Nerf WQ Pet Battles

They’re seriously too difficult. I’ve spent over an hour on one quest, mixing and matching my pets. I don’t have all the pets needed for each WQ, but with some RNG I am able to pass. There shouldn’t be a need to spend over an hour on something like this without any reward.

It feels like I need Epic or Legendary quality pets to beat some of these battles, the enemies are “rare” but they have stats much higher than “rares” we have.

The mini-game is enjoyable. Collecting pets is enjoyable. Dying over and over due to not getting a crit, or the enemy critting me with copious amounts of DoT effects is so blood ragingly frustrating I have difficulty putting it into words for you. I’ve beaten each WQ several times, through being stubborn, I want those charms man. Those delicious, coins.

Suggestion: Tweak the NPC stats, or lay a blanket buff on all basic pets players can own. Maybe even consider giving us higher quality stones for Epics.

TL;DR - RNG bad, my collection is decent, please make battles less cookie cutter and more open ended.

20 Likes

I agree, having same experience with Darkmoon faire pet battles. I usually beat them both with no problem. Today I have lost 10 times, they crit almost every hit and I am hitting well below the minimum damage my attacks are supposed to hit, and never crit hit them. So far personally I think Shadowlands expansion is bs and am truly sorry I spent my money on it. WoW is now just like everything else, no real effort is being put into it, just rehash old content and have the npc’s basically cheat with how they randomly crit hit over and over.

5 Likes

Not sure what you’ve run into at the Faire. I just ran both Jeremy and Christoph with same teams I’ve used for months and won easily. Never saw any noticeable differences with way battles are working.

For Jeremy, using two Mechanical Pandaren Dragons, Christoph an Enchanted Broom and Lil’ XT. Never needed to use 3rd pet with either trainer.

5 Likes

They’ve changed Flurry, I believe, so that it takes two turns to break things, like Bubble. They might be using something like this. From the WCP & Xu-Fu’s Discord:

" I think a bunch of you are already aware of this, but don’t use Flurry strats against Christoph, its interaction with barriers had been demoted to “block all as if it were a single hit”. You’re welcome to check various Stampede strats, the 9.0 modification didn’t affect them much."

3 Likes

Working the Pet Trainers in Pandaria and Draenor there are several where longtime strategies have stopped working because of the ability nerfs that hit with the SL pre-pre-patch. Anything involving the stampede/flock/rush sort of abilities and yeah, in some cases flurry, can make a huge difference. Sometimes can get around it with same team by changing how you use them, in a few cases it’s now impossible with team you’ve been using for over a year.

I guess I had no problems at the Faire because wasn’t using anything involving the nerfed abilities and don’t think Jeremy or Christoph do either.

https://www.wow-petguide.com/?Strategy=1844

This one worked well for me. Enchanted Broom and Iron Starlette.

2 Likes

For alot of us reading your post, you don’t have to put your frustration into words, because WE KNOW! Aggravating! Impossible! Amazing, and suspicious, the number of crits those npc teams get! It’s rigged!
And maybe luck does favor them. Luck, and what they are is the best they will ever be.
They will never change their play order, never change an ability, never spontaneously trade out a pet. They will never change.
Beat them once decisively, And you will beat them 9 out of 10 matches.
Being op is the only way they can compete.

6 Likes

You have 330 pets, and only 19 of them are level 25. The issue isn’t that the WQ trainers are too hard, it’s that you haven’t taken the time to train up a decent enough stable to beat them.

In other words, just like in nearly all other aspects of WoW, you need better gear.

11 Likes

Pet battle pve will always be low quality content. They aren’t designed to be fun, they are designed as rock paper scissors. Once a strat is found there’s no reason to experiment anything else.

Lucky for you they completely trivialized shadowlands and used the same charms from BFA. You have an ikky and an Unborn Valkyr and thats all you need. Keep an eye on the WQ from BFA nzoth invasions Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Uldum (maybe some in mechagon/nazjatar too). Check the strategy on xufu pet guides and if its an Ikky strat then the fight is completely trivial for free charms. There is little reason to waste time on a shadowlands pet world quests

1 Like

Except it’s not acceptable, you see that when you are doing the family challenge.

