New covenant? Valarjar

I believe Odyn is comin in hot and surprising way in the next raid tier. Eye of the Jailer is Odyn’s eye. And when Odyn gets his eye back, Eyir and Odyn help us against Sylvanas.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I do not believe Sylvanas dies next patch…she will be saved by Jailer the same way Azshara was “saved” by N’zoth.

2 Likes

Putting aside I’m pretty sure Sylvanas is going the way of Illidan and is going to turn against the Jailer (I really hope it’s not for Anduin’s sake but it’s looking like it) - I think it would be really weird if the Valajar were a covenant.

For one, even though the Halls of Valor is kind of a deafacto afterlife for those Odyn seems worthy, it’s not actually a part of the Shadowlands.

For another thing, it was pretty strictly Warrior HQ only in Legion - I can’t see it being welcoming to any other classes (maybe Hunters? Possibly Mages?)

Although points in favor, the Valajar are the only Order Hall other than Death Knights that make a lot of use of Rune magic - which seems to be a big deal in the Shadowlands.

For the reason I guess I could see Odyn and his forces showing up but I don’t think they will be a covenant option anymore than the Ebon Blade is.

8 Likes

Odyn is a scumbag whose actions have directly influenced the current problems
(trading his eye to Mueh’zala and banishing Helya for no reason), and the Valarjar are just a crappy off brand version of the Kyrian. The ONLY reason I’d ever want to see Odyn show up is to beat the crap out of the fiery bastard.

No, the Valarjar won’t be a new Covenant. There are four, and the expac was built around there only being four. Throwing in more later would offset the balance entirely.

22 Likes

Odyn is denying souls to go to SL with his valkyr…therefore his entire army would fit with Shadowlands. His army idea is based soley on Kyrians…yet Kyrians are not warlike. They are simply bringing souls to Shadowlands.

Helya was convinced by Loken, a Yogg-Saron puppet, to turn against Odyn by sealing him and his army in Halls of Valor.

Helya is an idiot. Can’t seem to understand she is a useful idiot for Old Gods and the Jailer…

Shadowlands is broken…there is no balance atm. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

He’s talking about before all that when Odyn forcefully transformed Helya into the first Val’kyr when she disagreed with him. As his adopted daughter and this was a huge betrayal of her trust to put it lightly.

Odyn shattered her physical form, twisted her spirit into the first and ordered her to begin ferrying vrykul souls from the Shadowlands as well as transform other unwilling vrykul into Val’kyr. Odyn would later lie to his followers that Helya’s transformation had been due to her own arrogance: he claimed that during their argument, she had reached out for the power of the Shadowlands and subsequently gotten sucked into the realm, destroying her body and transforming her into a twisted wraith before he managed to pull her out and that she had subsequently apologized and begged him to make her a Val’kyr.

17 Likes

I think you just have a good argument why his entire army wouldn’t fit with the Shadowlands. The Halls of Valor are not in the Shadowlands - he is specifically denying Warriors their rightful place in the afterlife to instead serve in his army of reforged Valajar.

Odyn is concerned with defending Azeroth, not the Shadowlands, and the forces that we have aligned ourselves with might be actively hostile against him for keeping so many powerful warriors (who could have helped defend the Shadowlands) for himself.

I’m more certain than ever that they will not be a covenant option.

1 Like

Oh Odyn will come back in a big way that’s for sure.

But who I’m really hoping comes back as part of the Odyn storyline is Tyr. It’s basically the reason Odyn traded his eye in the first place, was because he didn’t think Tyr’s idea of the Dragon Aspects being enough to stop all the threats to Azeroth. Tyr would also connect to the Ashbringer plot they have brewing with Alexandros and Kel’thuzad. He would also be a good addition to the Uther finds redemption plot, Y’sera in Ardenweald too. I’d be surprised if Tyr isn’t revealed this expansion.

Yeah, Odyn’s one thing but Tyr is a next level twist.

6 Likes

Odyn is the titan keeper of wisdom, right? I guess if they would have listned to Odyn when the keepers wanted to empower the Dragon aspects, Cataclysm would never happen.

Might be someone we want to listen to… :man_shrugging:

hmm…please elaborate. :slight_smile:

the Path of Ascension has my Kyrian training like a Roman gladiator for what purpose then?

Self-defense? They are going into new and strange worlds to ferry souls to the Shadowlands. Never know what will happen. Just b/c you know Jiu jitsu, doesn’t mean you are looking for trouble. right?

Yeah “wisdom” …he makes a lot of poor choices though… There is wisdom in listening to counsel of others instead of trying to do everything yourself.

