New community council has Story/Lore section

Yes indeed it is a fantasy world and yes the laws of nature don’t exactly apply 100% of the time. However this should not be used as an excuse to hand wave things into existence without proper world building.

That’s why you have authors like Brandon Sanderson who creates worlds with strict magic systems and world building for the different people and nations that occupy his world.
And you have authors like Terry goodkind who uses magic as a convenient easy explanation to solve a problem or move the plot.

Why can the main character do this? Who cares its fantasy. don’t worry about it.
I don’t much care for those stories. Its a clear disdain for the genre and to be fair Terry Goodkind was notorious in trying to disassociate himself from other fantasy authors even though his books ended up in the fantasy shelves.

I never said all elves are white or should be white.

Answer my question.

Says who?

1 Like

not that i’m even against it but its not even in the relm of embarrassment if some one has that opinion

What question? In your entire post not a single sentence has a question mark.

You are just making statements here.

You don’t think someone should be embarrassed for requiring a justification for the existence of black people, but not requiring one for white people beyond “they are white”?

5 Likes

Okay so vicarious embarrassment is a form of cringe. In this case, it should be pretty clear as to why I’m cringing at his belief that people of color need an explanation to exist in a fantasy setting. That has origins in prejudice and white-normative society.

It’s frankly absurd to demand that the narrative in any sort of media suddenly does a dead stop and explains in depth that the brown elves are different, others, from a different place in some long-winded five paragraph essay format.

5 Likes

gestures above

2 Likes

Correction. All people inserted in fantasy need an explanation.
This is not limited to POCs.

Why is this limited to a person saying this?
Its just how fantasy stories are made… you need world building if you are making a fictional story.

Then why isn’t there a justification for white elves?

And I’m still waiting for an answer to my question. The one I asked twice.

1 Like

There is. Its what we have now.
I made a few examples of other stories doing this better than Tolkien and when introducing their elves they added that diversity from the getgo with their world building.

And I have answered it.

You still haven’t answered my other question.

And frankly you didn’t really answer this stance either. I demand lore justification for cisgender heterosexual white people in the game I play. NOW NOW NOW!

5 Likes

Heterosexual relationships don’t need lore justifications just as gay relationships don’t need justification.
But it will be interesting to write a society in a fantasy setting and their stances towards relationships between different genders, social classes and even races (fantasy or otherwise).

Anyways since you seem to be genuinely not familiar with what world building is let me link you an article so you can read up on it.
I get the impression you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying.
https://screencraft.org/blog/the-craft-and-rules-of-worldbuilding-in-science-fiction-fantasy/#:~:text=Worldbuilding%20is%20often%20defined%20as,Sometimes%20those%20worlds%20are%20fictional.

We both know exactly what you’re saying, the difference is, I realize it’s problematic.

You still haven’t answered my question.

And you still haven’t delivered the scientific explanation for white elves existing in world of warcraft.

3 Likes

Again, as there are more elves than just the Noldor, where is the worldbuilding that all the elves in Tolkien’s work are white? And what makes that one feature important to the world building? Is there anything that would be broken if there was a wider range of elf skin tones than is assumed? What features require extra world building? Do we need an origin story if elves have a non-standard eye or hair color? If it doesn’t play a big role in the story is the non-inclusion of information on skin color important, or just something that can be filled in later as it’s just description and not important to the plot?

3 Likes

You just accused Zan of all people of not knowing world building?

And like Tarrok pointed out it’s kinda you who doesn’t have a good grasp on it / very bland

1 Like

I have answered your question and I know what I am saying.
You are just projecting what you think you want me to say.

What are these arguments you are making? There is no scientific explanation requirement why high elves should be white. Blizzard decided to present all their elves as white until a few years ago and then they added more color variety. Honestly we could have used some lore explanations for the different color tones… like idk more exposure to the sunwell.

Honestly Blizzard could have made high elves dark skinned from the get go and if they added white elves later they have to do the world building to explain their presence. Otherise they would just be there… why are there different shades and differences? Welp… who knows! it just is.
Imo thats kinda boring and lazy.

I’ve been writing fantasy probably longer than you’ve been alive. I’ve designed entire worlds, including world maps, documentations for city-states, religions, etc. The longest RP campaign in a homebrew setting I designed and developed from scratch, whose world encyclopedia was over 200 pages in MS Word, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font, lasted 8 years, with several hour long sessions for those years. I designed over a hundred unique recurring NPCs for that setting

Sit down.

3 Likes

All the elves we have seen so far in LOTR are described and shown as white.
If all the white ones are from Noldor then the show runners should tell us where the other elves are from. Nothing wrong with that. It makes the story more complex and interesting to me.
Or are these from Noldor too? If so why do they look different? What happened? did they believe in different gods? Live in different zones? eat different foods? What?

You have not explained under whose authority black people in fantasy MUST BE JUSTIFIED WITH WORLD BUILDING.

I’m glad we have come to an agreement that black people need no explanation to exist in fantasy.

5 Likes

THIS PART!

2 Likes