New 1440 monitor

A lot of Freesync displays will also support Gsync. They avoided the old Nvidia Gsync tax. So keep an eye out for that.

If you want more flexible displays that are GPU agnostic, a Freesync/Gsync compatible display might be the way to go.

1 Like

Currently use a 32 inch 1440p monitor, itā€™s perfection at the screen size to pixel ratio

Itā€™s an older model but thereā€™s better ones than what I have currently

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-32-inch-displays/11528087/document/c05269646/

1 Like

The ninja monitor site Sal linked above is an excellent resource to learn about monitors. rtings is another good review site as well.

2 Likes

Sorry I forgot to link a 32 inch monitor

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-32-ips-led-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-hdr-hdmi-displayport-black/6437574.p?skuId=6437574

Lg brand, 32 inches, 1440p, ips, 75hz, freesync, canā€™t go wrong with this

thanks to Nvidia, they need their g-sync licensing fee. My LG has it but like Sals said many Freesynce & Adaptive Sync monitors also work with Nvidia cards and I must say I think they are all great, my WoW FPS can literally change by 100FPS (torghast Iā€™m at 144fps and parts of Ardenweald I see 45fps) yet I see no stutter.

1 Like

I have a hard time gaming sub 90fps anymore :frowning:

At least sitting at a desk. TV gaming even 60hz is fine, but up close Iā€™ve become kind of a snob.

This was even when I was still using the 5700xt.

You must consider that heā€™s using a 5700xt

If he had like a 6800xt or rtx 3080, by all means get a 144hz

You must have missed the part where I explained the 5700XT played WoW fine at 1440p and even managed well over 100fps with the right settings.

You can get over 75fps in 1440p on a 5700xt if you want to.

144fps is just a limit. It doesnā€™t mean you have to be there all the time. But can a 5700XT do 80-100fps in most games at 1440p? Yeah, it can.

1 Like

Must have missed that sorry, thought he had a 3600x and 5700xt

Yeah then heā€™s fine with a 144hz, apparently me with a 2700x still doesnā€™t help

1 Like

The 5700XT has its limits, but given he has the 5600X, Iā€™d look forward to a GPU upgrade at some point that would be able to take better advantage of a 144hz display.

Like CP2077/ACValhalla, yeah a 75hz display makes sense but Resident Evil 8 Iā€™m sure over 100fps is going to be easy peasy

Yeah itā€™s really something I want to future proof as much as possible. Iā€™ll probably be looking for something that can handle both card types just because who knows what the future holds.

Iā€™ve always been partial to ATI but itā€™s not a requirement. Besides Iā€™d like something that if it canā€™t handle it I can give to my wife. Her new one will have a 3060ti in it so I know it will handle it.

Do you know if youā€™re sensitive to high refresh displays?

Itā€™s often a personal perspective issue - not everyone perceives higher framerate as well (or perceives it as positive).

Some people like motion blur and lower framerate for cinematic appearance and dislike higher framerate due to the ā€œsoap operaā€ effect.

Itā€™s more obvious in video vs. games but if you donā€™t really like high framerates then I suppose thereā€™s no point in paying for it.

Actually have no idea tbh. In general I like crisp clean looks though if that helps.

Both AMD and Nvidia have image sharpening technologies at the driver level that improve sharpness (crisp clean looks). Otherwise, resolution will do more for you than framerate will in that metric.

Have you considered going with an ultrawide? I was in the same boat as you, never mess with shooters, mostly just play WOW, and wanted to upgrade my old 1080p monitor.

I purchased the Gigabyte G34WQC. Sells for $400 at Bestbuy and Newegg (not sure who else carries them). Hard to get as they sell out quick when they get some in stock. It has a resolution of 3440x1440, 144 hz , 1ms response time and FreeSync. Also GSync compatible which mattered to me since Iā€™m running a 3070. Oh yea, it is a curved monitor. I love mine, the colors are amazing. It was such a big upgrade.

Good ratings, you have to read through them, most of the ones that are not 5 star are because the speakers are weak, lol. Who cares, I know I havenā€™t used my monitor speakers in years. Anyway might be something to take a look at. Good luck with your upgrade!

1 Like

Iā€™ll echo recommendations to not exceed 27" for 2560x1440. Too much larger than that at normal desk sitting distance and your pixels will start resembling lego bricks in size and youā€™ll start to see a ā€œscreen doorā€ effect due to larger gaps between pixels.

On panel type, I strongly prefer IPS since color (both accuracy and vibrance) are my priorities more than refresh rate or response times since I donā€™t play anything where the extra frames or ghosting prevention would make an impact. Because of this the displays Iā€™ve purchased up until now have been 60hz IPS.

2 Likes

I would pick these for 1440p

G-Sync compatible / Freesync:
ViewSonic Elite XG270Q
LG 27GL850

G-Sync:
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
ViewSonic Elite XG270QG

G-Sync Ultimate:
Alienware AW2721D

TN panels are trash for me.

3 Likes

Keep them coming, I have seen several of these in reviews which is why I like this space, kinds of backs that up.

Iā€™ll do some more in depth reading and checking on whatā€™s been posted. Half the fun of buying new stuff for me is the research.

2 Likes

If I was buying today at your price point, this is what Iā€™d get. I had an older version of the same monitor and it was great. The panel is 1440p at 165Hz, Freesync/Gsync compatible, and IPS. You can get it direct from Dell for like $465 but might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. The only reason I got rid of it as a main display was because I wanted to move to a 3440x1440 curved gaming monitor.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2721dgf-27-inch-165-hz-gaming-monitor

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-axeh/monitors-monitor-accessories

1 Like

Iā€™m a fan of Asus swift monitors personally for gaming, I got one still kicking from 2017 and supports G-SYNC. 27" and 1ms response time (so it says) and 165hz refresh rate. Hasnā€™t failed me yet. In full screen I get way over 200+ fps

Itā€™s makes gaming smooth as butters