Still if you are a huge Odyn fan I don’t want to argue with you about it. I think he’s pretty terrible personally.

5 Likes

Greek, god damnit!

He’s on the same level as Arthas.

What he did to Helya is exactly the same as what Arthas did to Sylvanas.

I hope that parallel comes up in Chains of Domination.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, a good comparison.

I would like for Odyn to see some consequences for his actions.

4 Likes

So Tyr was originally supposed to appear as a corrupted Titan in the Ulduar raid. Implying that he was one of the original Titans corrupted by Yogg-Saron but then they abandoned that plot. Shortly after they commissioned Knaak to write Dawn of the Aspects, which is a novel that takes place either before or after Cataclysm where Tyr is heavily hinted to be still alive and he shows up in the present appearing as a female Taunka hunter to mislead Jaina and then he appears as a mysterious Hooded figure to Kalec in the Nexus.

The story was centered around the Spark of Tyr, a mysterious artifact with the power to hold memories and revisit memories. This lead Kalec to revisit the proto dragons defeating Galakrond and the creation of the aspects, which was an event that we know Yogg-Saron heavily influenced. This Spark of Tyr could potentially be used as a plot device to see the ‘truth’ about moments that the Titans potentially lied about, as well as the truth about Tyr’s fight with Odyn over the creation of the Valkyr.

Tyr was initially supposed to appear as part of the Ashbringer Legion artifact quest where he would empower the blade, but that story was changed to facilitate a story where the Dreadlords try to steal Tirion’s soul. The Light itervenes and takes back Tirion’s soul and we haven’t seen it yet in the Shadowlands. It’s very possible that it was actually Tyr who appeared to Paladins at Uther’s tomb pretending to be Uther to lead the Paladins to recovering Ashbringer but that’s entirely my own speculation based on the fact that Uther’s soul was in the Maw with the Foresworn at the time and couldn’t possibly appear to the paladins in Legion as a guide.

If they were waiting for the ‘right time’ to reveal Tyr as a Titan that still has powerful influence in this story, they most likely are going to do it in an expansion that deals with the Lich King and Ashbringer and Shadowlands is that expansion.

Again, two stories to the same event…

Why are we believing the villain?

“Odyn would later lie to his followers that Helya’s transformation had been due to her own arrogance: he claimed that during their argument, she had reached out for the power of the Shadowlands and subsequently gotten sucked into the realm, destroying her body and transforming her into a twisted wraith before he managed to pull her out and that she had subsequently apologized and begged him to make her a Val’kyr.” Wowpedia source

Why do you believe Jailer is a bad guy? No one backs up the big bad guy, Jovaal, that he was betrayed by the other Eternal Ones.

“Over millennia, Helya claimed as many souls of slain vrykul as she could, further swelling the ranks of the Kvaldir. She eventually began to go after the living as well, sending her Kvaldir to kill anyone about to learn the truth about the conflict between her and Odyn.” wowpedia

Why would Helya want to kill anyone who was about to learn the truth of their argument? Wouldn’t she want to sow disorder and chaos among the Valarjar if Odyn was a bad dude?

Seems very fishy.

3 Likes

Because the villian, in this case is Helya, and her interpretation of the events is Odyn asked her to become a Val’kyr and she said no so he then turned to the Shadowlands and traded his eye for a way to subjugate her into doing that role for him, not unlike how the Mawsworn are made. When he turned Helya against her will, her scream could be heard even in the Shadowlands. This is straight out of Chronicle volumer one, in case you want a source for this. Even the Titans confirm Helya’s account is accurate.

She was the victim in that situation.

The subjugation of Helya was the turning point for Tyr and that’s when him and Odyn had a falling out. It also didn’t help that Loken (corrupted by Yogg-Saron) took that opportunity to turn Helya against Odyn and ask her to lock the Halls of Valor in a pocket dimension. He should have stayed locked up in the pocket dimension. For all we know he could be in Ulduar right now getting corrupted by Yogg-Saron since that’s where he went after Legion.

3 Likes

When he turned Helya against her will, her scream could be heard even in the Shadowlands.

Whelp that’s creepy as heck.

1 Like

"Over millennia, Helya claimed as many souls of slain vrykul as she could, further swelling the ranks of the Kvaldir. She eventually began to go after the living as well, sending her Kvaldir to kill anyone about to learn the truth about the conflict between her and Odyn. "
Why would a victim want to protect their assailant?

1 Like

Probably because if they knew Odyn was alive they would go looking for him would be my guess. We did let him out and it was proven that he could leave in the guise of Havi that he wasn’t as trapped to that plane indefinitely as she probably imagined he would be.

1 Like