New BIG changes for hunter

what do you use to move? Out of curiosity.

A and D to strafe. Mouse to move.

If there are actions that require additional keybinds for no additional control or leverageable use cases compared to a design that would not consume those keybinds… that’s bloat.

Doesn’t matter whether Hunter as a whole has a lot of bloat; an instance of bloat is still an instance of bloat.

Though I could understand why one would thematically prefer Black Arrow as a separate DoT and therefore not see it as bloat. Although it doesn’t really offer unique use cases, exactly, it did offer differing cognitive load and thematic value.

Another anecdote for the key-layout discussion:

I replaced my Caps Lock with Right Alt.
Base: 1234QERTYGHCVB
Shift: 1234QERTYGHCVB
Right Alt: 1234QERT
Ctrl: ASDFZXCV
Left Alt: ASDFGZXCVB

Also have 4 top buttons and 6 side buttons on the mouse, again with mod keys available. I don’t think I’ll be running out of real estate any time soon even if I wanted to mod target, focus, or arena1/2/3 my CCs, etc.

Some new changes today for the PTR 11.0.5

Seems the nerf to basilisk collar will be a slight single target nerf if I’m not mistaken? But overall an AOE buff since it’ll buff kill cleave. The multishot damage buff is…interesting…

The nerf to Basilisk Collar is a significant DPS loss in ST and a moderate to minor nerf in AoE but it is overall a big win for the spec because it now uncouples ST and AoE for tuning reasons.

The buff to Multi-Shot, while it looks huge is actually inconsequential due to its low damage coefficient. The change to Withering Fire is still good, but loses some of its value do to the nerf of BC. The Bleak Powder change is a moderate damage increase for AoE as well as the Shadow Surge buff especially for those stacking a lot of haste. The big buff however is the 20% to Kill Command amplified by the 10% buff to Kill Cleave we just received as well as Phantom Pain’s buff to 8%.

The change to Serpentine Rhythm and Serpentine Blessing is a more of a QoL change for ST, and the Training Expert change to a 1 point talent is ok, but I don’t know if it will be sufficient to overtake AMoC in terms of damage (it will be close).

Overall I think these changes are a big net positive for the casual player looking to do mid range keys and not feel like an anchor. For more competitive minded players looking to push higher key levels this likely wont be enough to displace MM or SV (really dependent on the Dark Ranger proc rates)

I would love trick shots baseline…but the strady shot change is enough to keep me happy

I wonder if these changes will make BM more suitable option for Mythic+ again?

Definitely should (pending tuning) but looks very promising

This iteration looks a lot more promising the the initial one, but there is a lot of ground to make up. If you look at logs of BM hunters like Diegoshotz in Ara Kara, you will see he was a little over 300m behind in total damage compared to a DH and Warrior. A 20% buff to Kill Command/Kill Cleave nets him about 50-55M more direct damage. That leaves about 250M that has to be made up by Bleak Powder, Phantom Pain, and Shadow Surge, Black Arrow, Withering Fire etc. Not insurmountable but you also have to figure in the loss of Basilisk Collar damage. In a MDT dungeon sim, Basilisk Collar contributes about 18% overall damage. In a dungeons slice it’s like 20%. So nerfing that talent by 60% gets you an overall BC contribution of 7-8%. [Yes I know this is not realistic because no one would run a tree sim with 2 dead points. It is just illustrative that BC is a significant damage contributor overall in a dungeon and we will lose some of that in the patch].

And Snozola, notice also that while Diegoshotz did 1.21B he was not that far above the DK tank at 965M and there were a fair number of trash pulls where the tank was above the hunter on damage done. Oh and before you say he has terrible Mythic parses so he must be bad, he is the #3 BM hunter on the leaderboards so he ain’t that bad.

So the TLDR here: Woödsy is 100% correct.

2 Likes

Excellent tldr would read again xD

There’s more to the changes for AoE than just Kill Command, they adjusted Hunter’s Prey to make Kill Shot (and therefore new Black Arrow) hit an additional mob for 10% more damage per stack for each additional pet we have up to 5.

In theory Dark Ranger could spread Bleak Powder, Shadow Surge, and Banshee’s Mark procs to potential 5 target and with changes to Dark Hound also giving Dire Beast summons a 25% chance to summon one it wouldn’t be unheard of to have the 5 stacks more often than not

I actually mentioned the other changes more than once and some of them do look interesting. Specifically though, when you measure the impact of the changes to things like Training Expert and Hunter’s Prey you have to offset their potential gains with the loss of nodes/talents that we lose to move points around. You want TE you lose AMoC or you want HP you lose Venom’s Bite. Not to say its not going to be a net positive it is just going to be tempered.

the multishot change is meaningless, instead of buffing miniscule dmg by 300% reduce the cost by 50% so we can get in more KCs during the window or how about adding a bleed to it instead. It hits like a wet noodle and we only cast it to get beast cleave. The actual dmg is redundant.
Ideally they should decouple our aoe from MS totally. Pets should should have cleave and leave it at that.

Lmao, it always funny to me when they tweak stuff by those big numbers.

And this will still consume TWO nodes? two nodes will give LESS than one node used to do, isn’t that rly impactful? will people still pick it?

Hopefully not unless you’re actively pathing to take Bloodshed / Venomous Bite.