Netherwings

I suppose this could be an unpopular opinion, but I really wish we could see the netherwings again. The story behind those dragons was just so cool. I’d love to see what they are up to now.

20 Likes

Tools of the black dragonflight. Answered in TBC.

Would definitely be nice to see them. Draenor and Outland both had a lot of amazing worldbuilding, but because of how distinctly isolated as planets they are compared to the other expansions, the flow of culture and ideas is insanely limited. Mag’har were lucky to have Garrosh be so relevant, and even then the ones we ended up getting had to have their entire planet actively cut off in order to force them into relevance on Azeroth.

6 Likes

It’s been a long while since I did the grind, but I believe the players redeemed them and set them free, right? That’s what I remember anyway. So, it’s been years. What are they doing now? Where did they go? Are they flourishing?

3 Likes

I just remember seeing a broodmother onyxia-looking black dragon saying that they were to be used by that Flight

I always felt like it was a huge missed opportunity that the Netherwing didn’t show up during Cata to help clean house on Deathwing.

10 Likes

For an ‘accord’, the Wyrmrest dragons sure were limited in the dragons they let in, weren’t they? Especially nowadays with the knowledge of Storm dragons, clearly sentient and reasonable dragons with their own charge (hah) to fulfill.

15 Likes

I see what you did there and it was adorable :gift_heart:

3 Likes

I would love to see some Netherwing stuff. Their story did not seem over. It seemed like there was ample room for them to make an appearance and be expanded upon.

It would be neat if they traveled through the twisting nether, and learned stuff. Maybe some of their important Characters take on Humanoid forms. And they generally join us in our adventures like the other Dragons. I guess I have the mount, so I can kinda pretend to have one with me.

They could have evolved into all sorts of stuff and learned all sorts of things. Or they could just be chillin until we bug them for help. What ever the reason, I would like to see them involved.

BC is hands down my favorite expac. So I think fondly on alot of the stuff from that era.

Well, you were either made by the titans, or you weren’t.

Or they had a indirect hand in said races creation. I’m sure some races/creatures accidently came about due to the titans tinkering with the Life Magic/Spirit of a planet.

Or, like a lot of dragonkin, they’re just elementals in the shape of dragons.

That’s true. But how much of that is natural and not a byproduct of Titan tinkering around with things? Do we know they would’ve formed naturally on their own?

I wish I could say I was shocked that they never bothered to give a backstory to the storm dragons, but I’m really not.

As to the OP I’d also be down to see the Netherwing again. I agree with Portergauge that Draenor and Outland have some of the best worldbuilding in the game. By far my favorite parts of the setting.

Or possibly the Netherwing Dragons were dependent upon Outland’s proximity to the Twisting Nether.

1 Like

That would be Lady Sinestra aka Sintharia, prime consort of Deathwing and mother of Onyxia and Nefarian. She shows up to negotiate a deal with the Dragonmaw orcs, who at that point are working for Illidan. If you complete the Netherwing rep grind you’ve done a lot to help the Netherwing break free of the Dragonmaw, which is why they are willing to carry you wherever you wish. In theory they should have been free to seek their own fate after our efforts against the Dragonmaw and Illidan.

10 Likes

Well technically they were - They were ordinary original Dragonflight eggs, that soaked in Nether-energies and were changed by the peculiar twisting nether and thus became a new form of race (Without being corrupted).

It’s kind of the reason to why the Twilight Cult used them to siphon energies out and pour them in along with the void into other dragons to create the Twilight Dragonflight - So they’d have the power from the Nether energies, but in an attempt to corrupt them with the void & whispers too.

1 Like

Sure, but, that just makes them mutant Black Dragons. It’s not like the Accord is gonna go “Okay Black Dragons, we’re gonna make a brand new seat in the Accord for that mutant group of yours from Outland. Also, we thought we’d give seats to Nozdormu’s future mutants, Deathwing’s various lab experiments, and those air elementals that look like us.”

I don’t see how being mutated black dragons would prevent a Netherwing Dragonflight from joining the Accord.

In fact one would assume after the Hour of Twilight that they’d gladly welcome the minor flights in. I mean, when the Nexus War began they let me Blackflight in and those guys instantly rejoined Daddy when he broke the world lol.

I also always figured the minor flights would reveal the way to solve the whole sterile problem by just pointing out the obvious: maybe it’s time just stopped being divided into flights and just start making eggs outside their color lol. Red + Red = no eggs but Red + Bronze = egg and that whole thing.

Because the Black Dragonflight is already in the Accord. If they have business with the Accord, they can just bring it up with their local Black rep.