New 1440 monitor

Alright parents gave me some money for my birthday and I was going to use it for bills but my wife refuses to give it back to me because I never buy myself anything. So looking at 1440 monitors, 27, 32, flat, curved? Suggestions please!

Do you want 144Hz?
FreeSync or Gysnc?
What kind of response time are you looking for?
Do you want a QHD, QLED, IPS, LED, TN?

Are you sure you’re in the market for a 1440p monitor? Most people find their hardware can’t achieve the FPS they’re looking for after 1080p. As strange is this is going to sound, Dell offers a very well rounded line of monitors. No neon lights, no sharp edges, nothing that’s going to look embarrassing to guests.

1 Like

Those are all damn fine questions which is why I asked :slight_smile:

Yes 144Hz
FreeSync
and not really sure on the last two.

TBH I’m not totally sure I am looking for a 1440p or not. My 1080 is pretty dang old ( Acer H233H 23" ) so we were looking to replace it being I have gotten my new system. Currently running a AMD 5600x CPU and an AMD 5700xt GPU.

Wasn’t really sure which way to go as it seems like 1440p is going to be more and more the norm and didn’t want to waste money on a 1080 and then in a couple of years feel like I flushed that money down the drain when I could have just went and gotten a 1440.

I don’t want to spend a crap ton of money on if that helps. $400 and under atm.

I feel like I want a curved as its easier on the eyes apparently and I do have a rather strong prescription already, but I’m not sold on that either.

5700XT will drive WoW at 1440p fine, but not always at 144fps unless you turn settings down. But it can work.

In many other games the 5700XT will still run decent FPS at 1440p, and you can usually get it to 60fps in high settings in most games.

Even in the newest titles, like Cyberpunk 2077 or Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the 5700XT will perform very well at 1440p.

Just keep in mind attaining 144fps isn’t going to necessarily be achievable with that graphics card without making some settings changes. And the 5600x is quite strong, so you’ll have room to grow once you upgrade your graphics card in the future.

I don’t personally like curved displays, but if you like them, there’s a lot of options.

Check this out for reviews:

https://www.displayninja.com/best-1440p-monitors/

2 Likes

Any particular reason why you don’t care much for curved displays?

And I can handle having a bit lower fps, I was playing this thing on a Phenom ll until two weeks ago lol.

unless you are going to be sitting a solid distance from the monitor I would go with a 27" monitor for 1440p. I have two 27" monitors

my gaming one is a the LG 27GL83A from the display ninja link above (also well rated by rtings) and it’s a quality monitor. Slightly pricey but I can’t complain. I also have the Dell - SE2717H and like Hammerator I am also a fan of their lines. The Dell is 1080p 75hz but playing WoW I often have a hard time telling the difference between the two monitors. The Dell has an excellent review on toms hardware. FPS games are a different story as the LG can hit 144hz.

It really just depends on what type of games you prefer. If you’re playing competitive FPS or battleground type games at all, a 1440p monitor will be a disadvantage. Competitive players tend to stick to 1080p and under. If you solely play MMORPG type games, 1440p+ will be your wheelhouse.

In this price range, personally I would be looking for a 27" 1080p monitor, capable of 144hz, with a low response time. It’s also going to be worth your while to check into the differences between QLED, QHD, and TN monitors.

TN screens are typically regarded as bottom of the barrel in terms of picture quality. The screen itself will be a matte, and vibrance/colors suffer because of it. It will be difficult to find a 1440p monitor under the $400 range that’s not a TN, but it probably can be done.

Yeah my current Acer 1080 is 75hz as well.

I’m not opposed to going 1080p again, just didn’t want to spend the money and then in 2 years be kicking myself for doing so.

Also things like FPS games will never be on my radar, I am an MMO guy through and through, so if I ever did stop playing WoW I would just move to another.

I’ve just been out of the loop for a while hardware wise. This is also a wacky time in computers with everything going on so I’d rather ask a stupid question rather than being stuck with something I don’t need.

I have 4 displays and with curves it eventually becomes a circle which doesn’t work because then desks just don’t come that way, and you can’t get out of your desk.

If that’s the case, something like this may be in your wheelhouse. But stick around, see what others have to link… I’m sure someone can find a better deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XZ272-Pbmiiphx-Technology-DisplayHDR/dp/B08G8DFT1V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=1080%2Bcurved%2B27%22%2BQHD&qid=1612452008&s=electronics&sr=1-2&th=1
1 Like

Yeah I could see that being an issue lol. I’ll just be running the one monitor, not even sure my desk is big enough for 2 even if I wanted lol.

1 Like

Yeah that’s another thing I don’t want to get into. I’d rather buy a great 1080p than have a bad 1440 if it comes down too it. I’m not a big fan of the matte finish on the screens so price may end up dictating what I go with.

Just wanted to add, I found the monitor much cheaper on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/black-red-acer-nitro-xz272u-pbmiiphx-um-hx2aa-p06-27/p/N82E16824011363?Description=Acer%20Nitro%20XZ270U&cm_re=Acer_Nitro%20XZ270U-_-24-011-363-_-Product&quicklink=true
1 Like

I actually don’t mind TN myself if it’s a decent panel, much preferred over most VA in the same price range.

I have my desk set up with 2 computers, my work laptop and my desktop. Left two displays are hooked up to the laptop, with the second display also hooked up to my desktop toggled when working/not working.

Left to right:

24" Acer K242HYL (Cheap 1080p 60hz VA) - Work
24" Lenovo L24Q-30 (Cheap 1440p 75hz IPS, Freesync) - Work (1080p) / Personal/browsing/video(1440p)
24" AOC AGON AG241QX (1440p 144hz TN, 1ms, 8-bit, Freesync/Gsync, 30-144hz VRR range) Gaming
24" Lenovo L24Q-30 (Cheap 1440p 75hz IPS, Freesync) - Personal/browsing/video (1440p)

EDIT: If I didn’t have to have 2 displays for work, I’d drop down to 2 quality 1440p displays, possibly curved ultrawide. Or maybe one ultrawide for gaming, then the other standard ultrawide so the gaming display can be centered without the second curved display being off and the other for multipurpose use/display.

1 Like

I’m similar to you as I’m more a RPG guy (WoW, Skyrim, Witcher) than a fast paced shooter guy. Last time I was in microcenter (about a week) ago they had piles of 1080p 144hz monitors everywhere from Dell, Asus, Acer, etc., Those are the monitors that are moving now obviously. I know more about monitor manufacturing that I do monitor quality but when I was looking for one I was told by someone who follows the industry (an opinion I respect) to get the LG 27GL83A-B as it’s the best one under $400.

1 Like

So what’s the difference between QLD, QLED, and TN monitors? I’m assuming QLED is something similar to the TV’s in technology?

plenty of IPS panel 27" 1440p monitors under $400 including the LG i mentioned. My other Dell is also IPS and under $200

IPS? Lord learning a ton of new acronyms this morning rofl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BM0P7J1EPM

OLED isn’t in there, but it’s probably out of your price range anyway

1 Like

Yea I noticed it’s actually not so hard once you don’t need Gsync, ended up posting an example.