asking for our NPCs, asking for our capitol and so on… if the cosmetic stuff and one class is enough to kill this dead horse well… time to make sacrifices-).

2 Likes

I don’t think this is the right attitude to be having.

5 Likes

I’ve said this before, but depending on what they give Void Elves besides the skin colors (as in hairstyle and hair color options that don’t necessarily have to be from Blood Elves), I think the Alliance High Elf movement will lose the bulk of its steam.

Sure, there’s going to be a few inevitable hold outs looking for paladins this, race tag change that, but they aren’t going to have the same big support that the High Elf movement has had in the past I think.

Many of us (myself being one of them) find the offered compromise acceptable, especially if a few NPC dialogues in Telogrus mention why the Alliance High Elves and Blood Elf defectors are joining the Ren’dorei (needs more reason that just “power”), and just how they are being inducted and gaining their powers (something as simple as "Alleria and Locus Walker are teaching them and drawing void creatures from Telogrus to empower them).

6 Likes

Why? You want to mantain another decade of inane forum qq and hostility?

Cause sorry to burst your bubble, but there are some -fortunately a very small- VERY hardcore individuals in the Helfer community that would only stop at basically getting the whole of the Belves into the Alliance (most of the recent individuals are sensible enough to want their own stuff independent from the Belf stuff, but the most hardcore… nope, they still want to take the literal race and make it Alliance).

And I kinda like playing in the Horde so… no. You guys can get ALL the customization and narratives you want as long as those doen´t negatively impact my gameplay as a happy and proud Horde Belf player.

2 Likes

According to Ion on twitter.

I’m referring to the tone of your statement not the context behind it. It’s a rather rude and unpleasant tone to be taking regarding a group of players being happy.

4 Likes

Man, the pally outrage thing is quite ridiculous if you ask me. Lorewise, the Blood Knights are a glorified strike force in Quel´thalas and actually are quite irrelevant politically wise. The real political power is held by the Farstriders (thanks to Lor´themar and Halduron) and the Magisters. Worse of all, the Blood Knights got neutered post Sunwell Plateau and frankly have been represented as long eared humans since then so… why complain over something that´s not even exclusive in it´s execution?

So no, “losing” the paladin class when the current iteration of the class lorewise speaking is anything but representative of the innovative approach they were sold as in TBC is not an issue imho. Heck, maybe if the devs give paladins to the Velves / Helves they will deem to give back the more pragmatic outlook Belves used to have.

The “light harping” BS devs have put for Liadrin gets so much on my nerves I was frankly happy when she got removed as potential love interest for Lor´themar. Blood Knights perceiving the light as another magical source to use (a tool, nothing more and nothing less) gives them once again an actual niche in the story and the game. Right now they´re hypocritical long eared humans.

/rollseye

Cause they refer to us “antis” in the most caring and kind ways, amrite?

No, the way I see it if they have respectfully and conciously made their petitions and suggestions, then they probably are aware they weren´t “crying” (ergo, they shouldn´t feel offended). If they made their petitions with less noble intentions / less aware of the impact those had on the other players and regardless of how harmless those were well… I´ll call things for their name.

As I mentioned in the post, in the long years as a forum dweller I´ve seen everything. I´ve seen sensible Helfers asking for sensible stuff and I´ve seen crying Helfers demanding to get their WC2 stuff or else. So, the comment -and the intention ofc- goes more about neutralizing the harmful selfish second group of posters.

I can live without High Elf Paladins. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t enjoy having them, but that’s not a hill I’m willing to die on.

Being able to look like a High Elf, and even better if we get a few human hairstyles since we’re often reminded that the High Elves have been “intermingling” with humans and diluting their bloodlines, is enough to give us “High Elves” in my mind.

Icing on the cake would be the aforementioned bits of NPC dialogue in Telogrus just so there’s canon in-game references that basically say “Some High Elves and Blood Elves are indeed joining the Ren’dorei and this is how they are getting their powers”. I don’t need that per se, but I’d be a bit disappointed if we didn’t get it, and ecstatic if we did.

