Netherportal - Demo

Heard a few ideas for changes to the Netherportal Talent and recently dropped them on a Kalamazi vid. Wanted to drop them here and see if anyone else wants to toss their 2 cents in or add some suggestions.

First off what is it and what does (courtesy of wowhead)

Nether Portal

Talent

1 Soul Shard 40 yd range

2.5 sec cast 3 min cooldown

Requires Warlock (Demonology)

Requires level 50

Tear open a portal to the Twisting Nether for 15 sec. Every time you spend Soul Shards, you will also command demons from the Nether to come out and fight for you.

A list of possible summons from NP courtesy of wowhead and comments.

Possible Changes I have heard have been separate or a combination of the below.

1. Extend the duration to something more usable → 30 or 45 sec / what have you

2. Lower the CD to be more in line with Demonic Tyrant’s baseline 1.5 minute CD → 1.5 or 2 minutes

3. Number of NP demons spawned based on the number of shards spent per cast (3 shards → 3 random demons)

4. NP demon pool quality based on quality of spender
    Hand of Guldan → low quality NP demons
    Dreadstalkers → med quality NP demons
    Vilefiend → med quality NP demons
    Grimoire Felguard → high quality NP demons

I personally favor idea #3

4 Likes

I like it, alternatively I also like the idea that talenting into nether portal makes it a Tyrant thing, where summoning the Tyrant causes the portal to appear and start working.

Then again, I like Tyrant as a pet, so wouldn’t work in that case. Though if it was a pet, Nether Portal should become the ‘main’ CD.

1 Like

That sounds intresting, if Tyrant was made into a main pet NP would need to fill in the same damage profile Tyrant did. I would think Tyrant would be the single target pet and Felguard would become the AoE / Tank pet for Demo. Similar to Legions Infernal and Doom Guard.

Over all with that change, NP would need a longer duration or jut a shorter CD to go along or some sort of synergy talent.

2 Likes

If they keep Nether Portal, what they really have to do is if you select that talent, when summoning Tyrant it also creates a Nether Portal… make it summon Demons on per Soul Shard spent, so a normal HoG will summon 3 demons…

This way it be easier to fit into our normal rotation.

Also still like to see Grimoire: Felguard down to a 1.5 min CD.

1 Like

You and Sauce have a good idea there to make NP part of Tyrant’s summon. That would definitely make it easier to use especially how you would cut out NPs cast time and 2 GCDs just to get the daemons rolling.

1 Like

Right now Nether Portal either needs to be reworked completely or removed with a useful talent choice… hopefully Blizzcon sheds some light for us.

3 Likes

I hope it’s not removed, I really really like Nether Portal. Just, when you’re trying to do Heroic raiding it’s simply not the right call. I want it to be at least on par, but it is what it is right now.

4 Likes

It has to then baked into Tyrant, most content right now won’t allow a further ramp set up for our dps.

definitely wouldn’t be used in M+, PvP… the only situation where we will have the time to cast it and get set up I could see is in certain fights in Raid.

Our problem is ramp, and all content now, ramp is what’s holding us back from being great.

1 Like

I agree. We need an option that does damage right away.

Demonic Consumption : ramp up option
Sacrificed Souls: Middle of the ground (ramp up + burst then constant)
Nether Portal: Burst

Imo Nether Portal should summon a bunch of demons right away to fight for us. The CD should be reduced to 2-2.5min instead of 3min

4 Likes

I say keep it 3min tbh so it stays nestled with what most of our cooldown cycle is. Just make it burst or at least less restrictive movementwise.

2 Likes

I like the ideas. I think someone said something about making tyrant a pet and possibly having nether portal as a main cool down ability. Only issue with that is the cc we lose from fel guard, that may be a selfish thing of me to say since I just pvp and some of you may be speaking from a pve perspective but just my two cents.

2 Likes

No, axe toss is crucial in PvE especially M+ as a stun and interrupt, tyrant will need something equivalent.

Maybe instead of axe toss, if you have a tyrant you get “Demonic Gaze” Tyrants gaze is so intense it stuns/interrupts with a 30 sec CD like axe toss.

1 Like

What could happen if they moved tyrant to pet is add felguards as a multiple resource with a recharge timer. If you put hand on say a 15second cd with 2 charges, but imps like 30 sec and hand summons 5 imps, that would open up alot of room. Get rid of implosion, or modify it to not kill your imps. Then you have 3 charges felguard, 2 charges hand, then puppies with chance of instant cast/reset cd, pet management would be much more even and spread out. Then make portal baseline and take the place of tyrant. Have it proc at ever 1/3 shard to bump up its dmg so its a cd-level talent. Give it a 2 min cd so it matches with trinkets.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know, well I’m glad to see axe toss is valuable in multiple settings besides pvp.

Wait so you want felguard to be a timed pet with charges?

Yep. Make it part of your rotation.

The perspective of the spec is to embrace a “captains” role to the spec, rather than a front liner.

I guess I see your point in regards to the whole captain and frontlines thing. But it would be awkward put him on a 3 charged ability.

1 Like

It wouldn’t if the Tyrant is our permanent pet.

1 Like

I was thinking if Tyrant was a pet it would have the interrupt that the Doom Guard did in legion (basicly felhunter) and the Felguard could keep axe toss as just a stun.
That would open up Nether Portal to be what Tyrant is now for our big CD.

Work in a mixture of ideas from above:

• reload Soul Shards
  • summons X number of demons per soul shards spent
  • able to cast and move while active
3 Likes

Honestly, if tyrant were to become a true pet, this is one the few ideas that works with demo as it exists today.
It would shuffle a few things like NP being baseline and 1.5min to replace old tyrant because I don’t know about you but I don’t want the 3min cooldown as the main cd, replacement in the talent tree and so on but this makes a lot of sense.
I’d kinda want it tuned so that Tyrant is the St option while Felguard is the aoe option but that might just be being greedy.

1 Like