New Book gets lore wrong? Blood Elves weren't addicted to fel

Amazon UK posted several preview pages from Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, an upcoming book by Christie Golden. There is one page up that states that “In the end, with their addiction to first arcane magic and then fel energy, and the horrors brought to their doorstep and beyond by Arthas Menethil and the Scourge, the blood elves demonstrated great courage, determination, and strength.”

The blood elves were NOT addicted to fel energy.

It’s a common misconception that Blood Elves were addicted to or consumed fel magic. The lore said that they turned to sucking the mana out of creatures NOT out of demons. Their green eyes were because they used fel energy to power enchantments and changed due to a sort of background radiation.

According to the Warcraft Encyclopedia, Illidan taught the blood elves in outland to use demonic energy to sate their addiction. Eventually, Kael’thas felblood elves sucked fel energy (and demon blood) and become demonic as a result. After returning from Outland Rommath only showed Blood Elves in Silvermoon how to tap into mana crystals and the mana from creatures, like the mana wyrms.

The blood elves of Silvermoon never tapped into demonic energies to sate their mana addiction. They did use fel magic (the burning crystals) to power their enchantments which turned their eyes green (according to a dev post on the old story forums).

63 Likes

I expect a lot of ret-conning in the coming years to justify a lot of incoming cosmetic changes, and perhaps future changes to certain races or kingdoms and ideologies from development.

It is what it is. Broken Lore and loopholes and loose ends are part of Warcraft.

23 Likes

Lore on the forums is all head canon anyway.

5 Likes

I don’t think even Blizzard cares about their lore anymore. They just retcon with reckless abandon.

51 Likes

Pretty sure all elves have white eyes naturally. All but female Kal’dorei and the Shal’dorei wear colored contact lenses.

3 Likes

It’s told from Shaw’s viewpoint so it’d make sense if he’s making assumptions.

17 Likes

That is what addicts would say

34 Likes

Doesn’t it seem like he would know this though? The differences between the Silvermoon Blood Elves and Kael’thas’ Blood Elves is part of the reason the Draenei partnered up with the Silvermoon Blood Elves to reclaim the Sunwell.

This new book also seems to imply that it was anger at bigotry from the Alliance that caused them to rename themselves “Blood Elves.” The story before was always that they renamed themselves Blood Elves to honor their fallen kin after the scourge invasion and destruction of the Sunwell.

Seems like a weird thing for Shaw to get wrong, if this is supposed to be from his perspective.

17 Likes

Doesn’t silvermoon have little fel hookah things? Am I crazy? I don’t know, I don’t play Horde much.

6 Likes

Wrong, the lore matters when the fandom decides it should. Other wise it’s non existent.

Is your name a fleetwood Mac reference?

1 Like

Na, Blizzard makes and changes the lore at will. I mean it doesn’t even make any sense anymore.

5 Likes

Aha i see you’re a fellow follower of the lore matters when i decide it should.

1 Like

Uhh, yeah, they were buddy.

Those big green crystals with eyes floating in Silvermoon aren’t there for decoration, they’re captive demons that the Blood Elves used to sate their magic addiction.

They’re now gone (in lore at least) since the Sunwell has been restored and they’re no longer necessary, but they were very much addicted to fel.

33 Likes

I guess we are both followers of Blizzard.

Well… that’s presumptuous

Not really, since you have to have an active account to post.

2 Likes

Do people like the OP just mentally block out Burning Crusade?

One of the first quests you did as a Blood Elf in BC was siphoning magic from a Fel Crystal to sustain yourself.

They changed the quests when the Sunwell was reignited.

Yes, blood elves fed on fel magic. Just because they no longer do doesn’t mean they didn’t.

25 Likes

That’s a common misconception. Multiple sources state the crystals were used to power the city, not to sate magical addiction. The WoW Encyclopedia, devs from the story forum, and the Burning Crusade Making of Behind the scene video all state this.

In the story that was a big difference between Kaelthas and the Silvermoon and part of why Kaelthas was declared a traitor.

20 Likes

Ahh dang, well… WE LIKE BLIZZARD WE LIKE BLIZZARD POG chat!!!

1 Like

As someone who only resubbed a few days ago to try out my new computer, I can tell you you can post for around 3 months without an active account.

The blue posters said it’s meant to be some leeway.