18 Likes

I would have liked a few extra classes than what void elves have. That and how the lore might be handled are some of my hang ups with this solution.

2 Likes

Druids made sense the most with a “Helfer” skin. Shamans I´m not sure (it´s a more Horde oriented stuff; frankly If any thalassians should pick Shaman that would be the Belves, after all they have the most interaction with several sects of shamanism and have been integrating to the Horde for more than a decade).

However, Belves have more than enough playable classes, so imho no druids nor shamans for Belves.

The only classes left for Void Elves to get are:

• Demon Hunter - Unlikely just by their nature, but I wouldn’t say impossible. Though it probably wouldn’t happen until the devs put the Illidari in the spotlight again and have them start recruiting in earnest.
  • Paladin - Highly unlikely due to the nature of how the Light and Void interact. It would require either an ignoring of in game lore, or a creation of new lore and perhaps void themed visuals for Void Elf paladins if they were to be a thing.
  • Druid - Highly unlikely. The Ren’dorei aren’t really nature oriented and Blizzard seems reluctant to add Druid class access to races since it requires custom shapeshift forms.
  • Shaman - Highly unlikely. The Ren’dorei aren’t really elemental oriented either.

Demon Hunter has probably the best shot of those four. So barring any new classes added to the game, it’s unlikely to see any new classes added to Void Elves any time soon.

2 Likes

Seems fair. Personally the opposite case (Helves “going back” to Quel´thalas) is what I don´t see viable (and not because of the Helves, but because of the Belves. Why should the Belves entertain people that were so indolent as to ignore the plight of their race for 2 decades and actively supported their enemies in some of the conflicts that impacted Quel´thalas during that lapse of time?)

I rather blue eyed Belves get explained as arcane finally overriding fel, period.

3 Likes

That’s why I’d still prefer them as their own race, or for blizz to work out a sub race system. That way they could have shaman and or druid and pally.

2 Likes

Doesn´t void negatively impacts the whole “I ate a demon and have to control it/myself 24/7” stuff the DH had going for themselves? People with an extra nasty voice whispering murderous stuff doesn´t seem the most appropiate candidates to take in such huge burden.

And in regards to pally, I present you Calia Menethil (now, that was one lore aberration trhat devs happily implemented regardless of how it destroyed the Forsaken narrative), so… believe me, they can perfectly well give you guys your “pally” class.

After light undead, anything is possible.

I agree with you that High Elves returning to Quel’thalas is less plausible than the Sunwell simply cleansing the fel taint so their eyes are returning to blue, but there’s no reason to say that even a few High Elves who might be neutral and not allied with the Alliance, wouldn’t wish to return to Quel’thalas and rejoin their kin either. Blizzard is purposefully leaving a lot of wiggle room for people’s personal RP which I appreciate.

I just would like some in-game references about those High Elf and Blood Elf NPC’s in Telogrus and some exposition on the process that new Ren’dorei are acquiring their powers.

1 Like

Dude, there is no coherent explanation regarding why people would wait for 2 decades to return to their homeland, especially after the kingdom is strained once again thanks to the cartoonish evul ex-Warchief and actually still under risk of attack.

Any individual that lives happily and peacefully on a neutral territory would have to be a massive moron to want to rejoin the Belves post BfA just because.

1 Like

Players can come up with all sorts of headcanon to explain things they want to happen. Blizzard is just not stopping them from doing so. But as I said I agree with you. It doesn’t really seem plausible to me and the simplest explanation for Blood Elves getting blue eyes (the Sunwell cleansing the fel taint) is supported by past dev interviews.

2 Likes

I mean it would open up the idea of Forsaken Blood Elves, the Dark Ranger aesthetic yes, but anyone having been risen by Sylvanas, (or Arthas I suppose? I’m just going off recent events and my preferred angle of story but yeah) and that is a very popular with a lot of BE players. The red eyes too.

2 Likes