Need some Canadian culture in WoW

We have a culture? i thought we were just Americans but less jaded.

That is a mistake in itself. It shouldn’t be, they sell a inferior product.

1 Like

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)

Imperial units needed to be overloaded because they weren’t well-designed to delineate between mass and weight.

You seem to make condescending remarks about things which can be proven wrong with mere seconds on Google.

No, they just compare the gravitational force on two objects with the same acceleration due to gravity. Hmm, if F = ma and you cancel out acceleration… what are you measuring?

That’s a double pan balance. Most commonly used balance scales, like the triple beam or medical scale use non-removable control weights. Even if you have a double pan balance scale, control weights will typically be available from the same source as the scale and are accurate within a tolerance stated both on the box and on the weights themselves. That’s why I specifically said this in the case of a control weight.

Because you are comparing gravitational force on one side to gravitational force on the other, readings are precise in any non-zero gravity environment. If you took your doctor’s mechanical scale to the moon, it would still tell you your correct mass. It would NOT be able to tell you the force of gravity acting upon you, though. You’ll need a spring or electric scale for that. Something that compares gravitational pull to an independent force.

In short, balance scales directly compare gravitational attraction, which is also called Passive Gravitational Mass, and is a measurement of mass.

Actually think there are more Letterkenny fans in the US than in Canada.

This whole thing is offensive, i’m sorry.

I didn’t wade into the metric vs. imperial unit discussion earlier… but I’d say you’re hitting the target on this bit here.

Most imperial units were developed over time with some degree of practicality involved… and their correlations probably refined the exact measurements over time as well. They are definitely easy and practical to understand.

… but the math using them is a COLOSSAL pain in the butt.

For anyone who has to do some large-scale calculations, especially when switching between orders of magnitude, the imperial system just turns into an obstacle that shouldn’t be there.

While I can’t say if this the case with certainty, the development of the imperial system is mostly derived from someone getting fed up with imperial units and saying “This is more trouble than it’s worth, let’s rebuild it from scratch using a simple base-10 multiplier for EVERYTHING.”

I find it greatly simplifies matters when it come to the mathematics (especially in the engineering context)… using imperial units turns into a nuisance for anything other than basic measurements.

… yeah, good luck with that.

You’d have a harder time trying to convince people to switch to a base-12 system rather than switching to the metric system. Today’s society heavily relies so heavily on base-10 (which the metric system exploits to the hilt) that only the purely academic can fathom doing stuff in any other base unit.

Interesting concept… but one with a long way to go in order to gain any sort of useful traction. Assuming you’re referring to Tau = 2 * Pi.

In that context, tau is probably the more useful “constant”… but it also does highlight the issue of developing something with practicality in mind (like the metric system) without consider the longer term implications. Pi is easy to calculate when what you’re measuring is the diameter… which is easy enough to measure directly.

The problem? Circle-related mathematics rely on the RADIUS, which can’t be measured directly without taking at least one additional step (back-calculate from diameter, marking two diameter lines with measuring from the intersect… many things). Like the imperial system versus the metric system, one was developed with practicality and easy to understand (at least to the average lay person, not someone doing the mathematics with those measurements)… while the other steps back and says “Wouldn’t it be easier if we did this instead?”

It’s gonna be a good thread, gonna send it.

Come on we need to get more specific than just Canadianisms.

I can’t believe we spent an entire expansion in a salty city like Boralus and there wasn’t a single Newfie-ism. Not a single NPC said “‘Ey b’y, how ya gettin’ on?”

There’s such a thing as Canadian culture? Besides the usual flapping heads and fart jokes, that is?

And entire town of people saying “soorry”

There is lots of Canadian content in WoW.
Prince Andiin = Justin Trudeau lol

1 Like

Not the Maple Pecan Danish? What’s the matter with you?!

Gotta love that show!

It was nicer before with all the softer edges - thanks, Garrosh!

Bob and Doug Mckenzie need to be world bosses.

2 Likes

interesting. i found canadians - at least in vancouver as very hostile, rude and a*sholes in general. maybe it is just my experience past 8 years.

Sorry. /10char

Azeroth is Azeroth, not real life. The most you should expect to see is landscapes reflecting Canadian terrain.

And mooses. Which we have. So something with maple syrup? IDK.

The closer you live to the american border the more american the Canadians are.

1 Like

Isn’t the metric system French?

As a Brit I use Imperial measurements as well though, including people’s height.