New community council has Story/Lore section

Why would wanting LGBTQ+ peoples who have experience and understanding of seeing LGBTQ+ stories chosen as council members where they can relay feedback on stories / lore pertaining to LGBTQ+ stories and characters be “specific and silly”

I hope more people of minorities are chosen and people who stand with other minorities at that.

1 Like

That’s a bit more understandable.

He comes off as yet another nerd with prejudice issues.

Yes. Exactly.

You might be able to force the forums to update by logging out and back in, and switching to a different character and back. Maybe not in that order.

1 Like

I think I am using skin tone 11? I’m pretty sure thats what it is and its not quite right as far as how I wanted to look / most like me.

BEs have 14 skin tones, 10 are shades of white basically when I view them.

I need something darker than what’s skin tone 10 but maybe lighter than 11 and so on and so forth because they lack nuance / undertones I would expect to see.

Their original comments on SL customizations were that they were ongoing, and with BEs getting a lackluster pass as is I would have expected at least the diversity range to be expanded on in SL lifetime.

1 Like

Oh, he so really and absolutely does.

I have been doing this, all of this, and it’s still saying to me “nope, you shall be Basic White Fantasy Girl Alynsa forever because you are not satisfied with your transmog, and therefore no one shall see Basic Caramel Girl Alynsa!!”

2 Likes

I’m not just an LGBT person.

I’m an LGBT person, I’m also a role player, with some moderate lore knowledge, wrote a popular roleplay guide (that I didn’t repost when we switched over to the discourse forum system), run a queer guild, and got both AotC and KSM this tier. I’m also a frequent beta tester, and helped blizzard reproduce a major privacy violating bug when they couldn’t before word got out and everyone doxxed each other.

But I guess I’m specific and silly.

This is enraging. I’m so sorry.

2 Likes

because those things wont make the game better in anyway shape or form

Thats the thing, if I had just advocated for an LGBTQ+ person to be selected with no further context I feel like I woulda been attacked

But going into detail past that is too specific and silly??

I think its important for minority representation and qualified minority representation at that

It sounds like you’re not happy about them being in the game to begin with.

But this is the story forum about new CC members

Has story / lore section in the thread title as well.

So why would wanting LGBTQ+ people giving feedback on story and lore be an issue unless the issue is the fact LGBTQ+ stories are being told

2 Likes

I’ve also worked in the game industry a bit over a decade ago, am deep into a software engineering degree and understand generally how software development works, and works in the game industry. I’m also a formally trained 3d artist with a background in maya as well as substance and photoshop (the software used to make games and movies). This makes me uniquely qualified to comment on art as well. Especially as I’ve literally used WMV to open up the models in photoshop and study their construction.

3 Likes

yes i am aware of where i am at

1 Like

Not quite. Game and story cultures are not one to one representations of various groups. For a game I prefer that the player be given as much agency over their character’s backstory as they wish. For you, you can come up with as in depth a background explaining the appearance as you want. But I feel someone else should have the options to come up with their own background that fits the story they want their character to represent, and that might contradict details you’d find important, or just to not worry about the why of the appearance, but spend all their background thinking on where they are from and what their personality is and not be concerned about their appearance interacting with their story.

Also, I feel some of these issues don’t matter depending on the story. Shakespeare’s stories have been told and retold in countless fashions, and it doesn’t matter, The point of Hamlet is not that Elsinore is in Denmark, and not say a Canadian beer company, but the interpersonal drama of the characters. You can cast who you want, or turn it into talking bears, the story still works because it’s not the Danishness that matters it’s the whole sordid mess that ends up with everyone dead.

Although, with something like Othello, the story revolves around a difference. The identity of Othello is a part of the plot, it can be changed to some degree, but there is a theme of in group vs out group at play that is at the heart of the story. In that case you need to be concerned about it.

There’s fantasy that revolves around cultural backgrounds. What ifs that place a real world culture into a different position and are about what that would look like. That’s one thing and I hope to see much more of that as things move on as they are fresher sources for new to me stories than the usual fantasy tropes that we’re all used to. But alternatively, there’s fantasy that’s about a new world with other people in it that are not entirely like us. Phyical appearance doesn’t need to have any significance to the story, but it is a nice touch for all people to have the option to see similar features (or in movies/tv to have a chance to work in it) and if it doesn’t touch the plot, does it need to be explored in depth?

1 Like

So you don’t believe the story improves or matters to the game is what you’re getting at?

Or its just LGBTQ+ stories being told you have issue with?

You’re invested in the story or aren’t you? Or you are and the story you have issue with is the one you’re saying you don’t want in “your” (ignoring the mislabeling / classification of) game?

LGBTQ+ stories have a place at the story table, and both wanting to look for minorities / qualified people within those minorities should be a desire from Blizzard with this council.

I’d pay money to see Hamlet with people in bear fursuits.

2 Likes

why dose it always come down to people talking about bear fursuits

4 Likes

LGBTQ+ stories bro

Being from a RP realm I would have thought you’ve interacted and valued people who have a vested interest in LGBTQ+ stories? But I guess not and that’s odd to me.

I do not think you are tho.

2 Likes

Furries are rad.

3 Likes

So, it’s early in the morning and I missed another interesting conversation, but I just want to add, that as a white person, blizz often takes a lot of inspiration from Irish culture, whether it’s Celtic pagan myths and stories or actual lands from Ireland and they still manage to get it wrong.

These people don’t even respect European myths and stories, and some y’all want them to write a backstory for POC elves? You really have that much faith in them? :eyes:

I sure as hell don’t.

4 Likes

I just woke up a little while ago, what an exhausting thread to catch up on.

3 Likes