I’m doing Faryl with the aquatics and guess what? I have to count on an insane amount of RNG if i wish to win.

Pet battle should be like to solve a puzzle, not a RNG based activity.

1 Like

i just do lvl 1 battle pets. most of the time, i can win just buy finding a pet that is strong against what i am fighting. maxx guy with three undead is the only one that gives me grief, and i wont do it anymore

4 Likes

Agreed, it’s stupid that I have to have three specific pets and follow some damn online crap just to be able to win one of these. You should be able to win using tactics and choosing the right pets. Way overtuned.

5 Likes

I use an unborn valk and 2 nexus welps lol. Usally decimates most. Every now and then one will trip me up and I change strategy

1 Like

Ely, I agree completely. I have had to resort more times than I care to doing lvl 1 battles just so I can get the rep from the quest. :frowning:

You have to spend some time leveling up battle pets and developing teams before doing WQs. There are some who are standbys: Iron Starlette, Ikky, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti, moths, rabbits, frogs, and others. WQs and Legendary battles have always been this difficult, this expansion feels exactly the same. I have had no issues at all following Xu-Fu’s strategies.

They made some changes to pet abilities before Shadowlands, but Xu-Fu’s has accounted for this. If you look under their Guides section, you can take a look at “most used pets” to see what you should be shooting for.

WQ’s are cake compared to Family Familiar!

3 Likes

So you want to use tactics and pick the right pets, but not the tactics and right pets because they’re on a website? wut?

There’s nothing making you use sites like Xu-Fu’s or Wowhead. You can look at the enemy team, and go over your available pets to try and figure out which pets would work best. But like all other content in the game, if you don’t have the right gear to handle the fight, you’re going to lose. That’s how the whole game is - why should pet battles be any different?

2 Likes

I’ve had difficulty for sure. The one with flying in Ardenwald and the one with Undead pets in Maldraxxus tested the extremes of my limits. However, I like the challenge. I hate mindless battle pets, they’re sloggish and boring. But these recent battle pets tested the limits of my pets and I’ve been having fun. I had to change up my pet armory, bring in new pets I’ve never used. I now have all of the pet battles on farm, and I’m not even using any extremely rare pets (wild etherwyrm is incredibly strong against most flying by itself).

2 Likes

Yes, it IS acceptable, Because I am doing the FAMILY CHALLENGE.
The game is challenging me to take them on, and on THEIR terms, hence the CHALLENGE.
I haven’t yet seen anything to worry me in these Shadowlands “Epic Battle Pet” pretenders.
So far, I haven’t spent more than a couple of hours on any one of them.
Tough was Master Flummox vs. the Dragonkin.
Or Snozz vs. the Beasts, or god help me, and He did, Snozz vs. the Elementals.
Whatever would we do w/o the Howl Bomb? Just fine, is how we did. We couldn’t trifle though, we had to TRY… some more than others. I try to make my own teams.
I don’t have to though.
When I started PVE Pet Battles, I was angry … often.
Seemed like the breaks always (mostly) went the NPS’s way.
I still think it, just not as often angry. Its the best they can do, and, relax…
Its a Challenge, not a Gimee.

2 Likes

Family Familiar can be a nightmare for sure…

3 Likes

Every WQ pet battle has a strategy that works and is flexible on which pets you use, but they ARE much harder in SL than they were in BfA.

The ones in Maldraxxus give me hives at times. They are doable, however, and if you have particular ones you want ideas for, we can shoot the breeze about how I do them/how my other pet battle guildie does them to see if it helps. Once you get an established team for all the WQ battles, it’ll all become daily rote, so I actually appreciate that some of them are hard enough that I’m not completely facerolling them all, yet.

That said, they nerfed some stuff in 8.3 for pets, and that has made some of the past special battles undo-able. I spent hours and hours trying to get the celestial bunny off Algalon the Observer yesterday. I tried EVERY strategy posted on Wowhead, Xu-Fu, Reddit, YouTube…and got creative with trying my own. Nothing works.

The battle has fundamentally changed from two years ago when people were using successful strategies to defeat it. Nothing works, and I’m about to get to “putting in a ticket” levels of upset over it. :slight_smile: