Nerf Mage Tower now or I unsub

It’s hard, but if you just spend enough time to master the fights… oh wait, you can’t because it’s a limited time event to force people to login during December and boost their Q4 active users.

4 Likes

I went in with SL gear and had my SoD gems thinking they were enabled for the arcane challenge. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think farming gear specifically for this is too much. I would put more weight on being able to make adjustments after the wipes.

The challenge to me is fine but the bait and switch in terms of tuning from the ptr to live I don’t agree with.

2 Likes

Ok bye bye.

1 Like

Only talking about BM Hunter Challenge.

I was able to do the BM one, but had to use a leech set I made, and I used a weird shadowlands heal/shield trinket I got from a world quest. I was 32% leech. Even with the leech it was make one mistake, and die. My best attempts before going leech were 30%ish

My main issue before going for more leech was just dying from the worm’s sonic screech thing while I was fighting the Tauren. I would take no damage between intermission phases, but when the worm was back out I just would constantly get knocked down to 50% health, or below. More leech helped me heal to full during intermission, and the trinket helped a lot though. You still need to never miss an interrupt or you or your pet get one shot.

Aside from the worm’s AoE attack, everything else felt fine. It should be a mess up once, and you fail challenge. You shouldn’t be at risk of dying from doing the fight perfect though.

If they were to nerf the BM Hunter Challenge, I’d just nerf the worm’s sonic screech thing’s damage by like 15%-20%.

It is true. On the PTR, the challenges were tuned a bit easier than they were during Tomb of Sargeras. Not trivial, but doable if you played pretty well. Also allowing room for a mistake here or there.

Blizzard, for some reason buffed everything immensely so now most challengers are harder than they were during Nighthold when it originally launched.

We are stripped of everything that “completes” our characters since Blizzard keeps designing us with borrowed power in mind. And the Mage Tower was content designed with borrowed power in mind(Legion legendaries and the artifact). The loss of all borrowed power plus the huge buff, is just, hilarious in a frustratingly sad way.

I assume they did this in an effort for time played metrics. Hoping people would go run old content for socketed gear to get that “BiS TW’ing set”. But it’s going to have the opposite effect for the vast majority of the people who were hyped about the Mage Tower coming back.

I know a lot of amazing players, and while some have managed to complete a challenge or two this go round, they’ll openly admit the tuning needs to be fixed. It’s also funny that a lot of the people defending this utter insanity of tuning, haven’t even beaten the challenges. This TW version, nor the original back in Legion. lol

No one wants these to be completely trivial, well okay, I’m sure some people do. But most of us just want it to be tuned to a reasonable level of difficulty considering we will literally have Legion TW’ing twice a year after this initial 2 week event is over. (BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion, 3 week gap between each, that’s 5 months between Legion TW’ing).

These should be tuned in such a way they are challenging for the average player. Personally, PTR tuning was pretty good. The way they are tuned now, it literally screams bad design. Like… It may be accessible(for a couple weeks out of the year) But, it’s also not accessible at all given the outrageous tuning that means its completely out of reach for 99% of players.

Timewalking is supposed to be a fun throwback, And this tuning makes it anything but fun. People are gonna get so frustrated they won’t bother. And considering how hyped up this was, a lot of people stayed subscribed just for this, or resubscribed solely for this. Those people may very well leave, some for good.

And despite people doing all the “Kay bye Felecia” and “lul get gud scrub” comments, losing players isn’t a good thing. Regardless of how they play the game and the varying skill levels. Every time someone quits, it hurts the game. Just because some people want to be douches with their hands over the ears with their eyes closed going “lalalala” doesn’t change that fact.

The Timewalking Mage Tower 100% needs tuning adjustments. I just wish Blizzard would actually listen to PTR feedback, especially considering a lot of people dedicate quite a bit of time into testing things and providing said feedback. Completely ignoring that only to mega buff everything is just, sad. Frustrating. Disrespectful. And as our old forum friend Rastlin(spelling?) would say, a slap in the face.

TLDR: Rambled. Read it or don’t.

9 Likes

Heck me Ele shaman on Agitha can only budge her HP to about 70% then the imps heal her to 100%… Now the frost mage boss pretty much im getting 1 shotted and the worms and tuaren as well 1 shot basically… now the void boss i pretty much an only get his HP down 70% reguardless idc who says what all of them are over way to over tuned… thats horrible when you can even budge the HP on the bosses hardly due to it being overtuned

Nah, it’s fine. You have two weeks.
Just plan, and practice. Don’t be lazy.

Have you tried building a TW set or are you just using random pieces? Obviously some stuff doesn’t work but there are BIS items that will help.

If you are still struggling feel free to send me your gold.

It’s the same sht all over again, but worse this time I guess? I did get a few skins during legion and some of them were like pulling teeth because I stopped raiding long before then. I just came back to the game 3 months ago and I know for damn sure I won’t be able to pull those skins off by running mage tower with a bunch of ilvl 215-220ish alts.

I don’t like when they make content that is gating people out because they don’t run endgame content. The endgame content in the form of mythic raiding and high end mythic dungeons are already there for that purpose and looking at the state of the game I don’t think we need anymore of that - but by all means, keep using my sub money to create content for the 5-10% of the playerbase while you watch the rest of them taking their money elsewhere.

1 Like

Fury warriors was actually a joke… You have to be brain dead to not be able to complete it.

Why is twins 100x harder than this on my MM hunter? rofl

you are a Idiot…

I keep hoping some nocturnal elf or gremlin will complete all the mage tower scenerios for me as I sleep.
Or my cat, she is pretty smart, although she lacks thumbs.

2 Likes

only a few millions left…

2 Likes

Been playing WoW since release off and on. This expansion has been decent, I have noticed that ever since WotLK my dps has never been the same which is my biggest complaint. Back in WotLK I used to easily top the charts in dps or get at least top 5. That’s been my biggest complaint, no matter how hard I push my dps feels throttled kinda like a rental car that limits top speed. But this Mage Tower release has left me furious, no forgiveness. This game has now become a carrot on a stick where the goal post keeps being moved. As much as I love mmo genre and sinking my time into them I’m finally done with this one.

2 Likes

Ahhh brings back good memories. People complaining about the mage tower being difficult, just like old times.

1 Like

A question: would you feel happier if they made some slight adjustments to more reasonably balance the fights on all specs and also have as it used to be - either up once a month for one week, or up all the time?

Whether it’s up all the time or only for a limited time, all of the fights need to be numerically balanced so that they are more reasonably difficult and so that any strats we used in Legion are not invalidated simply because the devs cranked up certain baseline enemy attacks the day before this went live. (For example, you used to be able to kill Karam before Raest, but now on live killing Karam first results in Raest’s baseline filler attack becoming unsurvivable.)

The extremely limited availability of this content is also an issue, but Mage Tower fans will work around that if the challenges are reasonable.

Making the challenges available all the time would not justify the current poor tuning in my opinion.

1 Like

Strategies used years ago on characters that were very different are not going to work.

However I did say would it be reasonable if they adjusted the classes to be more balanced AND made it available more often. I believe it should still be difficult, just not incredibly so due to certain specs not having the proper tools available for the boss abilities.

I mean to be fair, you hardly play the game anyways so I’m not sure you’ll be missed

An estimated 2 million, compared to WoW’s peak of roughly 12 million.

“Only” a few million indeed, now that so many have been driven away by elitist jerk game design.

2 Likes