New community council has Story/Lore section

You keep reducing this to just black people. I have told you half a dozen times now that ALL PEOPLE need to be justified by world building.
ALL OF THEM.
If in your fantasy people look different from each other or have different cultures, fighting styles, speech patterns… an author should explain why that is. Is this genuinely confusing to you?

3 Likes

And yet, you’re only demanding explanations for people of color.

You also have yet to provide any sort of justification why white elves exist.

3 Likes

I have not.
I have told you several times now that ALL people need the explanation.
We seem to have the “white” people ALREADY. IE they got it presented. its there.
Now that we have the “black” people as YOU refer to them they need an explanation AS WELL.

They both have to be treated. EQUALLY.
understand?

1 Like

So, what you’re saying is that because white elves were already there, due to a mistake on blizzard’s part of not adding more diversity out the gate, they don’t need an explanation, but black elves do?

3 Likes

No, the Noldor are described as fair as well as some individual elves. With one type of elf being noted as fair skinned, it’s actually not much of a stretch to guess that that means other elves may not be.

I can’t argue your personal feelings, but for me it’s irrelevant, and a bit of a problem as when making up a new background for a different color it feels like there’s a need to separate those members of the race from the other ones. Has tolkien ever had a skin color be a cause of conflict (separate from the issue of the way the dark skinned humans were on the wrong side of the conflict) Does it deserve more story space to back that up than it would take to back up hair or eye color? What’s the pay off for the story for spending that time?

World building is also a balance, you cannot create the complete accurate history and evolutionary/supernatural origin of life and it’s progress to the state is in at the point of time of the story for any world, so you must choose what is important to concentrate on and leave spaces to fill in where appropriate.

1 Like

My question under what authority Blizzzard is obligated to provide an explanation for every skin color, eye color, hair color, etc for the sake of wOrLd BuIlDinG still hasn’t been answered.

Was this a contract? Was it legally binding? Can you link me a copy?

3 Likes

Because Blizzard chose to make all high elves as white that was their explanation. Now that they are adding variety there needs to be world building to explain.

For the love god I ask you to just try to read the following in good faith. Ok?
So Night Elves are purple.
Did any one question it? Nope. Why purple? why not green? Night Elves are purple and thats that.
High Elves were treated the same way.

Now we have the nightborn. Who are deep blue. With changed features.
Why do they exist? Where did they come from? Well… Blizzard bothered to explain what happened to the night elves of suramar and how they ended up being different compared to the other Night Elves.

Where does it say anywhere that they are obligated to use world building to explain? Under whose authority? Was this a contract? Was it legally binding? Can you link me a copy?

1 Like

I like how Quel’thalas in eternal spring / summer I forget which, with Sun themes and the Sunwell, and the conclusion they came to was that people who aren’t white wouldn’t be there?

And blizzard correcting that mistake is an issue for them because they decided it makes more sense that non white people in this setting don’t make sense as is.

2 Likes

None.
There is no legal authority that obligates them besides “Why is this elf dark skinned and this one fair skinned?” How did this differentiation and variety happen? Is it a curse? a blessing? some sort of skin condition or is it a different ethnicity of elfkind?

So far we have no info.
We just have to headcanon how this happens.

Uhm

What?

To be clear this is the world building you find good and not at all offensive

2 Likes

Why? Because Blizzard didn’t think to originally add those diversity options back in the 80s when they designed Warcraft, because there were a bunch of cisgender heterosexual white nerds in charge that didn’t think about diversity because that wasn’t so much in the forefront as it is now back in the late 90s when they were developing wow.

In case you missed it, Blizzard has had a lot of problems, and they’ve chosen to correct them.

Ergo, this is a retcon, they’re correcting a mistake in their fantasy that was influenced by the real life culture issue of white-normative society.

Ergo, no info is necessary. Genetic diversity exists. Period. Full stop. That’s it.

It’s problematic to take issue with this change because it is correcting the influence of white-normative society, and really doesn’t have anything to do with world building.

5 Likes

But does that matter at all?

Is there any point in the story where that ties into the plot, any sort of mention of skin color or drama caused by it? Not everything needs to be explained just because, especially when the features are not being used as any sort of story hook.

Has ANYONE given a night elf grief for their skin color? Is there some sort of hierarchy of skin color in any race of the game?

To take your example of the Nightborne, their difference is due to their story. They were isolated magically for a long time and mutated by the nightwell, like how the night elves changed from trolls. But even then their appearance is probably more a variety of models thing and any drama between them and the night elves is centered more on their shared history and past grudges than anything to do with their appearance.

2 Likes

I also asked if its a blessing or a different ethnicity.
If I am going to make a dark skinned elf (which I have 3 of and I desperately wish I could make a dark skinned Light Forged Draenei) I still wan’t to know the lore reasons for how it can happen.
I like creating back stories for my characters. I don’t RP but I like this aspect of the game and its hard to do with so much vague answers and so many unknowns.

I don’t understand why a race war is necessary to make this type of world building necessary. Some Night Elves have different skin tones… idk the more blue you are the more afinity you have with magic. Make something up.

No… I mean this could be a story element but its not necessary.

Yeah thats my point there is a distinct variety between NBs and NEs… since that is so there should be a lore reason to explain it. And Blizzard provided that reason.
I don’t understand why having more of this but on a smaller level so controversial. This isn’t even a unique thing to expect its pretty much the norm.

Non white people can exist.

It’s literally that simple. Moving on.

2 Likes

Genetic diversity exists. No further explanation is necessary.

Did you know that my character is written as someone covered in freckles. Does that trigger you? Do I need to write a book as to why my character has freckles?

4 Likes

i like keeping the game as it was created as much as possible anyways i don’t even like the new character models and wish we could go back to the old ones

You sound like you’re fun at parties.

In the words of Garrosh Hellscream, “Times change.”

5 Likes

It clear you are not reading a single thing I am saying and you are just interested in fighting.

No it does not.

Are you switching to real world laws of genetics? Or are we still using fantasy laws of physics that the writer makes and introduces in the story?

1 Like

well im aloud to have my opinion.