New community council has Story/Lore section

Wait, what? Where?

Looks like Iā€™m getting a vacation soon. I told someone ā€œI love to know you suppory racism.ā€ because they defended Asmongoldā€™s comments about the Amazon LOTR show. Coincidentally, the diversity in that show was the subject of discussion for about a hundred posts here.

Guess Iā€™ll be a miserable weirdo by myself for a few days.

2 Likes

I hate this place, truly, but itā€™s all I have.

2 Likes

No, I didnā€™t get banned or reported for linking Maizouā€™s post. Was that against the rules? I was originally not going to quote them, but I did it due to pressure.

How should I do it in the future?

2 Likes

I want to point out that you donā€™t have to belong to a particular race to support supremacy of it. I was a part of the Xbox Grand Theft Auto online community for a long time, which has player groups that adhere to a variety of themes but a popular one is the mafia type. There was a leader of one in particular, Don Gio, who posted often on social media, heā€™s from NYC and claimed to be Italian along with his real name being Giovanni, and was somewhat controversial due to his eccentricities and community rule breaking. He ended up joining the Proud Boys and got notoriety IRL when a group of them walked around New York and went to bars to see how people would react to them wearing MAGA hats, which resulted in a skater punk smashing a beer bottle over his head and stabbing him in the face with it. This incident was reported in mainstream outlets, resulting in people learning that his real name is actually something Hispanic and that heā€™s not brown skinned because of ā€œGTLā€ as he liked to claim but because heā€™s actually Puerto Rican, and he tried to use this incident to sue people for hate crimes.

This guy liked to record himself going around New York City to see what reactions heā€™d get from doing provocative behavior. Sometime after the beer bottle incident was out of the news, he was recorded doing something really extreme. He was found walking around Central Park carrying a big NSDAP flag and doing roman salutes. When all of this is taken into account, it very much seems to be that heā€™s someone who wishes to be white. To the point that heā€™s taken open allegiance with the most reviled group in history.

3 Likes

Iā€™m just annoyed that white people tend to all get lumped together as if weā€™re some hive mind and that our history and stories get dismissed as being just Generic White European Stories as if each country isnā€™t unique and beautiful with their own rich culture.

But thatā€™s me. Just felt like throwing that out there

5 Likes

Given how on Azeroth, naga and satyr used to be elves, and elves used to be trolls, while humans, dwarves and gnomes used to be golems/robots, and all of this happened over the course of only around 25,000* years or so there honestly may not BE an in-universe explanation for skin tone variety beyond ā€˜they just magically developed with multiple colorsā€™.

*approximately one quarter of the time it took for RL humans to leave Africa and diversify as they covered 5 of the other 6 continents. And Azerothian humans are limited to one single continent, the Eastern Kingdoms.

Night Elves are Night Elves, with a weird mix of random RL bits dumped together. The only East Asian elements are some architecture and foodstuffs.

2 Likes

There are people who like to say that the Night Elves have a sort of mix between Japanese, Korean, and Greek in some respects.

I meanā€¦ maybe in the buildings and open spaces and columns? But I donā€™t see it in the people or their culture.

Some folks who see the kaldorei as a stand in for the Japanese used that talking point to bemoan the Burning of Teldrassil - that it was treating the ā€œJapanese basedā€ race to a Hiroshima/Nagasaki level event.

I donā€™t see that comparisonā€¦ but others did.

Itā€™s cringe marvel stuff.

Because itā€™d be infinitely more interesting to blend real cultures like the Mali and Nubians with Aztec if thatā€™s the vibe they wanted to go for.

I read that post, but my and Alynsa already disagree on Zekhan being illiterate. I donā€™t have a problem with it, but I also think most commoner NPCs should be illiterate in this world. I did agree that it was kinda weird and dumb for Lorā€™themar to be teaching him to become literate.

So even if it conjures some negative stereotypes about indigenous and afro-carribean people being illiterate and stupid, I think thereā€™s a bigger problem with Trolls being cannibals in that regard.

That was the original art design.

ā€œThe night elves have a somewhat Nordic and Japanese archicture,ā€ says Metzen.

https://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_257.pdf

The most obvious of which being the torii gates:

Though it feels like Blizzard hasnā€™t done much with the design idea since.

8 Likes

If you really, really, reaaaally need some kind of explanation for skin color for your Human and Human-like species in WoW you could say something along the lines of this, for example:

Dwarves originate from Earthen, Earthen are made of different types of stone. When the Dwarves awakened to flesh their various skin tones reflected what type of rock their Earthen ancestors were made from. Bing bang boom.

Completely not needed and irrelevant to the actual important lore about Dwarves but if it satisfies your obsession with skin color in fantasy that has other sentient species of peoples entirely. Like Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, Ogres, etcā€¦

1 Like

Heā€™s just making the point that the person (you) that actually called the CC members out didnā€™t get in trouble or even reported versus Baal who not only had their (completely innocent) post flagged but was suspended while others involved in the entire mess werenā€™t.

I tend to avoid posting direct links to posts to avoid things like this (the person in question getting pinged) but Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s an actual rule against it. I still tend to just post the threads instead of specific posts. Do whatever you feel more comfortable with.

3 Likes

While it looks pretty and cool, having torii gates does not make them Japanese anymore than them eating Kimchi makes them Korean. Itā€™s just a random East Asian element thrown in for flavor. I really donā€™t think that they had a strong idea for what Nelf culture really should be early on, thus random disparate elements to see how they ā€˜feltā€™. Itā€™s a little lazy but I dunno if itā€™s BAD.

1 Like

True, I donā€™t think the Japanese worship the moon. I think Warcraft is basically a bunch of themes and stereotypes Metzen thought was ā€œcoolā€ at the time. From Samurai to Superman references.

1 Like

If anything, the mana bombing of the Cenarion Thicket outpost in Outland would be akin to that RL event. As the mana bomb is WoWā€™s version of the nuke.

Man can someone give me a TLDR about what happened here

Run away, little Vulpera. Run free. Dance and play among the sandy dunes of your home. Let your innocence remain unshattered, unstained. Do not step into this vast and ruined wasteland.

2 Likes

Vulpera need a home.

2 Likes

Mā€¦ Swearing about racism, minority representation, sexism, Baalsamael?